Start by marking “Half Blind (Freelance Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Half Blind (Freelance Magic, #1)

Half Blind (Freelance Magic #1)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"Opposites attract and drive each other crazy. "

"Freelance Magic, Book 1"

Eight years ago, wizard Ashley Brandon thought his mentor was above the temptation to misuse magic. He was wrong, and the aftermath left him scarred. And determined to never again let anyone close.

When he s assigned to a task force protecting an ancient relic, he butts heads with the infuriating, char
Published October 16th 2012 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Half Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Blind

Calathea
This one was a wonderful surprise. It's like a mixture of Ocean's Eleven (because it has a master thief and the theft of pricy, powerful artefacts) and White Collar (because we have Brandon, the CSIT agent) with some wizardry in the mix.
I liked the writing and characters. Unfortunately the story slipped away from me at about 85%, when it took a turn that either wasn't neccessary or not executed in a way that fit to the rest. That's why it's "only" 4 stars.
Parka
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, dnf
So I had some suspicions from the very start that kind of ruined this for me.

I don't really have problems with pull-to-press, at least when the fanfic is so AU that it can be read as original stories with no problem. And this one would work that way. But there are always little traces left behind.

In this case it was impeccably dressed, competent ice queen and the hideously-dressed, quirky, buff, tattooed, charming Englishman who delights in bothering him. These are hallmarks of Arthur/Eames In
Alyosha
Huh. I have no idea why I didn't enjoy Half Blind more than I did, it didn't have any obvious problems. But for whatever reason, it did not draw me in. 2.5 stars
Pete W
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The book was almost like a roller coaster ride but in a somewhat bland way. I like the subjects covered in this book: magic, ancient artifacts and wizards.

The beginning did not drew me in, somehow it felt... bland and dry in an odd way... Different from the dryness that I felt when I read books by the venerable Jordan Castillo Price. For me, the story became more interesting around 2/3 of the book and stayed that way until the end.

The speed and the strength of the MCs relationships progress and
Rhys Ford
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Hands down. Loved it.

I loved the character progression and the world building which is always tricky when you do an AU that's just a few steps away from reality. The delicate tangle of real and made-up is expertly done here and the lead characters are tightly written. Ashley is quite wound up and written so, flawlessly while Greer's looser character picking at Ashley's seams was perfectly done.

Great use of magic and the secondary characters stand out vividly against the blue-
Cassandra
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-romance
I'm probably one of the few people who found this story to be pretty hard to put down. I enjoyed it quite a bit and the characters were interesting.
GayListBookReviews
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book starts off with a bang, almost literally, with a massive betrayal and tragedy. I was hooked from the first couple of pages, sympathetic to the shock and hurt (both literal and emotional) that Ashley Brandon experienced. We’re given a glimpse of the dangers of magic, the temptations to use it for personal gain and how quickly the elements can subjugate the wielder. I was reminded of that moment in The Fellowship of the Ring when Frodo practically begs Gandalf to take the offending ring ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
4 Stars

This story was well written, flowed well, and kept me absorbed. What follows are my notes.

Of course the sole woman character is a bitch and all good-side make characters are nice.

Greer is over the top with a very legitimate sexual harassment suit case being made. It's gone past flirting and I'm starting to not like him. He's being disrespectful to Brandon.

The term wifebeater is used yet again and I think it's a horrible thing to say. Plus, the shirt in question wasn't even one. They're
Ayanna
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I'd like to say something. First off, Canada. Canada.

Okay, now that I got my 'Murica moment over...
Oh, who am I kidding?

The entire thing was a 'Murica moment. I'm sorry, but I cannot help but snicker every time I hear "Canada" or any of its derivative forms.

Anyways, I pretty promptly forgot what CSIT stood for except there's Canada (*snicker) somewhere in it.

Also...
GODDAMN BITCH. Yeah, wait until the middle of the book to spring that fucking "Charles" shit trap. I'd just gotten used to seeing hi
L.E.
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
It started out exciting, then petered out halfway through before the action picked up again... sorta like a rollercoaster ride. The plot twist towards the end was what made it more interesting, other than that, I found the last 10% a bit bland, which is a bit strange to say because that's where the rest of the action was (you know: piss off the bad guy and he makes you regret it, then you find a way to show him who's really the top dog).

I found Charles much more engaging than Ashley, who came a
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Demon Dog (Mojo Mysteries, #1)
  • Stolen Hearts (Stolen Hearts, #1)
  • Blessed Curses
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • The Shift
  • Coyote's Creed (Broken Mirrors, #1)
  • The Courtship of Julian St. Albans (Consulting Magic, #1)
  • Wick (Wick #1)
  • Song of Oestend (Oestend #1)
  • Came Upon a Midnight Clear
  • Too Many Fairy Princes
  • The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Darach's Cariad (Fire, #2)
  • Brown-Eyed Devil (Brown-Eyed Devil #1)
  • Spell Cat (The Aloysius Tales, #1)
  • Sorcerer's Knot
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
There is more than one author with this name

Christine Price lives with her husband, two psychotic cats and a dumb Anatolian shepherd in Edmonton, AB. Her fascination with the written word began at a young age with a one-page story titled “My Mother is a Werewolf” and took off from there. In her spare time, she enjoys reading good books, drinking good wine and fine-tuning her mental filters.
More about Christine Price...