Start by marking “Shooting in Sh*tty Light: The Top Ten Worst Photography Lighting Situations and How to Conquer Them” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Sometimes photographers have to shoot in less than ideal lighting situations. Maybe the wedding is mid-day in the middle of a field, or perhaps the event is in a florescent-lit room. These scenarios can be particularly intimidating for beginning photographers who don't know how to handle the many undesirable lighting situations they may encounter.
In "Shooting in Sh*tty L
Published October 26th 2012 by Peachpit Press (first published October 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shooting in Sh*tty Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shooting in Sh*tty Light

Angela Blount
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

From the perspective of a point-and-shoot laymen, this was a really excellent guide to photography troubleshooting (pardon the pun).

The style was more conversational than instructional, laced with plenty of simply-put beginner tips that got me looking at lighting in a whole new way. I can confidently say I was able to retain a number of tricks and theory principles that are going to improve the quality and ease of my future photo sessions, be they casual or staged. The cross-applications to a wi
Renée Doiron
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great reference book for any portrait photographer who shoots in natural light and has struggled with full on sun, color casts, etc. I enjoyed my library copy so much that I have ordered the book for my personal collection as reference material.
Natalie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
get good, get help. 🤷🏻♀ but I’ve been a wedding photographer for 6 years so I’m a little jaded! great tips for beginners! ...more
William C. Montgomery
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
I had low expectations for Shooting in Sh*tty Light: The Top Ten Worst Photography Lighting Situations and How to Conquer Them, by Lindsay Adler and Erik Valind, following Fashion Flair for Portrait and Wedding Photography, the first book I have read by Lindsay Adler. I don't feel like I really learned anything from her prior work. When I ordered Shooting in Sh*tty Light I hoped that a co-author might help Lindsay organize her thoughts and deliver some useful content. I was pleased to discover t ...more
Mary
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
This is a fantastic beginner lighting book, it gives all the normal and most common lighting problems and ways that you can help conquer them. Even for experienced photographers I feel as though it would be a wonderful reminder on the lighting rules that can help you fine tune your craft. Adler has a great way of putting the reader at ease to let them know that they are not alone in wondering where to even begin with crazy lighting situations.
Steve Carroll
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read a few books about how to fix lighting problems and so this was largely review for me but I do think it would be super useful as an introductory book on this topic because it is very practical and clear in advice and focused on just the topic at hand.
Sheila Guevin
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey is a great teacher and more than that she encourages you to get out your equipment and experiment.

She shows you how to make the best of what you own and create art images and portraits under any lighting conditions.

For me, she is the Tim Gunn of photography "Make it work!"

Blaine
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful but short.

Needed more on shots without equipment and lenses. I don't always carry around my reflectors but generally have my lens bag. Lenses a can be used to give effect as well depending on light.
Joe
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for managing light for shoots where bad light is unavoidable. The imformation is concise with good details on settings. This is a great supplement for Lindsay and Erik's classes available on Kelby Training.
Highly recommended!
Aryn Jurgensen
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, clear cut, easy to read, visual and enlightening for ALL photographer levels. Every photographer MUST read this.
Avis Black
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read if you're serious about learning photography. The authors do a good job of providing examples of various bad lighting situations and how to fix them.
Ahmed Ahad
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Lol quickly checked this book out at store. Lots of lil tips for bad lighting.
Caro Lina
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Covers a lot of basic stuff really welk
Fatima Al Shabeeb
Aug 29, 2015
Aubrey Foster
Aug 19, 2014
LETITIA A ROCHE
rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Picture Perfect Posing: Practicing the Art of Posing for Photographers and Models
  • The Adobe Photoshop CS6 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers.
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • The Life Guide to Digital Photography: Everything You Need to Shoot Like the Pros
  • Understanding Flash Photography: How to Shoot Great Photographs Using Electronic Flash
  • WordPress: The Missing Manual
  • A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book: 95 Inspiring Ideas for Photographing Your Friends, Your World, and Yourself
  • Chasing the Light: Improving Your Photography with Available Light
  • Simon: Passionate Photographer _p1
  • Film Is Not Dead: A Digital Photographer's Guide to Shooting Film
  • The Luminous Portrait: Capture the Beauty of Natural Light for Glowing, Flattering Photographs
  • The Adobe Photoshop Layers Book

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99