Start by marking “Man*hattan: A Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
Man*hattan: A Fairy Tale

Man*hattan: A Fairy Tale

Meet Michael Dearborn. Telephone therapist by day, complete and utter mess by night.

It's just another New York story of boy meets boy, boy breaks up with boy, boy gets depressed, works in the basement of a funeral home, drinks too much, wakes up in a strange bed, dates a crazy person, and still makes it to brunch in time to tell the tale.
Published July 8th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Man*hattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man*hattan

Start your review of Man*hattan: A Fairy Tale
Wayne
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Man*hattan: a fairy tale by Philip Higgins is not your typical m/m romance. Though the story abounds with the Manhattanite stock bitchy gay characters, they are not there just to fill out the life of Michael, the nervous, emotionally uncertain narrator. They are at once surface-familiar and yet at odds with expectations. It is the narrator's sense of awareness and detail, and gutsy sense of humor that brings this story to life. His emotional vicissitudes steer the story away from the normal ...more
Amanda
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-glbt
I'm not sure how to rate this one. As a whole I enjoyed the book. It's quirky, fun and I just wanted to give Micheal hugs repeatedly. There were several things that niggled my mind but nothing too major. Sometimes I felt the story was all over the place, the ending was a bit quick and I got lost amongst all the friends occassionally. But The main characters are likeable and the story rings believable. (Side note:This is not written like your average gay romance novel, in fact the
Addicted2M/M
4.5 Entertaining, twisty fun. Would love to read more by this author.

Left off some of my shelves to avoid "spoilers".
John Clarke
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need more stars!

So many laughs, several tears, and Ton of feels! Absolutely loved these guys!! Author knows how to build his characters!!!
Snowtulip
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This story made me want to do an impression of Cher in Moonstruck and just slap Michael Dearborn and say "snap out of it"!

I spent most of the tale in that state, but I did enjoy Michaels dry humor, moments of insight (quickly overtaken by recklessness), and cadre of friends.

It's not a typical story, it's disjointed in parts, but it still kept me entertained. The story needs some polishing, but I'm definately curious to read this new authors upcoming works.
Lindsay Padgett
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
As I read this I couldn't help but think if Sex and the the City had a gay spin off... it would be this book. It has the smart clever banter of friends over brunch, the sexy but quirky bar scenes, and the tad over self articulating character that wants to find real love.
Dani Alexander
Aug 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
Reading this fall--maybe. Sounds New Yorky.
Nicole
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book. It definitely kept me interested and made me laugh. I love Walter!
Eve
Jul 19, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: bought
Kindle freebie 7/19/12
Kristy Maitz
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you want your time to be waisted, and if you want to read a story plot without a meaning then you are on the right path.
Kitten Blue
Mar 30, 2019
PaperMoon
Feb 09, 2020
Heather
rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2015
Feb 16, 2013
Dale Thele
Dec 09, 2013

• The Curse I Know
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • Summer Frost
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Lucky Days (Boystown, #9)
  • Imago (Imago, #1)
Philip Higgins is a psychotherapist in Massachusetts. He lives there with his husband – whom he met, dated and, when he finally came to his senses, married in Manhattan – and their 2 adorable sons in a great big old house they never could have afforded in New York City.