Start by marking “Out of True” as Want to Read:
Out of True

Out of True

The poems in "Out of True" flow through the stories of life and love, deep feeling and light perspective, all with a foundation in the elemental core of the human spirit.
Published August 1st 2012 by Luna Station Press (first published July 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Out of True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of True

Start your review of Out of True
sj
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't consider myself to normally be a poetry person. I think much of it has to do with the fact that I had many friends in my youth (well, "many" may be overstating the case, as I never have had what one would consider "many friends," but many OF the friends I had) who would mention that they wrote poetry when introducing themselves to people. I even remember one asshole asking upon meeting me (when I was at a coffee shop with said pretentious friends) "And what do you do?"

"Um...I read an
Serena
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Out of True by Amy Durant, blogger at Lucy’s Football, has a poignant dedication in the front: “To everyone who doesn’t quite fit: You do. You will. Keep going. You’re almost there.” And in many ways, this dedication sets the tone for the collection. There are a number of poems in the collection that talk about love and loss, but there also are those poems heavily focused on things and people that are just out of reach as the narrator continues to strive for the ultimate goal.

Durant has a frank
Lynette Aspey
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

What to say ... well, I was awarded this book via my very awesome bookclub, The Geek Girls, and I was so thrilled to actually win something-- for once -- that I opened the file on my kindle expecting a novel and discovered a book of poetry (insert internal groan here). C'mon, I thought, POETRY? Now? My life did not call for poetry, it wanted wonder, escapism, cool imagery, language that twanged my soul-strings and yes, betrayal, lust ... romance ... ahhh. I needed a "break" not "poetry".

So I lef
Kate Sherrod
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"I will spin stories that make your past disappear."

As someone who is known for having hitched her poetic wagon to formal poetry's star, I am not a fan of free verse, as a rule. It's a form -- or lack thereof -- that tempts too many pretentious yobboes to regard their half-baked lyricism as Art that Must Be Taken Seriously and to rely on half-baked surrealism to stand in for imagery. You know the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

There are poets, though, who I think do free verse well. T.S. Eliot
Katy
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of poetry
Recommended to Katy by: Insatiable Booksluts
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Poetry
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: those who like poetry
Trigger Warnings: Domestic violence

My Thoughts: Poetry is a highly subjective read, and thus very hard to rate. This is freestyle poetry, which is the kind I also tend to prefer to write, so I can't rate on rhyme and meter or any of the sorts of technical details that more structured poetry would require. The only technical merit upon which I can judge this book is editing, and that is well-done.

The poems themselve
C. Vescio
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My second poetry book in as many months... my old Lit teachers would be proud of me... but this isn't about me this is about a book of poetry that- for lack of a better phrase- kicks some major ass.

I'm used to Amy Durant as a more whimsical writer- so this floored me a bit (in a good way). To have such a range as a writer is something I love to see.

I would recommend this book to anyone- even if poetry isn't your thing, you might be surprised. Amy shows a fierce talent for prose and a sharp way w
Sara Habein
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Despite a tendency to try and tie too neat of a bow on some of the poems' endings, I really enjoyed this collection about a life knocked off-kilter by love.

(My full review appears on Glorified Love Letters.)
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 21st-century, poetry
I wrote up a review at my site, The Two R's!

Cassie
Feb 28, 2013
Sep 01, 2012
Elizabeth
Jul 27, 2012
I live on the internet and I write a lot.

I like chocolate and animals and intelligence and punctuation. As one does.

It seems to have become a thing for people to contact me to review their books. Please stop it. I'm not interested. If I wanted to review your book, *I* would contact *you*. There are better ways to contact me than through Goodreads; if you're savvy, you can figure out what those ar