Start by marking “Cold Cold Heart” as Want to Read:
Cold Cold Heart

Cold Cold Heart

A BMW Audiobook.

In the short story Cold Cold Heart audio book, Pam did her role as a loyal, honest wife for twenty years. She and John enjoyed their friends, careers, and a special son. Just like the vows state, for richer for poorer, for better for worse, they lived their lives. All the way up to the day tragedy struck their family. John betrayed his wife in the most publ
Audiobook, 1 page
Published March 23rd 2006 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Cold Cold Heart, please sign up.
Nancy The ebook is available via my library.....Cuyahoga County Public Library (Ohio).

Zoeytron
A word to the wise - if you feel like you want to smirk at someone, it might be best to stifle it.  It could really set a person off.  You could end up losing something you hold near and dear.
Chelsea Humphrey
Clever little short story from the master of crime fiction!
Selene

The reader meets fifty-two year-old Pam as she’s en route to California. She thinks about her deceased ex-husband and how they were married for twenty-nine years, before he became a successful author and millionaire. Pam can’t help but think about how John was was financially controlling, unfaithful, and argumentative. How negatively he painted her in one of his bestselling books while negating to paint himself with the same broad stroke. Some of her thoughts?

Somewhere in the back of he
Cold Cold Heart is a fairly dark short-story written by the amazing Karin Slaughter. Ms. Slaughter included a surprising amount of story/character building for the brief 30 page ebook/50 minute audiobook. This piece is perfect for any disgruntled women who want to live vicariously through a vengeful first wife. Enjoy!
description
Mo
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bit disappointed with this one. Didn't really like either character. He was a wanker. She was a bit of a pushover ... should have stood her ground and showed him what he was missing. Very short read. I probably expect more from KS.

Hopefully, my KS fan friends will read it and find more to it than I did. I think it was originally published as part of a Crime anthology.... if they are originally published in that format, why, oh, why, go and release them as Stand-alones?
Carol
HA! What an absolutely perfect end for a dirt-bag of a man!

"Revenge is a desert best served COLD!" Hehehe......

COLD, COLD, COLD HEARTED super short story!

Stacey
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pam has a cold, cold heart indeed. In a few pages the slow unraveling of Pam and Jon's marriage is detailed. The death of a son and a controlling husband that has degraded Pam for years has left Pam bitter over Jon's financial success. She doesn't want any part of it, but as he is on his death bed he asks her to visit him one last time. She has reservations, but decides to go. He gives her a journal to read that makes one last hurtful stab at her. After he passes away and she is on her way out o ...more
Marnie  Krüger
This is the second short story of Slaughter that have disappoint me.

braid

The writing was brilliant as always, it's the content of the stories that I don't like. As with Thorn in My Side the subject of this story is just plain weird, okay maybe Thorn in My Side was a lot more weird, but still.
Cold Cold Heart gave me that WTF feeling. I'm still not sure if I liked either of the characters.

heart
Julie
Cold, Cold Heart by Karin Slaughter is a 2016 Witness Impulse publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, this is one wicked little tale for such a short story. If you have ever been treated poorly by an ex-husband, got the short end of the stick in the divorce, and lived with the humiliations he bestowed on you, then you will love this story.

This story only has forty pages, but it is a real chiller and a diabolic tale of
Judy Collins
COLD COLD HEART, is yet another deliciously evil, witty, and satisfying short story by Karin Slaughter, as fans anxiously await her upcoming THE KEPT WOMAN (5 Stars). Both are Must Reads! If you haven’t already read 2015 Pretty Girls , please do so. No one quite like the "queen" of crime thrillers.

John had been dead for almost two years. They had been married for many years and had met at a young adult Sunday school class some twenty-four years earlier. They dated, became lovers, married, t
Sherry Fundin
YAY! I was so happy to get my hands on Cold, Cold Heart, A Short Story, by Karin Slaughter. I love her novels and I am curious to see if she can draw me in and leave me wanting more with this short story.

They couldn’t get past the tragedy, so after twenty years of marriage, she was on her own.

I wonder, is she out for revenge?

I love that she is her own person, doing the things she had denied herself to stay in shape. Don’t we all do that, wanting to look different, wanting our older bodies to loo
Erin
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ex-wife bent on revenge comes face to face with the dying husband that caused her so much misery. A short story that delights in pure evil!
Diane S ☔
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Extremely short but very good. My goodness but I hated her ex husband and thought the ending fit the crime.
Wendy
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jul-13
I can easily see why Karin Slaughter is one of my favorite authors.
Cold Cold Heart is a 24 page short story that grabbed me from the first page and I couldn't stop until I was finished.
This is the story of Pam and John and how their relationship of many years fell apart. Slaughter chronicles the circumstances leading to the demise and then takes us, many years later, to a surprise ending which results in revenge being oh so sweet.
As in her many novels, once again Karin Slaughter is clever, witt
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I had my review all planned out until the last few paragraphs. Then the whole thing went right out the window! (view spoiler)
Lori
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story is a tale of revenge. John and Pam were former husband and wife. He calls her to his death bed. Although Pam was the more highly educated, John was the more successful of the two. When married, he tried to control her life and was unfaithful to their relationship. Their troubled son Zachary died in an automobile accident. I'll let you read how this short story plays out. While I didn't love this very dark story, I didn't hate it.
Amanda McGill
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I didn't really see the point of the novel. It wasn't mysterious, there was no murder. Just a ex wife having her revenge on the husband that humiliated her.
Gmaharriet
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this was wonderful. Revenge is a dish best served cold, right? Ice cold. What a delightful ending!
Freda Mans-Labianca
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!
Twisted too, but in a good way. Oh my goodness, this is an intense 69 pages lemme tell ya!
I did not think it would play out the way it did either, which is also a good thing. I'm pleasantly surprised!
I love this author's writing. She puts you there, in that intense moment, and sometimes has you scared. She sure does paint a vivid picture, but in thrillers, it's what I look for. If you haven't read anything by Karin Slaughter, this little ditty might be the perfect place to start. You
Elvan
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Entertaining novella. Sometimes you just have to read fiction to appreciate the person you are with. No matter their faults, there are far worse folks out there you could have married. A quick eye roller.
Belles
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018
Not only can Slaughter write exceptional novels, she's clearly also a master of short stories. It's incredible how much plot and character development she packed into something so short.
Iris
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Soy fan incondicional de Karin Slaugher, pero estos relatos cortos suyos son tan, tan... raros. En cierto modo es hasta gracioso en ciertas partes.
Gary
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Listened to this from Hoopla. I found it refreshingly trashy! I've seen Slaughter's name everywhere and decided to jump right in for an easily digestible short story.

It did not disappoint! You have the asshole husband and the jaded ex-wife getting her final revenge, full of the dirty laundry and expletives you'd expect in a story. Like a modern pulp. The narrator also had a perfect deadpan tone that complimented the story perfectly. I think Slaughter may be my guilty pleasure for a while.
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you like Karin Slaughter, give it a try.
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: netgalley and the publisher
Cold Cold Heart is a 24 page short story was a bit different than what I am used to from Karin Slaughter. It is the story of Pam and John, a couple whose marriage has ended. In the ensuing years, their lives go in very different directions.

There were several things that set this story apart from the other books that I have read by Slaughter. First of all, both the Will Trent and Grant County series would be classed as mystery/thrillers, and as such there is a lot of both action and suspense. Co
Chris
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This was a great little short story. I wasn’t sure what I was getting into when I started this, but I am a big fan of Karin Slaughter’s and I had to read it. Like most of her short stories there is a little bit of humor, sadness, and anger. I found that I couldn’t stop reading this once I started. Partially because, I kept thinking where is this going?

Learning more and more about her life as the story progresses, I felt for the character. She had lost so much, and had to deal with an Ex-husband
Cathy Cole
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in a very strange position here. I've read a few of Slaughter's novels, and I think they tend to have "too much middle." These short stories don't have that problem, so I tend to enjoy them so much more. Slaughter did a masterful job at putting me in the shoes of a very unhappy ex-wife. As I read, I found out exactly why she was so unhappy. All I can say is that there's more than one interpretation of her ex-husband's bestseller, Biological Healing. (Too bad you can't see the smile on my fac ...more
Emily
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pam had it all, a beautiful son, loving husband until it was gone. The picket fence life she led turned out to be a lie, her husband's cruelty after leaving only enhanced her anger. When he calls needing her help, the reversal of fortunes are in her hand and revenge is going to be so sweet.

Full review on Single Titles
Christa
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-arc
This book about Pam and John, whose marriage ended, is much different from anything else I've read by Slaughter. It was a super short novella, yet still managed to pack in lots of wickedness. I didn't care much for the characters, but was entertained by this tale of revenge.
☠tsukino☠
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Un concentrato di perfidia, crudeltà, amarezza e rancore in un racconto grottesco.
Ma la vendetta è un piatto che va servito freddo :P
In poche pagine tutta la bravura e la genialità della Slaughter.
Manuela
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, thriller
Questo racconto, nel suo essere surreale e involontariamente "comico", sembra più uno scherzo tra le mani di Karin Slaughter. Per fortuna scrive gialli e questi esperimenti se li concede solo per poche pagine.

• Glass House 51
  • Darkness at the Edge of Town (Iris Ballard #2)
  • City on Edge (Eve Rossi, #2)
  • The Kill Box (Jamie Sinclair, #3)
  • Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)
  • The Painted Gun
  • The Night Visitor
  • A Penny for the Hangman
  • Trouble in Mind: The Collected Stories, Volume 3
  • Darkness Rising
  • The Second Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #2)
  • If Snow Hadn't Fallen (Lacey Flint, #1.5)
  • Burn Out (Rachel Scott, #2)
  • Previously Loved Treasures (Serendipity, #2)
  • The Ripper Gene
  • The Dream You Make
  • Little Island
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Slaughter is the founder of t ...more