Start by marking “The Basement Quilt” as Want to Read:
The Basement Quilt

The Basement Quilt

2.98  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
You'll love Anne Brown and the Colebridge Community! In The Basement Quilt, a novel by Ann Hazelwood, you'll get to know the family and friends of Anne Brown, a plucky florist whose daily ups and downs will seem so familiar you'll identify with her right away. Anne decides to learn to quilt to help her aunt, and in the process learns family secrets. Then she uncovers a mys ...more
Published July 10th 2012 by American Quilter's Society

To ask other readers questions about The Basement Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basement Quilt

Kim
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I enjoyed this book. I loved the idea of "spirits" mixed in with quilting. I sometimes felt the time line was confusing. It either went too fast or two slow with regards to the story. I do plan to read more of Ann Hazelwood's books because I did enjoy her story-telling.
Deb Blackbourn
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, although it seemed somewhat "simple". It took me a while to get "into" the book. For a few occasions when I sat down to read, I told myself that I had paid for the book so I should read it & not set it off to the side.

I did like the family coming together to quilt but the conversations seemed somewhat stilted. I found the "spirits" that visited the basement quilting humorous. I would recommend the book to someone who quilts but I would note that the story was cute but th
Carol
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stc-bookclub, donate
Just OK for me. Although I enjoyed the mention of local businesses and events mentioned knowing Author was referring to Main Street (really St. Charles, MO) i.e. J. Noto's Bakery, Michelle's, Festival, etc., and could invision the decorations of the area at Christmas time because I live here, I was quite disappointed the book's ending was "to be continued". I also found "The Kodak Moments" to be a bit much. Sorry Ann.
Deb York
Oct 14, 2012 rated it did not like it

I agree with Susan MO, this one of the most poorly written books I have ever read. Not only is the plot predictable, but apparently no one proofread one sentence. Many grammatical & punctuation errors. Don't waste your time. My 8-year-old grandson could have written a better book!
Gloria Mccracken
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
The thing about a wildly successful series is that it spawns other similar series. Sometimes they are almost as good, sometimes even better. This is the first in an Elm Creek Quilters wannabee series. It is not as good as that one. But, worse, it emulates one of that series' great faults: Where the writing for Elm Creek Quilters is pretty clunky, this one is dreadful. There is, for example, very little attempt to let the characters show by their words or actions what they're feeling. The author ...more
Cheryl
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about a family who gets together to make a quilt. They feel that the grandmother is looking over them while they make it and things happen, like a thimble appearing and quilt squares being put together without them doing it, makes them sure their grandmother is there. While they are making the quilt several secrets come out. An enjoyable Christmas story.
Kathie
May 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I did not care for the way this book is written. I have found that I am not a fan of books in which a "ghost" makes things happen. I guess I would rather have the people in the book be in charge instead of relying on something else to make a happy ending. I did not read this book past the third chapter and traded it along with the next two in the series to members of paperbackswap.com.
Hpreeder
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh, interesting story line, but the writing was very basic. Not many adjectives or adverbs in the whole book. Easy to read, but could use some depth. I felt like I was reading the woman's journal vs a novel. Good to read when your ability to concentrate is low!
Jun 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Hmmm. This was used way too much! Jim and Julia remarrying, Sam's ex, Brenda were all left up in the air, and should not be carried over to another book. I won't be continuing with the series.
Nikki
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the theme of family working together to hand stitch a quilt. I loved the way the characters shared and supported one another as they all worked through changes in all their lives.
Tanya
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
ok, but not outstanding. way overuse of !!! in places with writing was stilted, not at all how someone would really speak.

Di Schlenk
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this book and looking forward to the next book in the series
Dru
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just a fun book about a family who loves quilting. This is the first in a series. Will probably read more as time goes along.
Sharon Buxton
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
C-. fiction, relatives, relationships, series, #1, somewhat weird, more "modern" than what setting and atmosphere warranted.
Marcia
Jun 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book because of a research project I'm working on, and if I could have tossed it aside, I would have done so before the first page. The author provides a character list and an authorial note to describe the surrounding community--both in such contrived, static ways that neither are necessary as a good writer would have covered those details within the exposition of the narrative. The prose, particularly the dialogue, is halting, grammatically-incorrect, and often antiquated. Fur ...more
Heather
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: quilting-books
Awkwardly written and poorly engaging. I finished the book in hopes that the mystery basement presence would be more than what it was (it wasn't). This made the plot generally dull and disappointing - especially because there was so much potential for more. Characters were fairly standard, with bland personalities that didn't truly capture my interest.

The first person point of view writing revealed antiquated language and a poor sense of the overall family and community that this book was suppo
Sherry Sharpnack
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was looking forward to starting a new "quilting" series of fun mysteries, so have looked forward to starting this series about Anne, who runs a flower shop, and her family in the fictional community of Colebridge, Missouri. I am also from Mizzou, although from the other side of the state from the location of Colebridge. Anyway, I thought the book started kind of breezily and w/o any digging into the characters, and I just didn't feel that I liked the author's abilities. Both the author and I w ...more
Jill
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
# 1 in a series. Anne Brown owns a Floral Shop and is the narrator of the series. She is 29 years old and lives with her mother in the family home in the fictional town of Colebridge, Missouri. The author has kindly listed the main characters of the book so you easily can remember who's who. However I found the book was an easy read and didn't want to put it down, so I didn't need to use the list too often. A great mystery with no murder and a little romance. Anne's Aunt Julia wants help quiltin ...more
Paula
Jan 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I rarely give such a low rating to a book. I feel authors put their time and something of themselves into their books. And even if I don't care for a book, others probably do. But this was a book that seemed to be very hard to read or like. The conversations between characters were so stilted that they seemed like they belonged in the Dick and Jane primer series. In some parts, the awkwardness of the writing almost made me think that a person with English as a second language wrote this book. Th ...more
Gretchen
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but the writing style really ruined it for me. There were several places where it was not clear who was doing the speaking, among other things. The idea that a 29 year-old would talk all the time about Kodak moments was also a bit disturbing. there were also a few places where it didn't make sense that certain people were saying certain things, but that may just be my not understanding who was speaking all the time.

I will not be reading the other books in this series
Darla
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Oh my! What a poorly written book. Shame on the American Quilter's Society for not editing this novel.

As I read I kept thinking it seemed like someone had written a bunch of sentences down on a sheet of paper and then called it a novel. I looked at the author's writing history and found titles like 100 Things You Need to Know About a Quilt. That would explain it.

I won't read any more in this series.
Danita W.
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
When I read I read for entertainment and for the joy of just reading. I congratulate anyone who attempts to write a novel and finish it. I enjoyed The Basement Quilt because I like quilting and I love to read. I thought the book was refreshing and an easy read and I will read the other books in the series.
Donna
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't know anything about quilting, but I am always on the look out for a mystery series, so when I found this in the library, I figured why not? I'm glad I did. Modern women, modern problems, not perfect characters and maybe a ghost. I enjoyed this book. It was a nice change from the more complicated books I tend to read. I am looking forward to reading more in the series.
Meri-Lyn
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like the characters and the idea of this series. The stiff writing style often interferes with the flow and makes it hard to immerse into the story. I am planning to go on and read book 2. I like Anne and Sam together.
Denee
Jul 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
I admit that I was unable to finish this book. Not only was it painfully slow, but the idea of there being more than one was a bit too daunting a commitment for me. I love a good series, I just could not envision this being one.
Marlene
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
First in the series. Writing is rough and author uses poor sentence structures that catch the reader's attention and thus get in the way of the story a bit. But I love quilting and will read the entire series because of that. Would not, however, recommend the book to my mystery reading friends.
Priscilla
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very easy to read nice story
Danielle Wilson
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Predictable plot and characters that just didn't ring true. Pretty one dimensional. If you don't want to think too much and like to read about quilting, it's an ok book.
Naomi
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
a fun read for quilters...
Debbie Gordy
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The sentence structure made it really tough to want to read and I actually put the book aside for awhile. Once I got past the sentences and lack of punctuation, I started to enjoy the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »