Start by marking “Backpack Like You Mean It: A crackpot tale of travel through Southeast Asia” as Want to Read:
Backpack Like You Mean It: A crackpot tale of travel through Southeast Asia

Backpack Like You Mean It: A crackpot tale of travel through Southeast Asia

This humorous account of travel through the jungles, cities, and villages of South East Asia will save you the trouble of stoically enduring spider bites, monkey attacks, machete throwing tribesmen, hungry lions, and even ringworm. A book great for scratching the travel itch, or spreading it.
Paperback
Published May 15th 2012 by Mad Dash Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Backpack Like You Mean It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backpack Like You Mean It

Caity
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this book by chance on Amazon as I was looking for some new travel stories to read and decided to check out the free sample on my Kindle. Within just a few minutes of starting, I was completely hooked! I had to buy it! So I did, and I feel that it was money quite well-spent. It was often very genuinely funny, with the author recounting tales of things that could only happen while on a highly unplanned trip around a handful of countries neither she nor her boyfriend could speak the langua ...more
Kat
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is excellent and thoroughly enjoyable. Having lived in Asia for many years, I have personally experienced some of the craziness described in the book. I was a kid for most of it, so we didn't really go off the beaten path like Neves and her boyfriend, but I definitely recognized elements of what happened. I can also personally attest to how well-founded a healthy fear of monkeys is -- in India, everyone had their own personal scary monkey story.
elstaffe
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this tale of journeying through South East Asia. There were a few minor copyediting errors (commas where there shouldn't be, no commas where they should), but that did not detract overly from my reading experience. I loved the occasional illustrations, the absence of overwrought scenic description (just enough to get the flavor of each place), and the author's voice as she took me from the States to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand (again), Malaysia, Singapore, Malaysi ...more
Jason Lewis
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
A humorous tale of the ups and downs of taking risks through prepared and spontaneous travelling abroad, the book gives the perspective of the amateur traveler attempting the most interesting places in the eastern hemisphere hardly ever explored by US citizens. Good easy sit-down read for someone wanting to see the different opinions expressed by outsiders toward the US.
I am hoping that Neves will one day attempt travels through other hardly visited portions of other continents, from Africa and
Florence
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book! Many people tire of travel stories, because they may or may not convey the excitement of being in a new place. However, this book is really an exception and makes you feel like you are dodging monkey attacks with the author! It is fascinating to learn about backpacking into the jungles of South East Asia, and it is even more exciting to realize that the contents in this book could easily happen to you as well! This book is highly recommended.
Ted Guglielmo
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: travelers
Fun to read and well written with humor and great anectdotes. It made me want to visit BUT not on bike or moped. and not with a 50 lb backpack.You will definatly enjoy the exploits and stay away from monkeys who want to rip your face off.
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indochina
Go get this book! You will laugh and you will learn.
Michelle Tompkins
Dec 30, 2013
Diane T.
Jan 13, 2013
Heather
Aug 16, 2012
Lori
rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2012
Jennifer Neves
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jason
Aug 07, 2012
Hong
Aug 08, 2012
Aug 10, 2012
Jennifer shot into the world one July evening in the early eighties. She grew up on a bean farm in Maine, with her parents, and three brothers. She studied biochemistry and genetics at the University of Maine, where she also learned the arts of mind control and duct tape upholstery. She realized shortly after entering the working world that biochemistry and duct tape wouldn't get her where she wan ...more