Start by marking “The Debt” as Want to Read:
The Debt

The Debt

A BMW Audiobook.

“The Debt” is a gripping tale about a good-hearted former boxer who is caught untangling the troublesome webs of others. In this podcast, author Simon Kernick offers his personal techniques for short story writing, including plot pacing and making every word count.

Time 00.36.28
Audiobook, 7 pages
Published March 23rd 2006 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Debt

Sean Peters
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay, it is not often I finish a book in one evening !

Finished Eyeshot by Taylor Adams lunch time, started The Debt early evening, finished late evening.

Thank you to Simon Kernick for making this available free for download, a very short light easy read.

Simon was asked by BMW to write a short story to promote a new car, which came out in 2012, with short story was to help promote the car, and went in the BMW Magazine.

Just a short easy read in the same vain as Simon Kernick early books.

Maybe an h
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
I've not read anything by this author before but I will definitely pick up more of Kernick's books to read!
Bücherhäschen
This is a cute little Story about a BMW.

Honestly it was written for BMW and that's quite obvious. It was about a former boxer (?) whose cousin has a debt with some bad guys. So he wants to settle this, because they threatten his aunt. He ends up loosing his beloved car, but fear not, friends! He meets the same criminal only a few hours later, and sees his chance to get his baby back!

It was nice to read, sometimes funny, but nothing special.
Michelle Douglas
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who have never read any of Simon Kernick's work this short story is an ideal introduction to his skills as a writer. As it is a short story you don't get too much history or in depth characterisation of the lead players but there is enough to leave you wanting to know more of them and their future
Vicii
What can I say, a nice quick read that is in the style that you expect from Simon Kernick.
Michael burton
Please keep to novels

Not usual high standard story

Keep to novel s where the story can be developed and hold the readers attention.
Anita Hargreaves
Short

A great short story, read in less than 30 minutes so ideal for reading travelling to work. This would be great if extended.
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous narrator. Would have worked better as a longer story, though. Not quite enough character development, even for a short story.
Sarah Baines
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant short story and well worth a read especially for anyone who has never read Simon Kernick before.
Lana
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read but brilliant

Got this book on the recommendation of a friend I'm so glad I did gripping from start to finish, very quick little read but absolutely brilliant.
Tom
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent short story. Won't take long to read it so have something else available.
Barry Burn
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good yarn

This first appeared as a commission piece for BMW along with other stories. A simple tale and quick to read. Fast-paced and action packed. Worth a read.
Samantha
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This was not the first Simon Kernick book I read, recently I read his Wrong Time Wrong Place also a short story. Normally Simon Kernick's stories are thrilling and hold the suspense until the final page, this is what I was expecting from this short story.

The story is only 32 pages long, and I know that hardly gives him chance to introduce the characters but I didn't feel this was up to the same quality Wrong Time, Wrong Place a short story that I enjoyed. This could be because this was original
westernway
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, freebie
Never read anything by this author before. Just picked it because it was a freebie from Amazon that I picked up a while ago, and as is usual at this tie of year I was trying to get to my reading target for the year so was deliberately choosing short books to read. That said though I did find it to be an enjoyable read and he did rack up the tension in this story very well in only a very few pages. I really enjoyed this story and might be tempted to pick up something by this author again in the f ...more
Toni Osborne
There is no doubt Simon Kernick is one of my favourite authors so when he offered a free download of this short story I jumped at the occasion. I admit I am not normally a fan of short stories I usually find them frustrating, just as I become totally absorbed into the drama it ends abruptly and leaves me with that empty feeling and wanting more. I realize this is just a teaser to attract readers to his other well developed, suspenseful and exciting novels.
Neil
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite this being a short work, originally intended for publication in a magazine, I really enjoyed it. The plot was believable and the characters also came across as lifelike. Only two downsides for me, the ending was a bit predictable and I would have preferred this to have been a full length book. The good news is that there are other works by this author available so I shall have to try and dig some out
Hazel
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Simon is one of my all-time favorite authors so when I heard there was a free download available of one of his books, I jumped at the chance. Now, I have to admit that I've had this on my Kindle since 2013 only to be rediscovered when I was looking for something quick to read in between "longer" books.

Reading Stuff 'n' Things
Kitty O'Day
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short story. Obviously written as a promo piece for BMW, but you can forgive that. A bit of an over-egged story line but nothing offensive.
The style of writing is easy to follow but gripping enough to want to follow the story to the end. The version I read also included the first chapter of another of his books, which I began to get into so I may just start reading that to.
A good put up and put down book.
Amanda
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Classed as a book in some places and a short story in others, you decide for yourself. Kernick wrote this as part of a promotion for BMW.

I began to enjoy this story and then it stopped and I was left to wonder why I'd even picked it up in the first place, confirming why I don't really like short stories. It did not seem to go anywhere or do much. I could have done with explaining the characters and more of a story.
Bookworm
This book was ok but it didn't excite me too much. I suspect it would have worked well as part of a short story collection but as a stand alone, a little bit disappointing but it was free so I can't complain. I did like the preview read of Ultimatum - now that does look like a good book and its already on my wishlist!
Ritchie
Having previously read and enjoyed one of Simon Kernick's books i quite happily downloaded this as a kindly freebie.

Written for the BMW website and focusing on the 7 series but it's not over the top advertising, it's a short crime story and would probably work better as part of a collection but can't argue with free and enjoyable.
Fiona Watkins
Good short story. The introduction from Kernick set the scene and without it I would have felt a bit cheated due to the large amount of time and advertising for BMW. The scene setting from the introduction explained all of this though. There was enough plot to make the story flow well and although the characters weren't very three dimensional that is due to the shortness of the story.
Kay Robinson
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What to do when the local Mr Big wants you to pay your cousin's debt? What do you do when he takes your beloved motor as deposit? You think fast and you act fast, and Billy does just that. This short tale starts grim, gets grimmer, but ends well. The journey it takes the reader on is a roller-coaster that you know you can't get off until the ride is over. Great little tale.
Christine
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Debt is a short crime story about a debt and a BMW that was originally written for the BMW website and has also been in their magazine. This is the first work of Simon Kernick that I have read and I am glad that I came upon it as it was a good read.
Christine bonner
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is a book about a man that loves her car, but he cousin has got into debt with a loan shark that is evil and will hurt you if you do not pay him back the money

his car is taken but this man and he goes to get it back
there is a nice twist at the end which you will all like
Carl Darley
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
actually read this a while back but j couldn't find it on here.
A nice quick read, exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from Simon Kernick. if you're thinking about reading some of Simon's stuff then The Debt is the ideal place to start as it takes about half an hour to read and it's free.
Lisa Wightman
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of short stories as if I don't invest my time in something I don't really care about the outcome. This passed 10 minutes of my time, I'm neither worse nor better off for having read it...
Steve
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: action
Good for a freebie typical Kernick.
Frans Karlsson
A short story about a BMW. Nice short entertainment read it during my daughters football practice.
Ashleigh  Nottingham
Good read

Enjoyed this short story.. Simon kernick is my favourite author.
Not one of his best, but enjoyed it all the same ☺

• Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Hellzapoppin' (Clovenhoof #4)
  • The Mamacita Murders
  • Burial
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
  • The Heist
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Short Fuses (Four free short stories)
  • Maxwell's Smile
  • Sledge
  • The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson (Barney Thomson, #1)
  • Lock & Load (Ryan Lock, #4.5)
  • Seagalogy: a Study of the Ass-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more