Start by marking “Sable (Dark Sentinels #1)” as Want to Read:
Sable (Dark Sentinels #1)

Sable

(Dark Sentinels #1)

Dr. Akila Marshall is a veterinarian with a calling – save as many stray animals as possible. The only child of wealthy, yet distant parents, she’s convinced that love is not for her. Until…

ebook
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about Sable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sable

Cassandra
My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I really liked it!!!
***Received a copy of the ebook for an honest review

The cover is awesome and is what got my attention and pulled me toward the book.

This is the first book in the Dark Sentinels series, and my first time reading a book by Dariel :) It is a novella about 80 pages long. This is for adults only due to the steamy scenes.

Okay, I really loved this book until the end, and then I wanted to throw the book but it was my kindle….so yeah not happening!
A. Cook
Just Okay

This was an okay read but it lacked the elements that other shifter novels have. Was hoping for a page turner but that didn't happen.
Lynn
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
DARK SENTINELS BOOK ONE: SABLE is an introduction into the secret world of rare werewolf sentinels.

Sable and his twin sister, Syreena, are sentinels�wolf shifters in charge of pack security. Akila is a veterinarian who believes in the protection of all animals. Mr. Moore is a wealthy man who wants to study shifters.

When Syreena goes missing, Sable goes out searching for her, getting himself attacked in the process. Sable is shot with a drug that inhibits him from shifting to his human form and A
Natalie Gibson
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What goes better together than a female vet with a soft spot for animals most would like to see put down and a werewolf? Nothing. Akila and Sable were meant to be together from page one. I liked both main characters.
Sometimes I am looking for the spark of meeting, the adventure of finding out dark secrets, the heat of first times, and a sweet ending without having to devote a week of my free time to it. If you are looking for a relatively short paranormal romance with all the fun of a longer wor
Tina
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sable can't hear his sister in his head anymore and he know something is wrong. He heads down to Georgia to where he last feels his sister only to be caught by the same shifter hunters who caught his sister. After escaping he is caught by the pound as his captors gave him a drug stopping his from shifting. He's taken to Dr. Akila, a no-kill Vet and she takes care of him in wolf form. When he is able to shift, he continues his search for his sister but also starts hanging around Akila. Does she f ...more
Stephanie
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
I enjoyed reading this story so much! Super Shifters and the people they love! This story picks up where the prequel ended and continues at a quick pace. Although you do not have to read the prequel to enjoy the book, it does give some insight into this story you wouldn't have. I am hoping to see all these characters in the books to follow.
Susan Carroll
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The vet is an animal!

What is a wolf when he is not a wolf? A vet! And she is a vet who likes animals way more than she likes people! She has fallen quickly in love with a shifter and the feeling is mutual. Right now they have escaped danger, but of course the villain has escaped to play again another day. Great action, but I could have stayed in the story a much longer time.
Katara Johnson
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Akila

Akila is a vet who also owns an animal shelter . A wolf stumbles upon her shelter and like the animal lover she is , she took him home. The wolf is not who he seems causing her to see a paranormal world that was just under her nose. I love how the author shows how both Akila and Sable are strong in their own but together they are unstoppable.
Holly Bargo
Meh

Instalove combined with a heroine who's constantly sniveling and a hero who magically produces condoms as needed make this a less than well-constructed book. It doesn't suffer from frequent grammatical errors or funky formatting, so that's a plus. However, the writing is lackluster and the story light on detail. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either. Meh.
Labrina Abram
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Semi satisfied

I enjoyed the story though I felt it was incomplete I still want to hear more about Akila and Sable.
Jessica Clanton
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Kept me interested . Wish it didn't end. A book that I could read again. Can't wait to read the next one!
Tony
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z-list
2 1/2 Stars - I think everything is here for an outstanding story but it falls short because it doesn't give enough time and development to the mystery or even its wolf shifter world building.
Karina Halt
This was a lovely, fun and quick read. If you love shifter romance, then this is your book! I laughed out loud when Akila meet Sable, you have to read it I don't want to spoil it for you.
Jill
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but sweet

Reality good read. Just as good as a longer book with all the action suspense and love. Loved it. I want more
Kristi
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice short story to start out a new series with. I'm looking forward to more of this series.
Shannon
FUN, Fast, and Utterly Fantastic!

I'd award 6 stars if I could because this was just so much fun. If anyone's been following my reviews, they might notice how positive they've been lately. I swear that's only because I've been lucky enough to have chosen well! This is a completely honest review.

I'm starting my review of Dark Sentinels Book One:Sable by Dariel Raye at the end. I read the last page and kept flipping—to no avail, sadly. There was only a very minor cliffhanger. I'd classify it as a H
Jean Smith
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mr. Vicious finds a mate

Dr. Akila Marshall is a veterinarian and a No Kill advocate. So when she gets a call to come rescue a dog that a friend indicates there is a kill order for the next day she jumps in her car and rushes right over. However, this is no dog; they have a wolf on their hands and a surly one at that. Well surly that is with everyone but her. This beauty of an animal speaks to something in her from the start so instead of taking him to her shelter she takes him home with her. Noi
Jessica Nicholls
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ve only recently become familiar with Dariel Raye’s work, and I’m looking forward to reading more. She specialises in paranormal romance between adults. In my experience so far those adults are usually lovely human ladies who meet fallen angels, jinns or shifters. Her female heroines are strong, likeable but with soft sides that are easy to relate to. The men are (often literally) out of this world.
In Dark Sentinels Book One: Sable, Dr. Akila Marshall is a veterinarian with a heart of gold. W
Lynn Worton
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a fantastic paranormal romance! I loved it!

Dr. Akila Marshall is a fantastic character. She is a vet with a soft heart. When she takes in an injured wolf, she doesn't realise what fate has in store for her.

Sable is a wolf shifter. He is a wonderful character. He is an alpha male through and through! He is loving, and exceedingly protective of his family. He has been looking for his sister, who had disappeared w
Linda Tonis
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Akila Marshall is a veterinarian with a passion for animals. Born to rich parents who gave her everything but attention and love, animals became her friends and family. She is a woman who cannot turn her back on any animal in trouble and it is that devotion that changes her life.

When she rescues a wolf in danger of being killed little does she know that this wolf is a shifter named Sable. Sable is looking for his twin sister Syreena who has disappeared and in that pursuit he is captured and drug
Mia Darien
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Over all, I liked it. It was a quick, easy read with romance and the paranormal. These things are always fun. I did have a few little problems with it, though.

Mainly, Akila’s early motivation in bringing Brutus into her house and just letting him loose could have been clearer: how did she know this would be okay? She kind of says why later, but I would have liked to know earlier. It would have given me less of a “really, lady?” kind of moment.

There were some behind the scenes events about local
Karen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Summary : Sable – Dark sentinels book one

Sable’s search for his twin sister leads him to Akila. Born into a rare species of wolf shifters whose main purpose is protecting others, he has always been forced to fend for himself, but Akila’s loving, protective nature draws him – and not a moment too soon. Togeth
Catrina Barton
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the spirit of full disclosure I received a PDF in exchange for an honest review.

This is book one of a series, and was set up nicely. My only complaints are that it ends abruptly, {right when we're getting to see the characters open up to each other} and that we were introduced to many supporting characters, who I hope to see more of and discover more about in later books.

This book brings the readers into a world where anything is possible. I hope to read more of this series in the future. Dar
Sarah Smith
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
An easy read

Dark Sentinels: Sable is the story of Sable’s search for his twin sister, the dark experimentation being performed on his kind, and Sable’s friend/vet/mate Akila.

Recommendation: This is an easy read, and fun. The author very effectively builds their world in her descriptions of the characters’ backgrounds and their internal and external conflicts (versus just laying it out). Some more information could be given regarding the experiments, but the story is really about Akila and Sable,
Samantha Woods ( LSK Sweetheart Reviews )
Akila is a Vet and runs a no kill shelter. She absolutely LOVES animals, and is absolutely heartbroken at the thought of something happening to them. So when a friend calls her to tell her that they found a Wolf that is scheduled to be put down the following morning she goes and gets him and takes him home with her. Little does she know he's not what she thinks he is.

Sable was trying to find his sister when he was ambushed and shot with something that made him stay in his wolf form. He got away
Samantha Woods
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Lekeisha The Booknerd
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
Good, short story about shifters. I really like Sable and Akila.

Akila is a Veterinarian who loves her animals. She gets a call to take in a wolf, to her no kill shelter but takes him home instead. She knows right away that he's different. When he runs away, she rides around to look for him, but to no avail.

Sable; or Brutus, Akila's pet name for his wolf form, shows up at her clinic offering financial assistance for her no kill shelter. She's immediately drawn to him and agrees to a dinner dat
Lisa
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this couple a lot. Sable has such a sweet tender side to him under all his touch alpha attitude. Akila was a very loving, protective person. I found myself thinking along the same lines as her with the wolf. Just to kill an animal for having the bad luck of coming into your orbit is so wrong. And that's what it all boils down to killing for no reason because to save the animal is to much trouble for you to deal with. I would have taken the wolf home also. The main characters had great ch ...more
Maria11
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Straight to the point!

Received a free copy from Reading Alley for an honest review

This was a short and sweet introduction to the series. The plot rolled on smoothly and there was no dragging the author got right to the point and never looked back. I think there is much drama to come since he won't leave the pack he doesn't like. I really didn't get that. IIt did end in a cliffhanger to make you read the next book. I am interested to read it. There were some format problems when I had the book in
Jodie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read

Dark sentinels book one is the first book ive read by Ms. Deniel Raye and I wasn't disappointed. I loved how fast paced fun read. It had all the elements that I love to read in a story. After finishing I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series.
Highly recommend if you want a great read.

Review copy provided via Reading Alley in exchange for my honest review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
An author, musician, counseling psychologist, and animal rights activist, Dariel writes interracial/multicultural paranormal romance and dark urban fantasy featuring shifters, Nephilim, angels, and reluctant demons, all filled with action, alpha heroes, and strong heroines. As a child, she could always be found curled up with her dogs, cats, and a good book, even if the book was a dictionary or en ...more

Dark Sentinels (2 books)
  • Torin (Dark Sentinels #2)