Start by marking “The Promise” as Want to Read:
The Promise

The Promise

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  344 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
When pastry chef Jane Gray tries to sell her daughter's locket, she becomes the unlikely subject of a massive police hunt and fodder for London's tabloid press. Secrets unravel, lies are exposed, and the Duke of Rutledge demands custody of his niece.

Published July 11th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published June 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise

Filter: 5 stars
Kate Worth
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Can an author write an unbiased review of her own work? Probably not, but I'll give it a try.

It took me a little over a year to write my first book, The Promise. From the beginning I adored my heroine Jane and her rascally love interest Finn. I set out to write the kind of book I like to read, a sexy romance with an engaging plot, intelligent, believable characters, and interesting historical details. I enjoy a spicy read with blistering chemistry... a romance wrapped in an imaginative, well-con
☕ Kimberly
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rating The author gifted me a copy of The Promise and I was immediately intrigued by the synopsis. While the cover whore in me said, “Meh.” Well let me assure you that the tale within was positively delightful. I laughed, I cried and I giggled. Worth spun a tale that I consumed in a single afternoon and I have the dirty laundry to prove it!

Pastry chef Jane Gray works in the bakery and lives in the apartments about. She is twenty-four years old and mother to five-year-old Pip. When an outbrea
Kathie (katmom)
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep, five stars.

I kept looking to see if this was Kate Worth's third or fourth book. Because this was that good...as if a seasoned writer had put out her next book.

I liked how Jane realized that she had to go to the DUKE himself to get the facts set out...otherwise she could hang. And if she was hung, what would happen to Pip, her daughter?

When she spies the Duke's brother, Finn, he takes her breath away. Dang, he took my breath away, too!

Yes, we have the tropes that make up a romance...but Ms.
Sandy Loyd
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed The Promise by Kate Worth. Her characters were fun and likable (lovable actually) and her details about the time were excellent. I felt like I had stepped back into time and was sorry to come to the end. I'm now wondering if Ms. Worth will write a sequel. There are several characters I'd love to know more about.
Lelyana's Reviews
Can you believe this is the first book Kate's write?
This is awesome ... and I found my self so hard to put it down even in a rush time ... [image error]

It begins with Maura,a 16th years old, so naive, so in love with a man (can we say "bastard"?) whom just , one night, tupped her, and said "you're very good", leave her, and married to another woman? [image error]

Jane Gray found her and take care of her when she knew Maure was increasing,until Pip, her daughter was born, and Jane, a baker at a pa
Nicole Laverdure
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading "THE PROMISE" by Kate Worth. This is my first book of hers. It's a story in a world of love, secrets, lies and scandals in the time period 1855 London. Lots of mystery and suspense. I found this historical romance very captivating!
I love her two main characters Finn and Jane. I love the way, Ms. Worth included a child, named Pip, in her story.
Lord Finn Wallace is a charming man who spends his nights with the most beautiful women but when he meets Jane, he becomes very a
Danielle (Bookwhoreblog) Perez
Review Posted HERE

Jane is a baker raising another woman’s child alone, after the child's mother met an untimely death. Trying to set up a future for the young girl named Pip, Jane decides to pawn a locket left to Pip by her mother. When Jane arrives at the pawn shop however things get a little odd. Jane narrowly escapes capture at the pawn shop but opens the paper the next day to find a picture of herself labeled as a thief. The story takes off from there and a plot filled with mystery and susp
Tina
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was totally captivated by this story. The author weaves a story that enthralls the reader from page one and never lets up until the end. The author transported me from the 21st century to an era where Lords, Ladies, and Dukes rule the day.

I must confess that this book had 2 elements that I tend to shy away from in my readings: a virgin and children (where the story centers on them). In other words, if the story has virgins + children= me not reading. Well as I stated earlier this book had both
Karen
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! it's my first romance and it was well worth stepping out of my usual reading style. This book for me was a mixture of hot, warm and cold. The sex was hot the characters were warm and life like, and the evil cousin Tom was cold as ice. The real affection this family had for each other was one of the things that made me believe these were real people not just characters in a book, they came to life for me. The attention to detail is really what makes this such a good read, the b ...more
Kathy Andrews
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even in fiction rarely do I find a man for whom I am willing to give up my independent lifestyle. Finn is the type of hero whom I would love to swoon in his arms and share a lifetime with. It is an added bonus that he is independently wealthy with a full staff to take care of the cooking and cleaning for him and our time would be our own to do with as we please. The lead female character is also someone whom I would enjoy as a best friend forever - sweet without being weak, smart without being a ...more
Gisele
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Yes! Yes! Yes! I loved it!
The characters are so memorable so lovable. The story is so sweet!
The main thing I always love when I'm reading historical romance is finding a strong female character and Jane Gray definitely is. Another thing is that The Promise is a 346 pages book but you don't feel how much you have devored it until you are almost at the end. You turn and turn pages because the story is so addictive, that you want to find about Jane's past and her relationship with Finn.

And I would
D. Ashell
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a sexy/sweet story with a wonderful fast-paced plot. I couldn't put it down. The heroine Jane is a baker in London. She is raising another woman's child and having trouble making ends meet. She decides to sell a locket that was left to her daughter Pip by her birth mother, and gets into hot water because the locket has been reported stolen years ago by a powerful Duke. To avoid prosecution, she goes to the Duke and explains how she came to have the locket and discovers that Pip is reall ...more
Melanie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book that after you read that last sentence, you had this overwhelming urge to start reading it all over again, just to make sure that it was as good as you thought it was?

Well, that’s how I felt as I finished reading THE PROMISE. I just couldn’t believe that this was a début [DEBUT!] novel. Last time I felt like that was after reading Grace Burrowes’ THE HEIR and time before that was Judith James’ BROKEN WING.

I honestly can’t remember what attracted me to this book or if an
Diane Stegner
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be compelling from beginning to end; the characters were well described and and the story line was truly engaging. I thoroughly enjoyed the book!
Elizabeth Carr
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. Loved every minute of it!!
Shirley Cowles
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading The Promise. The title is perfect for the story. I can't wait for Kate Worth's next book.
Moon Love
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

Full review to come. :)

I promise it'll be up soon!
jeff
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, it's the only romance novel I've ever read... and let me tell you, I was impressed! A real story and characters I could see and understand. For a first novel, I'd say "very well done".
Eli Yanti
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is really great, i'm so happy my friend recommend this book to me and especially Kate's is very kind to send me a copy of this book

can't wait to read other of Kate's book :)

Romance Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK!!! It is skillfully written with lovable characters and an engaging, dynamic plot. The historical details are richly detailed and accurate, yet do not overpower this beautiful love story. I didn’t realize it was the author’s first novel until I finished the book and immediately went to order something else by her. The Promise is an excellent debut and I am eagerly awaiting her next work!

The story is about Jane Grey, a baker who is raising a child as her own aft
Aly is so frigging bored
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
*Won the book from the author and Kimba from Caffeinated Book Reviews

When I first read the blurb I was intrigued(though it doesn't do justice to the book). This debut is wonderful. I love the author's voice and I'll continue to read her work.

Sharon
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great historical fiction debut novel by Worth. It is the story of Jane Gray, a pastry baker, in 19th century England. She has taken in an unwed mother, who dies in childbirth. She raises the girl, Pip, as her own. Finally at the age of five, Jane realizes she must put money aside in a trust for little Pip in case of her demise. (This is a time of Cholera epidemics in England.) While trying to pawn a locket left to Pip by her mother, she is accused of being a thief and runs. News hits ...more
Erin
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because of the amazing reviews that it has received, and I was not disappointed. I am surprised that a recent review seemed almost strangely angry about it. A lot of time to spend on something you didn't like. I would hate that the rant would prevent anyone for taking a chance on this wonderful love story. The character development was fabulous and I can't wait to read future books about these people and their lives, and how they intertwine. I highly recommend reading The Promis ...more
Kyra Dunst
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lady Jane is an admirable woman, both in her resolve and her kind heart. Finn is a rogue, reformed by his attraction to Jane. This is a love story where lies, rumors and murder will try to keep them apart.
Heather
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great quick read, leaving you wanting to know what is going to happen next the whole way through. A romance laced with history and thrilling twists!
Patti Brennan
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written book. The imagery carries you through a great era in time. Love the characters. Great ending. Looking forward to Kate's next book!
Cindy
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book, can't wait for the sequel!
Savannah
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is truly one of my favorite book I have ever read. Since reading it, I have tried to find more books like it but none are as good as this. I have re-read it at least 6 times and It never gets old. I would give it 10 stars if I could.
Beyond the Squee
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Official Summary:

Charming and handsome, the duke's brother Finn spends his leisure time between the sheets of London's most beautiful, wanton women. The seasoned rake is perplexed by his attraction to demure, virtuous Jane... definitely not his usua
✿❤~m49913~❤✿
Review copy provided by the author. Thank you.

Still waiting if this book can be sold at www.bookdepository.com

Want to read this after reading review from my friend. The plot and theme make me wanna own this book. Combine of all my favorite. (look at my bookshelves/tags)

Now taking times to read it slowly at my laptop, no need to rush, coz this story worth to read every word.

« previous 1 3 4 next »
Romance Novel Boo...: SOLVED: 19th heroine works in bakery / adopts a child 3 31 Oct 18, 2015 04:12AM
  • Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid (Kellington, #1)
  • The Marriage List
  • Curricle & Chaise
  • Pride and Platypus: Mr. Darcy's Dreadful Secret
  • A Thistle in the Mist
  • My Dear Sophy
  • Heaven Made
  • Grandmaster's Legacy (Erotic Historical Suspense, Box Set)
  • Seducing the Knight (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #2)
  • Sea Fires (Blackstone Trilogy, #1)
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals, #1)
  • Another Dawn
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint of Seven Dials, #1)
  • The Centurion and the Queen
  • Fated
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Ferris' Bluff
  • Winter's Heat (The Graistan Chronicles, #1)
Kate lived a nomadic childhood, moving every year or two as her father was assigned to a new post throughout his career with the State Department. She and her family were evacuated during the revolution in Iran, watched tanks roll through the streets of Quito, Ecuador from their attic windows during a coup d'etat, survived an Oktoberfest bombing in Munich and a massive earthquake in Chile that wal ...more
More about Kate Worth

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be