Start by marking “How Martha Saved Her Parents From Green Beans” as Want to Read:
How Martha Saved Her Parents From Green Beans

How Martha Saved Her Parents From Green Beans

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  437 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
THEY'RE MEAN.
THEY'RE GREEN.
THEY'RE THE BADDEST BEANS AROUND.

"Green beans are good for you. Green beans will make you big and strong." Martha doesn't believe what her parents tell her. And nothing will ever--EVER--make her eat them.

But when some beady-eyed, boot stomping beans bust into town and start causing trouble, Martha knows she has to take action against this gang of
Published April 18th 2013 by Dial Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about How Martha Saved Her Parents From Green Beans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Martha Saved Her Parents From Green Beans

Margaret Cross-Beliveau
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old loved this book and she hates veggies. What better recommendation can you get?
Kirsti Call
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a FANTASTIC picture book. This is so much fun and so creative!
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
This is a creative little story with some great illustrations
KidLit Motivates
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the saga of Martha, her kidnapped parents, and the meanest green beans around. Martha hates eating green beans, a weekly family tradition. She is happy when she finds out the personified veggie villains have taken her parents, but she soon realizes life without her Mom and Dad will be lonely and sad. Martha and the beans have a cartoon stand-off and Martha saves the day by first swallowing her disgust, and then by swallowing green beans.

Upsides: The book is intentionally reminiscent of a
Carrie
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read-aloud with a clever spin on why you should eat your vegetables.
Jessa McCauley
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Hilarious ending
Kim
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adroable! For every kid (and adult) who hates green beans!
Toni
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this to my Summer Reading Children & to my nieces. Very cute little story!
Julie Kirchner
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Huge hit with students! A silly story about a girl who hates green beans and her opportunity to get revenge on them when they kidnap her green bean loving parents.
Kenson and kirra
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i hate green beans. i knew they were evil. i'm not sure i could eat them even to save my parents. yuck!! (age 5)
Meredith Kaupp
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really fun story, and my preschoolers loved it.
The Book Box
Oct 09, 2016 added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me tonight. It was a really silly book, and reminded me of Dan Yaccarino's The Lima Bean Monster - I love evil veggie books!
Pop Bop
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
It's Not Easy Being Green

I usually don't buy books like this online on spec. I read an ARC or look at the book at the library or check it out and buy it at a bookstore. Kid picture books are just too pricey for taking flyers. But I couldn't resist this one, and I'm glad I didn't.

The whole Martha-hates-green-beans thing suggested we might be heading into precious territory. The whole kids-hate-vegetables cliche has never appealed to me as a surefire laugher. We're giving this to a grandchild who
Ellen
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Title: How Martha Saved Her Parents from Green Beans
Author/Illustrator: David LaRochelle & Mark Fearing
Genre: Fantasy, Picture Storybook
Themes: Picky eaters
Plot Summary: Martha, a young girl, and her mom and dad eat green beans with their dinner on Tuesdays. Martha hates green beans. One Tuesday, with Martha unaware of how mean green beans could be, a gang of green beans barged into her house, tied up her parents, and took them away! At first, Martha was enjoying her parents not being home f
Tami
In Martha's family Tuesday nights mean green beans for dinner. Martha hates green beans and refuses to eat them. Every Tuesday her parents give her reasons why green beans are good and they she should, therefore, eat them.

"They are both wrong," thought Martha.

"Green beans are bad. Very bad."

Martha is proven right when a band of very bad green beans--complete with tattoos, villainous handlebar moustaches and wearing cowboy boots invade the town. They are on a mission of revenge: to capture anyone
Sue Edwards
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
With a title like this, I really wasn’t sure what to expect from this book but the cover told me that it was going to be a bit wacky.

Like many of us, Martha’s parents plan dinner on something of a schedule. Every single Tuesday, Martha’s family had green beans. For my son, this would have been a good thing but not for Martha. Martha’s parents assured her that green beans are good for her. They explained that they would make her strong.

Martha wasn’t buying it. Martha knew deep down that green bea
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Martha doesn’t want to eat her green beans at dinner. Her parents keep telling her how wonderful they are, but she really doesn’t want anything to do with them. One night as she is sitting and staring at the cold green beans on her plate (she is supposed to keep sitting there until she eats them even though her parents finished dinner ages ago), she hears a noise. When she goes to the other room she sees a note that the green beans have taken her parents. At first Martha is excited that she can ...more
Becky
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book was reviewed on My Sister's Bookkeeper: http://mysistersbookkeeper.blogspot.c...

I loved the unique story line in this book with the green beans being the bad guys. I think we all have kids who think that one particular food is horrible and would love to have a reprieve from eating it. I really enjoyed how the green beans were portrayed as being the enemy and being the bad guys. The pictures of them throughout the book are hilarious and just what we would imagine them to be as the bad g
Mary
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this more than I had expected to. Martha is left alone at the dinner table with a plateful of green beans. Martha refuses to eat them because "...[g]reen beans are bad. Very bad." Soon Martha discovers just how bad they are when a gang of mean green beans kidnap her parents. At first Martha is thrilled to be on her own, but quickly realizes that she misses her parents. After Martha saves her parents, it's decided that they'll forgo green beans for corn on the cob, broccoli, and a nice le ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again the title of this book hooked me! I for one have always liked vegetables, but there is something about the idea of desperado green beans facing down a little girl who can’t stand the sight of vegetables that is very funny to me. Mark Fearing’s illustrations go with David LaRochelle’s story very well. I love the image of the green bean bad guys! I think it is a great story that may be able to get a picky eater to fight off some evil vegetables by eating them. It is also a cute story wi ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Martha swears that green beans are horrible, vile things, but her parents don't believe her. Not until the night the green beans attack everyone who's ever made someone eat them, carrying off Martha's parents in the process. Now it's up to Martha to save her mom and dad, but it might require a bit of a sacrifice from the bean-averse girl.

This hilarious story is a lot of fun to read aloud, and many children will sympathize with Martha's dislike of green beans -- although some parents may not appr
Jon
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had the dreaded food item which you did not wish to eat? For my wife it was liver. When I shared this book with her yesterday she smiled ear-to-ear and said, "Boy, can I relate to this one!" While her meal of liver never kidnapped her parents I'm sure she pondered many ways of disposing of the liver itself.

This book would be a great read aloud for children and adults. I think it could also serve as a wonderful mentor text from which students could write their own tales of foods whi
Kristen
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kelsey
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, k-2nd, food
Age: K -2nd grade

Well, you don't run across this storyline very often in picture books. I loved how LaRochelle turned a hatred of food into a quest to save her parents from that very food. She was right all along! The ending was also unique in that Martha did not suddenly begin to enjoy eating green beans and therefore learned her lesson. Oh no. Her family steered clear of those pesky green beans and instead ate other inanimate, not intimidating vegetables.
Rachael
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Honestly, my expectations weren't that high for this book. I was very pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed this story a lot! It grabbed my attention and kept it throughout the story, which is more than I can say for another picture book I read about picky eaters *coughAFewBitescough*. How many stories do you have about your parents not letting you leave the table until you eat that something on your plate that you thought you absolutely detested? This story is sure to be a hit with families.
paula
When Martha's parents are kidnapped by a mean gang of green beans, she springs to their rescue. Not right away of course. First she watches a bunch of TV and eats all the cookies. But eventually she confronts the bean leader. "'Let my parents go or I will eat you!'" She says. "The leader of the beans stepped forward and spat on the ground. 'You will not eat us,' he said with an evil sneer. 'You have never eaten a green bean in your life.'"
Nancy Kotkin
I happen to love green beans, and vegetables in general, but I've always been a picky eater in other ways so I can totally relate to Martha, and I suspect many kids can as well. Very funny story. Perfect ending. Illustrations are absolutely hysterical and enhance the text so symbiotically that it's hard to believe the author and illustrator are not the same person. And thank you for making the protagonist a girl.
Dana
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Martha does not like green beans, no matter how good they are for her. So she refuses to eat them. Then one night, beady-eyed, boot-and-cowboy-hat-wearing green beans come into town and kidnap her parents. What's a girl to do? A rather ridiculous, but quite amusing, look at a picky eater and some shady green beans.
Alicia Evans
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Martha hates eating green beans, but sometimes you've got no choice! This book is witty and very tongue in cheek about the whole concept of eating ones vegetables. Kids will definitely find this silly and enjoyable.

For: friends and enemies of green beans; discussions about food and healthy eating.

Possible red flags: disobeying parents; murdering sentient green beans through eating them.
Jenny
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This was a cute story about a girl who hated to eat green beans. Kids and adults alike can see the humor in the situation. Martha reacts to her parents' kidnapping by the mean green beans in a way that many kids fantasize about; she eats everything she wants and stays up late watching her favorite movies. In the morning she sets about to take care of business and save the day.
  • The Case of the Missing Donut