Start by marking “Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?” as Want to Read:
Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?

Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?

Over 15 years have elapsed since JonBenét's body was found in the basement of her Boulder, Colorado home. Diametrically opposing theories of her kidnap and murder were publicly espoused by Boulder Detective Steve Thomas and retired Colorado Springs investigator Lou Smit in 2000 after a grand jury failed to announce an indictment, or release an official report regarding ...more
Published June 14th 2012 by Ventus Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?

Start your review of Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?
Sean/Maria Hanley
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rachel the Book Harlot
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"In the faces of our children we are granted the opportunity to glimpse the future and the untimely death of one irrevocably changes us all. As criminal investigators, it is our chosen duty to go willingly into the breach in defense of the weak and the powerless: to stand tall in the face of adversity, and to seek the truth no matter where the course may lead. Justice deserves no lesser effort." - A. James Kolar

description
John and Patsy Ramsey at a press conference in May 1997 offering a $100,000 reward
Susan
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I find that often, I'm influenced by the latest book I read. I'll read a book by someone who thinks an intruder killed JonBenet. Everything will pretty much make sense, so I'll feel that that's what happened. Then I'll read another book by someone who feels JonBenet's parents were responsible. Hmmmm ... well, that seems to make sense too.

But what if JonBenet wasn't killed by intruder, or by her parents? Hmmmm ... that's the theory James Kolar lays out, and I've gotta say, I think it makes the
Michael Johnson
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. Drop the intruder theory and you'll see all signs point to an accidental murder and a cover-up by the Ramsey's. it seems Burke flew under the radar and the DA were timid in the face of high priced attorneys.
Tracey Jones
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Out of all the books on the case that Ive read, If your a believer in the intruder theory, read this, and you won't be anymore.
Angela
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW: AMAZING! Clearly disproves the "intruder" theory and writes about evidence/facts uncovered since Thomas's book was released. I have no doubt in my mind that someone in the family (either Patsy or Burke) accidentally killed JonBenet and the parents staged a coverup. NO DOUBT. Thank you to A. James Kolar for writing this book about his work and making the facts known. Seems like Boulder County had one idiot after another as a DA who backed down to the Ramsey Defense Team.

Only reason I
Lori
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own
This is hands down the best book on the murder of JonBenet Ramsey. Det. Steve Thomas's book is also a must-read for anyone interested in the case. A. James Kolar brings the advantage of more recent important information and the ability to speak more freely than Det. Thomas could.

It is filled with concise reviews of well-known facts and new, well-documented information. It is written with intelligence and specificity by an insider -- a former police chief who was asked to examine all of the
Sally
Aug 14, 2012 added it
A must read if you you want the real facts and evidence in this case. If you really believe an intruder murdered JonBenet, you definitely need to read this. The attorney general who cleared the Ramseys is not telling you about all of the DNA evidence. The author lays out all the evidence and you can decide for yourself what really happened. Too bad the book not available on kindle, I splurged and bought the hard back but it was well worth the money to me.
Rebecca
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Friends and family can attest to my addiction to this book. It was my first true crime and riveting to the very end. If you love a mystery full of surprises and have always had a fascination with the JonBenet case, this one is for you. For the longest time, I questioned the involvement of the family, and with the latest news of the indictment, I thought I would read up on the case. It is amazing how at every turn, the police were blocked. Every time some revelation came to light that discounted ...more
Amy Ammons
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very informative view from the police side of the investigation...too bad this case will never be brought to justice.
Liza
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book explained every single evidence found in the house and it all comes down to one suspect - Burke. The older brother of JonBenet. This little boy had serious problems from the beginning and I could see why his parents would want to cover for him. This kid needed help but unfortunately , he committed the ultimate crime and obliged his parents to cover all his tracks.
It makes more sense now why they hired a sea of attorneys and refused to have Burke interviewed by the police. The parents
Patty Abrams
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Mr. Kolar begins his book with the version of the murder which was given by the Ramseys and endorsed by a lot of the prosecutors and police, where a foreign faction of several people entered the home and did the kidnapping-turned-murder. Mr. Kolar then goes through the evidence, showing pros and cons of each as it applies to the intruder theory. He ends with his own theory which says there was no intruder, only the family was involved. He leaves it that it was probably 9 yr old Burke. Gets you ...more
Telford Delmoe
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
SSAAAADDD!!! This sweet little girl was killed by her brother and the parents, in fear of losing him also, and feeling a need to protect their only remaining child, a mentally disturbed boy, covered it up. Poor Jonbenet, a beautiful, but exploited child, never received Justice.
Jackie
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A thought provoking book on who killed Jon Benet.
Liz Terek
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember the first time I became acquainted with this case. Geraldo Rivera, who had his own talk show at that time, devoted an entire show to the coverage. At that time, a number of things struck me as odd involving the entire scenario. But, I didn't have an extensive amount of knowledge regarding the case. I just knew something was just not right.
As time went on and most of us were at the mercy of media coverage, perhaps, like me, you only heard little bits about the case here & there.
Sue
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have long been intrigued by the murder of Jonbet Ramsey, and recently found this book which I hadn't read about the murder. Jonbenet was found in the basement of her home, several hours after she was found missing and a ransom note left for her father. Having read almost all the books about Jonbenet's murder I found this one. I almost gve up on it immediately because the opening chapter set out the most bizarre account of a kidnapping, but luckily realised the author was setting out this ...more
eden
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
If you liked this book or are interested in reading it, this thread on Reddit is a must-read. A. James Kolar answers a bunch of submitted questions, and his answers are thoughtful and illuminating. I'm adding a star because of how impressed I am with him.

I admit I was very annoyed by how coy the author became at the end when discussing his real theory as to what happened. I completely understand his (no doubt legal) reasons for the ambiguity, but I'm still annoyed, heh.

After reading this, I
Laura Bender
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very little doubt that this guy is right

when he explains what he believed transpired that night. He shares plenty of new info, and I felt like the book delivered when it came to solving the crime. It also left me absolutely enraged at the conduct of people trusted to pursue justice. Statute of limitations (and other legal restrictions) will prevent the killer and accomplices from ever being prosecuted, but hopefully the same can't be said for certain members of Boulder's judicial system, should
Valerie
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally I have peace about this case!

Finally an end to all the feelings of unrest about this case. This is the first 100% satisfying thing I've read about JonBenet's murder. It makes perfect sense, and I know the case is solved. Now I have peace.

It's alarming how easily the Ramsey's destroyed the lives of so many innocent people, falsely accusing friends and acquaintances, watching innocents fall under suspicion and suffer, in order to protect their image.
Vanessa
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
While it has been some time since I have read any of the other books about JonBenet, this has been my go-to reference on the case since I've read it. All the facts are clearly laid out. I haven't had any problem going back to find something. Kolar makes a good case for his argument, and the book is really only held back by needing a thorough editing for spelling, punctuation, and other typos.
Randall Davis
UNREAL! Apparently $ can buy anything!

Well presented work from an expert on the case who had access to evidence & knowledge that others did not. Most authoritative work on this case to date.
Kathy White
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
the beginning started out good but by the middle it was a lot of repeating and way before the end you know who he thinks did the murder.. wait for it to come out on kindle for free.. not worth buying.
Michael Hatmaker
a sensible conclusion

Like many other "unsolved mysteries," this one is actually solved -- and quite comprehensively. Ultimately, the mystery is how persons with money are able to continue to skirt the justice system.

This is THE book about the JonBenet Ramsey murder.
Amaya
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I no longer have any doubts about what happened. The author spells it out for you quite clearly.
Dennis Littrell
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mostly very convincing but...

(Spoiler alert)

Like the excellent book written by Sgt. Steve Thomas (“JonBenét: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation” 2000) one-time lead investigator A. James Kolar demolishes the “intruder theory.” I mean really demolishes it with evidence and information not contained in Thomas’s eminently persuasive book. Consequently I am even more convinced than ever that the Ramsey family members, John, Patsy and son Burke—one or all—were involved in the tragedy.

However I no
Lizbit
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
My review here in light of my rating is really important. I rate on how good of a read it was rather than anything else, and 'good' is really subjective when you are reading anything about true crime. I'm a parent of three year old twins and this was probably not a really wise choice for my late night reading. But for a week or two I was out of books and ... funny I wanted to say 'thumbing through', and you usually think of paper, but I was going to say the kindle library...and I guess I ...more
Ovie
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short and Sweet: Foreign Faction utilizes a four-part structure to illustrate a thorough and factually driven picture of JonBenet’s murder, the aftermath, and the debate that continues until this day. An absolute must-read for anyone seeking more information on this case.

Foreign Faction opens with a telling of what, based on interpreted evidence and John Ramsey’s on-record statements, an intruder scenario would look like. It turned me off at first, and I must admit it was due to my own biases;
Savannah B
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Colleen
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
If you only have time to read one book about the JonBenet Ramsey case then I suggest this one. A. James Kolar was the lead investigator for the Boulder District Attorney’s office between 2005 and 2006. He painstakingly goes over all the evidence from the case to prove how preposterous the intruder thoery is. After you have heard all the evidence, Kolar gives his opinion of what really happened, and he does so in a tactful manner. His theory makes the most sense.

(view spoiler)
Kim
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I am so disappointed with this book. James Kolar shares some extremely interesting information that could lead to JonBenet Ramsey's murderer being revealed, but it is buried so deep into the book that I think I would have missed it if I hadn't been looking for it. (I knew what I was looking for from posts on websleuths.com.) I understand that he can't really come right out and say what he is saying, but at least don't hide it near the end of chapters and chapters and chapters of unaccountably ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • Who Killed Jonbenet Ramsey?
  • Listen Carefully: Truth and Evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey Case
  • Madeleine: Our daughter's disappearance and the continuing search for her
  • Small Sacrifices
  • The Cases That Haunt Us
  • Everything you didn't know about the Casey Anthony Trial
  • Dark Secret: The Complete Story: The True Account of What Happened to Little Alex Suleski
  • Proper Gauge (Wool, #2)
  • Casting Off (Wool, #3)
  • The Unraveling (Wool, #4)
  • The Hot One: A Memoir of Friendship, Sex, and Murder
  • The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew Shepard
  • My Stolen Son: The Nick Markowitz Story
  • My Daddy is a Hero: How Chris Watts Went from Family Man to Family Killer
  • Letters from Christopher: The Tragic Confessions of the Watts Family Murders
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
“When asked key questions about sexual contact, his body language exhibited signs of anxiety, and at one point, he picked up a board game they were playing and was rubbing it on his head. The display of this body language contrasted to the behavior exhibited as a baseline throughout other parts of the interview.” 1 likes
“Anthony told investigators that he never saw Burke cry during their stay in Atlanta. Kaempfer advised that the only time she had seen him display some emotion and sadness was at the cemetery after the graveside services. He had left a group of people and went to the side of JonBenét’s casket, patting it gently. After that brief display of caring, Burke and Anthony went exploring, skipping through the headstones in the cemetery.” 0 likes