Start by marking “Twilight” as Want to Read:
Twilight

Twilight

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  920 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews

Returning to her hometown was the last thing Laurie ever expected. But with two children in tow, she must begin anew... and face the lifeand manshe turned her back on. Cal has been struggling with his own problems, but the arrival of Laurie brings new hope and meaning to his life. Can he push aside his feelings to simply be the friend she desperately needs? And when the da

Hardcover, Large Print, 625 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight

Teresa Snyder
Loved Cal, the hero of the book. So loving and caring. We read about his struggles with PTSD, and his struggle with getting over (or not) his one and only true love.

Laurie was not so easy to love. In fact, I was was pretty indifferent toward her from beginning to end. Although she did finally realize what was truly important in life, she took us on an adventure to get there.

The story had potential. But it somehow missed the mark, at least it did for me. I never felt a connection between Laurie
Willowy Whisper
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved loved loved this book. I love her style of writing!!! She brings you into the story, capturing your heart with dear characters, and leaving you on the edge of your seat. With a lot of romance, a little bit of danger, and suspense, this book was wonderful!
Carol Nicolas
Laurie Prelane returns to her hometown with her two small children, hoping to escape a dangerous situation and a husband who has lost his way. There she is forced to confront the personal issues that she never resolved as a child and teenager, including her old sweetheart, Cal. Danger follows her, and soon she and her children are again at risk.
Cal Morrison used to be the best firefighter in town until a tragedy left him unable to do his job. Now he dresses in a clown suit and does public educa
Sara
I should know better than to read so many books by the same author so close to each other, but I picked this one up from the library and polished it off in no time. I definitely enjoy Heitzmann's books enough to keep reading, but I am also noticing how every book has nearly the same plot. For me, the ending of a book is what makes or breaks it. Heitzmann tends to build her storylines in an amazing crescendo, then plateau off for a minute, then crash into a resolution that is not at all what you ...more
Connie Brown
I thought the characters were believable and the situation was tenable. I liked the interplay with the main characters and the secondary characters. Loved the older ladies. You felt for the characters and I kept reading so I could find out what happened next.
Jana Lanham
Jeni Enjaian
While this book contained many of the tropes that have endeared previous Heitzmann novels to me, I never really engaged with the narrative or either of the main characters. For some reason the characters felt like Heitzmann held them at arms length. This lack of engagement with the main characters peals away anything that might have obscured the one dimensional nature of Heitzmann's villains. I think Heitzmann pours too much effort into making her main characters multidimensional and real that s ...more
Josephine
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the hero!

Okay, I don't like crime thrillers and this turned out to have some of that which it could have done without, but I loved the way her hero wasn't the usual kind of guy who had his life together. In fact, he was a broken man, but a broken man with a steadfast love of who finds healing and the source of true love. What a neat perspective. Woven into the story you find encouraging truths.
Samantha
Cal Morrison was the best firefighter Montrose had seen; until a tragedy left him with a fear he couldn't shake. When Laurie Prelane comes "home", Cal's memories of a love once lost are stirred. He's no longer the person she knew. Why has she returned? Can Cal be the hero she so desperately needs as danger follows her, threatening all she holds dear? This is definitely an emotionally-charged book. A story of two people hurting in different ways as they try to fill that "empty spot" that only Jes ...more
Jaclynn
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Cal Morrison was the best firefighter the town of Montrose had seen until a tradegy left him with a fear he couldn’t shake. And now...he’s a clown? When Laurie Prelane arrives with her 2 small children in tow, Cal’s memories of a love once shared are stirred even though he’s no longer the person she knew. And maybe she’s not the person he once knew either. She thought marriage could give her everything she desired but now she’s alone. And why has she returned? Can Cal be her hero when danger has ...more
Joleen
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fire-fighting
I wanted to like this, but it kept thinking it might be as good as The Protector, by Dee Henderson which is also a firefighter book. It wasn't and that ruined it for me.
I didn't like Laurie all the way through the book. She used Cal all the way through the book, knowing full well he loved her. Then when something huge happens, her way of thanking a man who wants all of her is to offer only her body?? Ugh. This was awful.
Cal was a wonderful man that deserved way better than this unfeeling user. A
Amy
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Cheesy story with typical ending. I really disliked the fact that although it was laced with religious talk, God was portrayed as kind of the "big grandpa in the sky" that just looks down on you and fixes things. While God is certainly a "fixer," there is a lot more to being a Christian than just looking heavenward when you're in a bind. This was better than the typical cheesy love story in that the characters had some depth, but the whole book was just frustrating to me. Do people really a ...more
Leah
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Separate Peace broke my Heitzmann book marathon—if only I could have made it to ten without reading anything else!

Twilight’s Cal was loveable and Laurie was frustrating, but together they made a good pair.

Overall, I enjoyed learning firefighting jargon and the symptoms and treatments of PTSD.
Marika
Twilight was alright, but it took me over 3 months to read. It was NOT Heitzmann's best novel by far. The characters felt very 2D and the storyline was a bit choppy. I found this book to be a big disappointment compared to her other novels. It did have a few interesting parts, but not enough to make this book a hit. Chances are I will not be buying or reading it again.
KRISTEN LAWRENCE
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

Although I enjoyed the story, there was a lot of repetition. I would actually give this book only 3 stars in comparison to her other books. This is my least favorite. But I went ahead with the 4, since I still really enjoy her style, and the happy ending wasn't as predictable as it could have been.
Kyra
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was soooo good! its about a fire fighter and he was in a relationship with some one and she ends up breaking up with him and moving away to california with a richer man and when she moves back to her old town you will go through the emotions of the two people and all of the hurt and pain they went through together...
Andrea
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good story, with just the right amount of suspense, action, and romance.

I'm still undecided on how I feel about these "Christian" novels though. They seem to be based on born again ideals, and the religious aspect is presented in a way that doesn't flow very smoothly with the rest of the story.
Penny
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an overall good read, but I felt it dragged a little bit. The characters were both troubled in different ways and needed to resolve a lot of issues. In some areas the author did good character development, but in some, the same situations were rehashed. I have never read this author before, but I do want to try a few of her other books to see if they are better.
Hildegart
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
this was the first book I had read by Heitzmann and really enjoyed it. I've been keeping my eye out for another book by Heitzmann that I think I would enjoy, but haven't spotted any in the thrift stores I've been in.
Linda
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2015
Cal is a fireman who has been traumatized by a little girl's death ... Laurie is a wife running away from a drug-abusing husband ... Can God mend two fractured lives and make one whole? Of course He can, if Cal and Laurie will stop getting in His way.
Gretl Dixon
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not always easy to overcome things that cripple us but the rewards of doing so are more thing beneficial. Sticking to our beliefs isn't always easy but worthwhile. God's gift are greater then we can imagine.
CM
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm.....I enjoyed Cal's character, up to a point. Laurie left a lot to be desired. Reggie was my favorite -- I would have loved to see him developed and intermingled more. Mostly an enjoyable couple of days read!
Becky
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the Christian equivalent to the LDS fluff. No, I didn't check it out thinking it was "the" Twilight -the title just caught my eye! Some of these are fun to read, like the LDS ones; at least you know they are clean. This one was pretty silly.
Ellie  Dynek
At times, it seemed like this book was going in a lot of different directions. The characters struggled with a lot of issues that left room for doubt and hurt. But in the end, I thought it was a nice story about the power of God's unconditional love.
Donna sue parton
Another excellent read from a favorite author.

This was a captivating story filled with suspense, engaging characters, and underlying Biblical principles. Helped me realize how much I enjoy a good wholesome mystery.
Lindsey
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Slow and preachy
Deborah
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a rather predictable ending, I did enjoy this book. There was some good suspense.
Emily
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the hero, Cal, and his friend Reggie. I didn't warm up to the female lead though. Interesting story line.
Tee Mcdaniel
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've read.
Kristen
Nov 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
great author, but definitely not one of my favorite books
  • A Shred of Evidence (Seaport Suspense #1)
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • Black Sands (Aloha Reef, #2)
  • The Gifted
  • The Whole Truth
  • True Honor (Uncommon Heroes #3)
  • A Texas Legacy Christmas (Texas Legacy #4)
  • Expect the Sunrise (Team Hope, #3)
  • The Splitting Storm (The Storm Series #2)
  • Whirlpool (The Julesburg Mysteries #1)
  • Secrets of Harmony Grove
Kristen Heitzmann is the award winning author of contemporary romantic suspense, psychological suspense, and historical series. An artist and musician, she'll also be found hiking the Rocky Mountain trails.
More about Kristen Heitzmann...