Start by marking “Haze (The Rephaim, #2)” as Want to Read:
Haze (The Rephaim, #2)

Haze

(The Rephaim #2)

"But what if we can’t find Jude?"
He leans closer. His breath is warm on my ear. "We will."
"How can you be so sure?" I want to believe him so badly, but this is Rafa. The guy who’s all action and no plan. His smile is tired, knowing. An echo of a shared past I don’t remember.
"Because I’m not smart enough to give up, and you don’t know how to."

Gaby Winters’ nightmares hav
Published May 22nd 2013 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Haze, please sign up.
Reader6810 Well, I'm 13 and i enjoyed the book. There are lots of foul language spoken and kissing scenes, but if you can get passed that it is a good book to re…moreWell, I'm 13 and i enjoyed the book. There are lots of foul language spoken and kissing scenes, but if you can get passed that it is a good book to read. Notice how i said "good" instead of "great":) A lot of suspense and fighting. (less)

Start your review of Haze (The Rephaim, #2)
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars.

It’s pretty crazy that I find this series *too* fast-paced. I literally have to will myself to slow down as I’m reading because, the faster I read, the less I’ll remember about the book when I finish it.

In HAZE, the sequel to SHADOWS, Gaby and her crew are looking for Jude, her twin brother presumed dead. Except, they don’t think he died after all, seeing that Gaby’s memories cannot be trusted.

I liked this a little more than the first book to be honest. It would be great if this serie
Deborah Obida
Dnf @ page 49

Gaby is still whiny, indecisive and annoying, Jason is still secretive, Mags still one dimensional and Rafa is the only character I like, but the book is written in Gaby's POV and I refuse to put myself through the torture.
Nomes
I loved paula's debut, Shadows, so, so much (despite it not sounding like a me kind of book). It was addictive and intelligent and sexy as anything. I was stalking my mail box for the sequel to arrive and, you guys, the wait was more than worth it. I loved Haze even more than Shadows.

Straight up: I read this within a 24 hour period, finishing it at 4am. Those are the kind of reading memories I love, being so into a book I cannot turn my light out until I turn that last bittersweet page.

Haze le
Anne

Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

I was really excited for this one, especially since I loved the first book, Shadows.
Maybe my expectations were just too high, or maybe it's suffering for Second Book Syndrome? Whatever the reason, I wasn't quite as blown away this time around.
Don't get me wrong, this was still a good read, but it just felt like there wasn't much happening.
The storyline seemed to be stuck in a loop.
Rafa wants to find Jude, but Gaby is too freaked out by what they may f
Jasprit
Haze was one of my highly anticipated reads of the year. After devouring Shadows, I just had to be back with these wonderful characters in this majestic world once more. When I found out Haze was going to be pushed back to October in the UK, it took me less than a minute to decide that I needed a copy in my hands right now and so was quick to order my copy from Fishpond. And let me say ordering my copy early was so worth it.

It seems like everything that happened in Shadows happened over a long p
Ash Wednesday
SPOILERS AHOY FOR SHADOWS, MATEYS!

3.5 STARS

"If they’re demons, what does that make you lot?"
Rafa taps his sword hilt. "The bastards who know how to kill them."

Rafa likes his testosterone sandwich with a dash of cheese. Just a dash, nothing more.

I've been fortunate enough to have picked my way to the more decent angel books out there and Paula Weston's Rephaim series is definitely one of the better ones. The first time I read Shadows I was taken by the witty characters, a strong, likable h
Ari
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!

Well this felt like one of the best sequels so far…
It’s been a while since the last time I was so lost into a story that I couldn’t put it down. It’s been quite a while since I first read the first book in the series too, but it didn’t feel like time has passed at all. I could easily pick it up from where it ended and enjoy this next part of the journey.

The first book was a bit more action driven than this one. There were many unanswered questions and something had to make up for t
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it

Haze, book two in Paula Weston’s Rephaim series, was addictive, action packed, and frustrating as all hell!

The questions, conflicts, and action continue for Gaby, Rafa, and the entire half angel-all angel-hellion crowd. Twists and turns. Clues and confusion. But for me, this book was not as much fun as the first. The same half-answers, interruptions, and evasiveness that created a swirl of suspense and fun frustration in book one, came across as annoying this time out. Lots of avoiding and stall
Keertana
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Dear Paula Weston,
I hate to break this to you, especially since your novel has already released in many parts of the world, but I think you forgot to write an ending. Do you mind sending me those missing pages in the mail? Or will you accept chocolate chip cookies in exchange for Shimmer? Would a few of my limbs entice you instead?
Sincerely,
Willing to Do ANYTHING For the Ending of This Book

Haze is undeniable proof that Middle Book Syndrome is a thing of nightmares - one that
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Text Publishing for sending me this book. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

'"Yeah, she can still fight," Rafa says, stepping between them and me. "So I'd think twice about taking her on. And if you still think it's a good idea, you'll have me to deal with as well."'

I was talking to my friends the other day about my hostility and malevolence towards angel books and explained to their unbookish minds that they were
Prerana
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That was a whirlwind, and I need to finish the series right now.

And I'm out.
Nic
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of urban fantasy
Recommended to Nic by: Nomes
Loved it! The second instalment in this series didn't disappoint. Actually I think it was even better (just slightly though). I love the writing and the way the story flows. There is always something going on without it feeling rushed. And the characters are the type that you admire and would love to hang out with if they weren't always getting themselves into dangerous situations (especially Rafa).

And talk about a cliffhanger ending. I need the next book like yesterday.

Overall, I wish I could
Isamlq
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
So I’m split once again, loving how we have more of Rafa, how hot then cold then hot he could get, (almost like Barrons of the Fever fame.) But this book suffers what plenty follow ups do: there’s nothing really happening in this one. Could this have been a novella? Perhaps, as the bulk of the changes take place at the tail end and prior that, it’s all about how Gaby’s confused and conflicted (but not to the same degree as she was in Shadows.)

The question then becomes do the good bits compensat
Danielle (Love at First Page)
***Series (books 1-3) Spoiler-Free Review***

Friends have been pushing this series on me for the last year or so, and I'm so glad I finally listened. I was supposed to spread my reading out over the month of April, but I think it took me two days to read the first book and just a day each for the last two. Seriously, I couldn't put them down. I had to know what happened next. Which is the reason I've now found myself in #readerproblems hell: there's still one book left, and Shimmer (book 3) left
Lucy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*** 5 millions stars ***

Have you ever felt this pure happiness mixing with a bit of melancholy after reading a very good book? I'm sure you know what I mean... Of course, if you love books as much as I do, you must have already experienced this feeling that make you utterly exciting when you think back on all the things you loved in the book you've just read... This certainty you've never met so wonderful characters... This sadness after the last page, even if you know there is a next book...

We
Joy (joyous reads)
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Reading Haze is like eating a bowl of pistachio nuts. Peeling the shell is frustrating as hell, but man, are they ever tasty. Paula Weston’s version of angels is the stuff to fear, romanticized, and hero-worshipped. Whatever it is, she’ll have you reading like the devil’s on your heels.

Shortly after Shadows ended, Gaby is even more sure of her identity. Regardless of her past, the life she woke up to is still teeming with trouble. The need to find her brother remains the guiding light that keeps
TheMadHatter
Second Read: 31 May 2020 (4 Stars) - Enjoyed this more on re-read. Probably one of the best Aussie YA Paranormal series out there. Glad I bought all four books at one of the author's book launches :-)

First Read: 8 August 2016 (3.5 Stars)

Original Review

I am really enjoying this series.

What Ms Weston does really well is create a series of mysteries (or unanswered questions) that hooks the reader. I would really love to see her turn her hand to a YA murder mystery :-). What happened to Gabe and he
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Re-read. Original review here. Prep for Burn. :D

***

God, I'm so glad I'm re-reading these all back-to-back because they are so fun and sigh-inducing and kickass and steamy! BUT, I'm also glad I'm done with this one because I'm just THAT much closer to Burn
jessica ☾
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
nick (the infinite limits of love)

Every time I go into the second book of a series, I have a nagging doubt that I just won’t enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed the first. Paula Weston’s Haze, however, proves that there are exceptions to every case. This sequel to Shadows was just as remarkable of a book as its predecessor, or perhaps even stronger.

This book was all about Gaby’s conflicted feelings. At the end of the first book, she and Rafa realize that because her memories were altered, it might be possible that Jude’s were as
Amanda

Haze by Paula Weston picks up right where Shadows left us. After meeting Rafa and discovering that she is part of The Rephaim – wing-less angels, Gaby took on demons and her past. She also found out that Jude, her brother, might still be alive. In Haze Gaby and Rafa travel around the country and overseas to discover the truth about Jude, with the help of some friends and some some not-so-friendly acquaintances.

Here’s my excuse disclaimer: I am a note taker when I read, it helps me to remember li
Eunice

Review for both Shadows (The Rephaim #1) and Haze (The Rephaim #2)

It has really been a very long time since the last time I started an angel book and I am really happy that when I finally decided to start one, a really fantastic and wonderfully written series was the one that landed on my lap. Rephaim was such an amazing series I definitely devoured in a very short time. I had a lot of fun reading this thrilling but beautiful world of half-angels Paula Weston created.

In Shadows, we were
Roxanne
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Netgalley and Tundra Books for allowing me to read and review an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

This series is seriously so cool! I thought I was kind of over the whole angel thing. I loved the Mortal Instruments series when I first read it (hey, I'm not ashamed!) until the fourth book, where it got pretty old. I read "Hush, Hush", and thought it bit, hard. I read "Fallen" and thought it was boring and stupid. So why do I love these "Rephaim" that Paula Weston ha
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loveozya, bookgasm
Haze picks up within moments of where Shadows ended, with Gaby clinging to the idea of Jude being alive. Her relationship with Rafa is complicated, the two dancing around unresolved feelings while Rafa shelters her from the secrets of her former life. The memories of Jude she had clung to are all a ruse, someone having implanted a life that was neither true or her own. She's torn between wanting to find her brother and hesitant that he isn't the same Jude
Rochelle
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aussie-ya, borrowed
I absolutely loved Shadows, and Haze did not disappoint. We are thrown back into the lives of Gaby and Rafa as they try and find Gaby’s brother – who up until a week ago she thought was dead – in hopes of finding out why she can’t remember her true past.

I love Gaby and Rafa so much, individually and together. Gaby is so feisty and brave, but she is also not afraid to cry and show her humaness. And who doesn’t love a girl who can wield a sword?

There are new characters introduced in this book, fie
Rachel
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I read Shadows, so I was worried that I would be lost in book 2. However, Weston graciously dropped some hints that allowed the whole story to come flooding back. I forgot how much I loved this series! I absolutely devoured this book in a matter of a weekend.

Things I loved: The slow-burn between Rafa and Gaby, the growing complexity of the world-building, the introduction of more secondary characters for Rafa and Gaby to riff off of

Things that kept this book from being as
Mădălina  Coman
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is no words that can describe my love for these books! I am so excited to go further and read the third one as well! I am emotionally tied to all of the characters and it feels the same like when I read The Mortal Instruments! I am talking about the same feeling of being part of something bigger than you, the feeling of actually being part of the action yourself! I am not done reading the series yet, but I totally recommend it to everyone! Start reading these books and you will find yourse ...more
Katie
I don't think I have much to add that I didn't say in the first review! I still feel like this is a very solid example of the genre. I can, however, wait until the next book comes out in the US, instead of feeling like MUST GET MY HANDS ON IT NOW.

I think there's just a bit too much action and too little character development for me to really fall in looooooove. Worth trying, though, if you like the genre.
Joy
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-2015
"If they’re demons, what does that make you lot?" Rafa taps his sword hilt. "The bastards who know how to kill them."

Well written story--am enjoying my UF marathon

Re-read September 2015--these books are so good--enjoyed them much more second time--have ordered the last two --excited to be able to finish the series

• Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #1)
  • Avow (The Archers of Avalon, #3)
  • Drop Dead Demons (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #2)
  • Crossed (Soul Eaters, #3)
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
  • Cracked (Soul Eaters, #1)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • Fisher's Light (Fisher's Light, #1)
  • Corruption (Disruption, #2)
  • Sweet Evil (Sweet, #1)
  • Anew (The Archers of Avalon, #1)
  • Disruption (Disruption, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Sweet Peril (Sweet, #2)
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
  • Awry (The Archers of Avalon, #2)
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
Paula Weston is the author of the Rephaim series (Shadows, Haze, Shimmer and Burn). The Undercurrent, a stand-alone speculative thriller set in near-future Australia, is now available in Australia and New Zealand.

Paula worked as a print journalist for many years before becoming a government media and communication specialist. Today she also co-owns a two-woman communication and design agency.

She g

The Rephaim (4 books)
  • Shadows (The Rephaim, #1)
  • Shimmer (The Rephaim, #3)
  • Burn (The Rephaim, #4)