Start by marking “Catalyst (Ronos, #1)” as Want to Read:
Catalyst (Ronos, #1)

Read Excerpt

Catalyst

(Ronos #1)

The city of Northgate has just been attacked by aliens, and Mac Narrad's family is right in the middle of it. Searching through the rubble to find them, Mac discovers an awful truth.

The alien attack was fake. Orchestrated by the earth military that Mac is a part of. Now he must search the galaxy for answers. His quest leads him to the mysterious planet of Ronos. A secret p
Published August 31st 2012 by Booklocker.com

To ask other readers questions about Catalyst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catalyst

Rabid Readers Reviews
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have always been the person at the back of the University English class who instead of looking for symbolism in stories raised their hand and said, “Maybe the author was just bored that day?” In the case of Catalyst, I kept seeing social commentary where perhaps there wasn’t any. Citizens opted to have multi-media devices inserted in their brains known as “Imps” that could control their very view of reality. Was this a comment on social media and the way it shapes our outlook? A group of peopl ...more
Melissa
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eh.
Needs a good stiff editing (not too bad from a copyediting standpoint, but the pacing and word-choice is off sometimes.). And it's... definitely not hard sci fi. There were several points of massive science fail (lasers *don't work like that*, for example...). And it was a little--whiplash-y. It felt like the reader was being jerked from one Exciting Thing to the next, without really having a chance to process any of them or whatever. (view spoiler)
Joshua Spotts
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Mac Narrad is just a young soldier in Earth’s Army, an army full of secrets, none of which he knows. When catastrophe strikes, Mac is determined to find out the cause and to discover the truth of the military secrets. But finding the truth, a quest that leads him to mysterious planet called Ronos, will give him a responsibility to reveal it. And chief members of the military will do anything to stop him.

Catalyst, Tyler Rudd Hall’s debut novel, is a very good work of science fiction. The immedia
Cian Goggin
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Wow I thought this book was amazing!! It was really well written, with brilliant, interesting characters that is one of the reasons that will draw you in as well as a great story, that had me reading it none stop(even taking a break from Netflix which I have become addicted too). It was a great Sci fi book and a credit to its genre and I would definitely recommend this as a book to read. Looking forward to Book 2!! :)
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, good solid characters and the action starts pretty early on. Looking forward to book two.
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Catalyst is a very engaging sci-fi book set in a future where we have vast technological advances and have mastered the ability to visit other planets. The story follows Mac, a man who has joined the Earths military in order to get information about an abduction that saw him lose someone dear to him. We enter the story with the city where Mac and his family are reuniting together only to become victims of an alien attack, only something about it doesn't feel right. From this the story goes full ...more
Joseph Carano
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won all three books of this trilogy in a Goodreads giveaway. I've read the first one and it is a fairly good adventure sci-fi adventure. It follows a character named Mac, who watches his hometown get blown up, and his search to uncover the truth. Was it a conspiracy ? Was it an alien invasion ? Filled with quite a few interesting characters. It has got me reading the second book.
Rachael
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I think people have done a good job of reviewing the good aspects so far of this book, but I just want to mention a few things that I saw areas of improvement.
First, and I know this has been mentioned before, this book needs a really good thorough edit. It is hard to get passed all of the typographical errors in the book. The repeating phrases and words has already been mentioned before, but they were really a roadblock for me. (My husband and I have been reading the book out loud on various roa
Kay Bolton
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Science FictionFans
Shelves: first-reads, 4-star
Review taken from my fuller Blog Post #386 in July 2013.

A paperback copy of this book was provided to me via the First Reads Scheme on Good Reads (part of the Amazon Family) in return for an honest review.

I have to say that not once was I bored reading this .... actually, it was a shame when it came to an end. I now need to find out what happens next - does Mac manage to get to Lynn in time, does the heinous Raymond get his comeuppance, and will Janelle ever be freed from the Alien threat, oh an
Shelley
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I really liked this book. The main character Mac is great and there are lots of interesting characters and settings. The story is fun and entertaining -aliens or possible military/government conspiracy with plenty of action and twists. It is a really enjoyable read. My husband and one son have been waiting for me to finish the book so they can read it and I think they will also enjoy it. Highly recommended. Thanks for sending me this book as part of a Good reads contest win. I will start the sec ...more
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Catalyst is an extremely well written book. The story itself is a futuristic yarn telling of a society full of conspiracies and an over reliance on technology during an alien war. Catalyst is a smart book but not preachy. The over reliance on technology is an interesting facet that really makes sense to me and is something that is very much reality today. In this setting in lieu of handheld devises people have Implants or, "IMPS" as they are referred to here. Catalyst is surely worth the time, m ...more
Derek
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very engaging and smooth flowing book. Its difficult with science fiction to come up with some original futuristic looks for the human race that are not already in some T.V. show or video game.. But this book is full of original ideas that help the plot and the book flow smoothly. Beautifully written. Great characters that are relatable. Theres a new twist in every chapter that make you want to keep reading. Excellent book. I really enjoyed it.
Kerry
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What do you do when you find out there may not be a war like your military claims? What do you do if you can find out whether or not it's true? One man has lost everything in one moment and has a choice to try and save everyone else along the way. Choices right or wrong that will make him the hunted.
Lisa
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, owned
The storyline of future Earth was captivating. The character development made me feel invested in the story. I would recommend Catalyst for anyone drawn to the science fiction genre. The only drawback, for me, were the number of grammatical errors that I found interrupted my reading flow. I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. Now to wait for book two...
Kevin K
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good story, once I hit about 1/4th of the way in, I didn't want to put it down. I look forward to reading the next book. The writing wasn't perfect, but the story made it easy to overlook the minor issues. Good writing takes lots of practice, and the author already has the hard part figured out.

David Fox
Mar 19, 2014 is currently reading it
Well I have to say that Tyler Hall has a way of writing that keeps the reader going; "give me more".

The first chapter was a little confusing, while trying to get people in place with Mac trying to get caught back up with his family. Mac is telling his family about his IMP
Samantha
I really liked this book. It has some unexpected things happen. It really made me chortle when they started to figure out what changes the gas did to them. It was a great first book and I really can't wait to see what happens in the next one.
Jazlyn
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I cannot wait for the next book!
Ihatethatguy
Mar 03, 2013 is currently reading it
Shelves: first-reads, owned
I have recently won this from GoodReads giveaways and am completely intrigued by this story.
Will definitely change this review once I have read the novel. I can hardly wait!
Elise Wanders
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let me preface this by saying I generally prefer Fantasy over sci fi (though I like both), and that writing style is a huge factor in whether I like a book or not and I strongly prefer Third POV Limited or First Person. I have also only read this book and part of the second, but not the full series. I read this book a while ago and I haven't left a review on Goodreads before. So that all affected my view of this book (and this review) before getting into any of the actual content itself.

I wasn't
MMMTP
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating : 3.5
This is good sci-fic book , fun to read and enjoy.

But the book has big flaws specially in the narration part . The majority of the book has been narrated through Mac. But yet in some places in the book this has been broken to get the prospective of other characters. Which is not a bad thing but if they are in between a characters chapter , it would be nice for some "" (Quotation marks) .

One other thing to note that is found in the language is to stiff . When a he narrator is speaking
Ian Terry
Nov 21, 2012

• A Cold Black Wave
  • The Fractured Road - Part 1: East and West
  • Intelligenz
  • Thank You For Your Cooperation (Bunker #1)
  • Among the Dead
  • Reassigned (Codename Fairy Godmother, #1)
  • Fallen Book 1:  Separation (Volume 1)
  • Submerged (Outbreak, #1)
  • Day 8: New Human War (Part 1)
  • Shape of Secrets (46. Ascending, #2)
  • Ascent (Ascent, #1)