Start by marking “Maelyn (The Nine Princesses Novellas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maelyn (The Nine Princesses Novellas, #1)

Read Book

Maelyn

(The Nine Princesses Novellas #1)

Months later, the king returned home and presented his astonished queen with not one, but nine baby girls. “One from each kingdom I visited,” said the king. “They are orphans.” The queen wept joyously at the row of cradles, each bearing a sleeping infant. After bestowing a kiss on each child’s forehead she said, “Now they are princesses.”

Book 1: Maelyn was not born a princ
Published June 29th 2012 by Amazon (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Maelyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maelyn

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Free on Kindle!

I really liked this book! As you can read from the description, the Queen could never have any children and she so wanted a girl, so her King went to different villages and brought back 9 orphans that became their little Princesses. This is Maelyn's story.

Maelyn is the ruling Princess of the Runa Realm, she is the oldest of her adopted sisters.

Unfortunately, their parents, the King and Queen passed, well not at the same time, but anyway, t
Cora Tea Party Princess
This was definitely amazing for a novella.

Go and download it now. Go on. It's free on kindle.

As an adult, I thought it was great. I would have enjoyed this as a teen too and as a child would have loved it. It has all of the right ingredients for a fairytale.

And that's what I think this is - a fairytale. It has a soft, lyrical narrative, an evil uncle, conflict between the characters and a moral to the story. Perfect for escaping for anyone of any age.

Maelyn is a great character.

Ten minutes of ca
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
I was in the mood for a light fun read, and this novella was perfect. I loved that this novella was about nine sisters. Far too few books have big families in them! Although they are not a focus of the story, anyone who has siblings can understand the sister’s interactions with each other.

Maelyn is also an avid reader. It was fun to see her dismay over a lack of books to read, and her excitement over new books.

The only confusing part of this novella is the character Willow. In this story, he is
Faith
This was a cute, not-too-long, Princess story. It was free on kindle so I got it and read it. I loved Willows and Maelyn!! Though it wasn't my favorite book, I did enjoy it. :) If you like medieval-feeling stories with some light, sweet romance, read this book. ;)
Madelyn
Literally my only reason for reading this was that we basically have the same name (Madelyn - d = Maelyn). I'm not usually one to pick up cute fluffy princess books, as all of you should know. ;)
Debra
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Anita Valle
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: princess-books
This book is now free to download on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, as well as a few other sites that offer e-books. :)
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maelyn was recommended to me by a friend, but alas, it languished on my bookshelf (well, my Kindle) for months before I, having an afternoon with nothing to do and nothing but my Kindle to read, decided to give it a try. As it turns out, this is one of those books that's absolutely lovely- with the single problem that it's over too soon.

The Good:
-Big families. I love big families, both in books and real life (though I wouldn't want one for myself), and nine sisters is definitely big. I also lo
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

In the Realm of Runa , the king and queen were not able to have any children, so when the King finds a toddler, a lone survivor of a village killed off by the Red Fever, he decides to adopt a child from each kingdom for his wife, and make each of them princesses. Now the eldest Maelyn, rules over Runa, trying to live up to the life her parents wanted. However with the people thinking the princesses are imposters, th
Olivia
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
{3.5 stars}

When I realized this was free on Kindle, I thought, "why not?" thinking that although I wasn't enthusiastic about reading the book there was no reason not to get it. I was looking through my kindle books last night and started reading it...and didn't stop until I finished it about forty minute later!

The writing is simple and the story itself took no difficulty understanding. I think that is one reason why I enjoyed it so much. It's a light read...and sometimes you just need some of th
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
When a terrible fever sweeps the land and kills most of its residents, a young lonely child wanders through the hillsides. Lucky for her, the king and his men find her starving and takes her as his own but she's not the only one. The king also takes in 8 other young daughters to bestow the titles of princesses. This is the story about Maelyn, the eldest of the daughters and also next to be queen, or so she hopes...

This was a very short and quick read. The author introduces the story well and set
Mikayla
Thank was a very cute princess story, I enjoyed the sister interaction though out of the nine princess only four of them really make much of an appearance. I LOVE the cover. It was lovely! I hope to read the rest of the books in this series.
Keturah Lamb
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book sooooo much! Very original, funny fairy tale.

Hannah
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
If you haven't heard of Anita Valle before, then look her up right away. This girl is good. I mean it.
There are few new authors who I can really admire. She's one of them. She stands out from the millions of terrible writers out there like a swan among weeds. ;)
This is the first book in her series. It was not only fun and easy to read, it had a remarkable diversity of characters and a good feel for personality.
Plus, it had a really good point.
In some ways, this author reminds me of Noel Streat
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Orphan Princesses
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: An orphan Princess...!
Everyone in her village is dead of Red Fever, and a young tot the lone survivor, is handed off to 'the shiny man'. An orphan. She was not born a princess of Runa Realm, but Maelyn is now. The king found her, the first of nine orphans adopted by him, given to his love of his life, his wife Runa, who was unable to have children. Months later, the king came home and presented his astonished queen with not one, but nine baby girls. “One from each kingdom I visited,” he said. “They are orphans.” The ...more
Piepie
A short but sweet medieval story. Maelyn is the heroine of the hour, wanting to save herself and her eight sisters from their evil uncle after their adopted parents pass away. She's a bookworm, and she takes charge of the situation. No backing down here! She is brave and courageous, and a tenderhearted individual.
Zoe Race
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the plot and the whole story a lot! But the problem was that Maelyn only thought about herself. I also read Heidel (3rd book in the series) and there you could clearly see that she cared about her sisters and others. Maelyn, well... seemed kind of selfish and too bossy. But overall I LOVED this book! I'm looking forward to the other books (especially about Ivy!!!)
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
An alright read to pass an hour.
It was ok, slightly odd (and don't just mean the front cover), but it was free so downloaded it to my kindle. It was a little far-fetched, even for a princess story.
I wont be reading the next books.
Kelsey
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
it's okay. not bothering to read the other books in the series
Dragonfly
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Maelyn?" Heidel thumped on the door of her bedchamber. "Are you awake?" "No" said Maelyn.

Rating: 10000000000000000000000000000 stars

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH ANITA VALLE IS SUCH A TALENTED WRITER!!!!! All of her books that Ive read have been AMAZING so Im so happy that i also loved this book. I love the concept of this book, the characters, the story line and most importantly the friendships between the sisters.

Maelyn and Willow are my otp and i love them together.

I love Maelyn with all my hear
Yuthika
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anita Valle is a delight. I had read her Sneaky Snow White and Sinful Cinderella novellas before, and this one was just as witty and fast-paced, albeit quite predictable. I liked how Maelyn is neither black nor white, makes mistakes and has a mean streak. I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Kat ♡
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
cute, short read
Jessie
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Maelyn and her nine sisters were adopted by the king after a great plague swept through the kingdom. The king and queen had longed for children for many years and selecting nine orphans from various kingdoms seemed like a good idea. Now the king and queen are dead, and Maelyn is the oldest of the nine princesses. She has to manage her sisters, lead the country with wisdom, avoid her uncle's ploys to remove her from the throne, deal with criticism from people who don't believe she and her sisters ...more
Age Appropriate For: 10 and up for mildly scary descriptions and very mild romance
Best for Ages: 10 and up

I have been into princess, and short stories of late. I have been devouring books on my Kindle that can be read in a couple hours. This story has been one of my favorite finds.

The story is so creative. The plot and the style were unique and charming. Anita has so much imagination and talent that I cannot wait to read her next book. If you are looking for old plots or typical stories, this is
Dixie Conley
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
A disappointing read. The story is of the eldest of nine princesses, each of them orphans chosen by the king. Now that the king is dead, they live servantless and alone in the castle. When the king's brother comes for a visit, he threatens their cozy existence as he's one of those who believes that, as they were born peasants, so they still are, despite their having each been granted the title of princess.

He threatens the eldest with a marriage to get her to go with him, but reveals along the wa
Shelly
This is actually a 3 1/2-4 star read. I want to read the rest in the series. It was reminiscent of Shannon Hale's Princess Academy and her style of writing. Yes, it is probably a little on the young side but the story was engaging, the characters interesting and the premise entirely new, at least to me! Ms. Valle has a gift with words, many of her descriptive passages were lyrical. I'm looking forward to reading the other 8 princess stories and finding out if each one gets her 'happily-ever-afte ...more
Shantelle
A cute, fun story about nine young princess orphans living alone in their castle. Maelyn is the oldest, loves books, and distrusts her Uncle Jarrod, the High King. This books tells a bit of her adventures of outsmarting her uncle, becoming friends with her messenger, Willow, and trying to take care of her little sisters and run a castle.

I believe this book would be appropriate for my ten and twelve-year-old sisters... it was an enjoyable, easy and quick read.
Coralie
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this little story. It was simply written, yet not necessarily predictable. I loved the idea of the nine princesses to begin with, and I'm very looking forward to getting to know more of them in the future novellas. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer! The world is an interesting one, though simple as I've said. I wish that we could go deeper into the world and learn more, but alas, they are only novellas. On to the second one!
Mindy
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very short, entertaining book. I read it in under two hours. The story itself is good, and the characters are fairly interesting. It didn't have me laughing out loud or particularly moved, but it was still worth the time it took to read it.

It's the first in a series of nine books. I'm still not sure if I'm interested enough to read the remaining ones.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 05, 2015 09:21AM
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #0.5)
  • Wren (The Romany Epistles)
  • Truth (Makilien, #1)
  • Annabeth's War
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • The Underground Witch (Incenaga, #2)
  • Water Princess, Fire Prince (The Rizkaland Legends, #1)
  • Betrothal (Queen's Honor, #1)
  • Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Beyond the Iron Gate: Zara's Journey (The Lost Kingdom of Fallada #0.5)
  • Defiance (The Priestess Trilogy, #1)
  • Justice (The Ferryman and the Flame, #2)
  • Severed Stone (Souls of the Stones, #0.5)
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)
  • Fly Away Home
  • Empyreal Fate
I think people like to read lists more than paragraphs, so I'll do my bio as such.

* Born and raised in Philly, home of the best cheesesteaks.

* Except for first grade, homeschooled all the way through.

* Two younger brothers and two younger sisters who are my very bestest friends.

* Married at 20, had three kids by 30. Developed the Nine Princesses during that period.

* Gave up the project several tim

The Nine Princesses Novellas (4 books)
  • Coralina (The Nine Princesses Novellas, #2)
  • Heidel (The Nine Princesses Novellas, #3)
  • Briette (The Nine Princesses Novellas #4)
“Ten minutes of careful searching later, Maelyn faced the dismal truth - she was bookless.” 13 likes
“Maelyn smiled. If books could have litters, she'd be just as happy.” 2 likes