Start by marking “John Doe (Rizzoli & Isles, #9.5)” as Want to Read:
John Doe (Rizzoli & Isles, #9.5)

John Doe (Rizzoli & Isles #9.5)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  3,736 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
It should have been a night to remember, but Maura Isles can’t recall a thing.

Maura is at a party. A handsome man approaches. He’s charming and sophisticated. She flirts and drinks champagne. And then nothing. Total blackness. Nothing, that is, apart from these two facts: a man is dead and her address is found in his pocket . . .
Published July 23rd 2012 by Transworld

To ask other readers questions about John Doe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Doe

Gary
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent short story by one of my favourite authors Tess Gerritsen. Is this book really only 42 pages when there is so much packed into it. I am not a big fan of short stories as I find it is is very difficult to get into the characters and plot enough to make it interesting. But in this case the characters are well known to me due to the Rizzoli and Isles series of books so I was half way there.

Maura attends a party and meets a handsome man. They get on well while drinking champagne and the da
Vicki Willis
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short, but riveting story with Jane and Maura, except Maura is on the other side of things. Instead of being the ME, she is potential suspect. A short case, wrapped up quick but worth the read if you are a fan of the series.
Mark
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Rizzoli and Isles
A very short story about Maura Isles who becomes victim of a sexual predator or is she the perpetrator?

She meets a nice man at a party and when she wakes up the man is found dead in a park and she does not remember.

The story could have been fleshed out a wee bit more but it is also well written as always.
Emily
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A page-turning short story in between two of the regular-length Rizzoli & Isles installments. Really interesting read that held my attention and had me scratching my head. The reveal at the end was a bit strange, but overall, I enjoyed it.
Brenda
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gerritsen can weave a complex tale any time she likes! Whether it’s a normal length novel, or a short story, as this one is, the grit and tension will pull you in every time.

Dr Maura Isles is at a glitzy, champagne filled fund raiser at the Museum of Science, she is bored, her 6” heels are killing her, and she can’t wait to go home and take them off. Suddenly her spirits lift, as she is approached by a handsome young man in a tuxedo…the night starts to look brighter. When he brings her more cham
David Highton
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A swift 30 minute read - Maura Isles has her drink spiked with Rohypnol but wakes up next morning without having been raped. Rizzoli and Frost get on the case.
Susan
John Doe by Tess Gerritsen is novella 9.7 in the Rizzoli & Isles mystery series set in contemporary Boston MA. Maura, the medical examiner, wakes up one morning without any memory whatsoever of what happened to her the previous night. Last thing she can remember is meeting an attractive man at a party. When she learns the man was murdered overnight, she is petrified that she cannot remember what happened. Clearly, she was drugged with Rohypnol, the so-called "date rape" drug....did it make h ...more
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Maura is roofied
Man she was with is murdered
She can't remember

Very short story
Clever and enjoyable
Unexpected end
Kathleen
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let's pretend that I'm writing a series of books. I have a good idea for the base of the next book, but the story does not want to be a new book. Should I toss the idea away? No, I can turn it into a short story, sell it as a short ebook, thus keeping my character in front of my audience and make a few dollars. It is a good idea, and it works with this short story. In addition, I can add the first chapter of my next book at the end of the story and get some advertising which my reader pays for. ...more
Diane
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great short story - gotta love Rizzoli and Isles! Tess Gerritsen nails it again.

The storyline was right up my alley, some twists and turns of course. Love the chemistry between Jane and Maura and the rest of the characters too. Very different with Maura being the victim this time - different spin on things, plus a reminder of what's been going on in the previous books (which if you haven't read them yet, what's stopping you!).

Highly recommend this to all the Rizzoli and Isles fans - nice taste o
Edward Davies
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Not the best short story, compared to Gerritsen's other work, but still very readable and filled with twists for the short thriller fan.
Chanel Lindsay
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this on Amazon/Kindle Store today, and I honestly had no idea it existed! I love the Rizzoli and Isles series so I immediately started to read this one! With just 49 pages, its a very short story, but an enjoyable one!

This short story follows Forensic Pathologist Maura Isles, who is approached by a handsome man at a party. He's charming and sophisticated. She flirts and drinks champagne. And then nothing. Total blackness. Nothing, that is, apart from these two facts: a man is dead and h
Gaëlle
I was ready to dislike John Doe in the same way I had disliked Freaks, the previous .5 book of the Rizzoli & Isles series. This one was better, though. It was a bit longer (40 pages, I'd say), with a proper crime and interesting character development. I actually would have liked a longer book with this plot.
Elizabeth
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, library
Great novella.
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
John Doe is actually a part of the series that takes place in short story format and it contained just enough “pop” to keep my interest. Maura is at a party in a museum when a handsome man approaches her, they flirt, she drinks and then nothing. Maura wakes up the next morning without any recollection of the night before. Only two things become clear to her upon talking to the police: this man is now dead and her phone number is in his pocket.

At 44 pages, I wasn’t expecting there to be many lay
Gregory Baird
Like Freaks, this is a little bit of filler to get fans hyped up for the next full novel in the series. It's a short story only available as an eBook.

Maura attends a swank party where she meets a handsome, charming man. They talk. They flirt. They drink champagne. In the morning Maura wakes up to discover that a mystery man has been murdered. And all the evidence seems to point to Maura herself. With no memory of what happened the night before, Rizzoli and Isles must struggle with the possibili
Thom Swennes
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
No one is above the law and no one is above suspension.
Dr Maura Isles, a strong supporter of the medical and science community, and a forensic pathologist attached to the Boston Police Department was attending a formal gathering of supporters of the Boston Museum of Science when she met a man that introduced himself as Eli Kilgour. A few hours later she awakens on her sofa, still dressed in her evening attire and suffering from a splitting headache. She couldn’t remember how she got home, or ind
Sharon
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Maura can't find a way out of the formal do she's expected to attend, all dressed up, uncomfortable and with unusually and uncomfortable high heels, she prays for the evening to end.

When she's approached by a very attractive and charming man, she changes her mind. He gets her a glass of champagne, she thinks maybe her luck with men might have changed, they seem to be sympatico, instantly comfortable with each other. Next thing she knows, she wakes up home, alone on her sofa, not sure of the ev
Ellie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
When Maura Isles meets a handsome man at a fundraiser, she welcomes a bit of harmless flirtation. Or that’s what she thinks. The next day she wakes up on her couch with no memory of how she got there. Had she really drunk that much? When Rizzoli turns up at her door with questions, Maura starts to worry. A dead man has been found in the park and he has her business card.

John Doe is a digital short in Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series. I’m not sure the plot suited itself to a shorter form
Matt
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gerritsen weaves a tremendous story into such a short space. I could not put it down from beginning to end and I was so pleased to see this short story appear out of nowhere. It compresses a full length Rizzoli and Isles book (or show) into an easily digestible tale that has you wondering from beginning to end.

When the personal info of Dr. Isles ends up on a dead man, everyone looks to the doctor to see if she could be behind the murder. With the help of her friend, Jane Rizzoli, Isles sets abou
Paulia
In this day in age and all the popularity of CSI shows I doubt any sane women out there still lets a complete stranger get them a drink unsupervised. All in all this was a short story made specifically to compete in the fast dominating e-reading market. Classic 'who dun it' mystery with one of the main characters as the prime suspect when a John Doe is found stabbed to death with her business card and address found in his pockets.
Tanja
>>Diese Rezension und viele mehr findet ihr auch hier: http://wort-welten.blogspot.de/

Nette kleine Unterhaltung für zwischendurch. Allerdings darf man sich eindeutig nicht zu viel erhoffen, schließlich handelt es sich hier um ein doch recht kurzes E-Book, das wie auch schon der Vorgänger, Blutrausch - ZU MEINER REZENSION - keinesfalls mit der eigentlichen Buchreihe und den darin enthaltenen Bestsellern zu vergleichen ist. Dennoch ganz nett und für den Preis auch durchaus in Ordnung.
Chrissie
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
It should have been a night to remember, but Maura Isles can't recall a thing.

Maura is at a party. A handsome man approaches. He's charming and sophisticated. She flirts and drinks champagne. And then nothing. Total blackness. Nothing, that is, apart from these two facts: a man is dead and her address is found in his pocket . . .

I simply love the Rizzoli & Isles series.♥
Aian
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Queen of the dead is a very fitting moniker for Maura. Whenever she met someone and started flirting with them, the next day or two, they would turn out dead. Except for Daniel of course. An exciting and action-packed quickread.
Dhuaine
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Very nice short story, much better than the first one. It had good short introduction, appropriate mystery and thrilling factor, and very good ending that is particularly nice at this point of the series. Nothing to add, nothing to remove, I liked it a lot.
Magpie67
I loved the short even though it was also an episode on T.V. A little bit different but very enjoyable..... Can't wait to start book number 10 in the series. Love this crime fighting team!
Anke
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice read in between, especially after my two disappointing experiences earlier. For the full 5 stars it was just too short.
Sally Pearce
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2012
Short story or full length novel, Gerritsen's books are always excellent. I wish this could have been longer! Wonderful!
Jenn Lambert
liked this story, it's about the same MO that she does.
  • The Dragon and the Stars
  • Busted (Will Trent, #6.5)
  • Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
  • On Call
  • Bones in Her Pocket  (Temperance Brennan, #15.5)
  • Jordan's Stormy Banks (Body Farm, #7.5)
  • Letters to a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6.5)
  • The 1st Victim (Kovac and Liska, #3.5)
  • The 7th Month (Detective D.D. Warren, #5.5)
  • The Backs (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #5)
  • The Whispers (The Hollows - Short Story, #1)
  • Silent Night (Rock Harbor #5.5)
  • Takeover (Theresa MacLean, #1)
  • Mint Cookie Murder (Merry Wrath, #2)
  • Turn to Stone (Jonathan Stride, #5.6)
  • Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)
  • The Scroll
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)