Start by marking “Romance” as Want to Read:
Romance

Romance

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A short story, read by Chuck himself and available in audio exclusively from Blackstone.
Originally published in Playboy magazine, “Romance” is a twisted love story like only Chuck could tell.
Audiobook, Digital Download, Unabridged
Published 2011 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

Scot
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read or listen to this book (I recommend listening) you need to be ready to be offended or disgusted by some things. If you can look past that, you will love it. I listened to Chuck read this when he was touring for his book Damned and he was amazing. He is a great reader and speaker.
Althea Ann
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A guy who knows he's 'nothing special' meets a gorgeous woman on the way to Lollapalooza, and the next thing you know, is head-over-heels in love. But, given that this is Palahniuk, you kind of know that a disturbing twist is coming... watch for the clues!
Richard
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is best listened to rather than read. It's a nice change of pace for Chuck but still different and cringe-worthy. Awesome stuff.
Andrés
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't know if it's because I've had too much of Palahniuk already, but I feel as if I'd read this story before. And it's not one of his best. In typical Palahniuk fashion, there were parts that were shockingly disgusting; on the other hand, nothing really surprised me, as I saw the "twist" coming a mile away.

Having said that, there's not really much to hate here. This is a pretty short audiobook to keep us entertained until his next shocker comes along.
Sean
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Rob
Feb 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I promised myself I would never read another Palahniuk book after I read Choke, and I went and broke that promise (sort of, this is just a short story). Why would I do that? I don't know why I would voluntarily subject myself to this garbage. Never again. Until I read Lullaby or something.
Lawnzilla
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
:') Beautiful
Brittany
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
"Magic trick! Puppet Show!" Loved this short story, and it was great to hear it read by Chuck too.
Chloe
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is so typically Palahniuk f-cked up and i just love it. Its twisted and weird
Anton Petrov
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This just reminded me how much I love Chuck Palahniuk. And it is a bit frightening, because he writes about some pretty nasty stuff sometimes.. and I don't know if a normal person should love or even like these kind of things.. Not that such things are present in this short story. But I have to be honest with you - All of it is awesome! The way he manages to keep my attention, the tension of the story, the way he provokes, makes you involved even by your disagreement or judgement. I guess you'll ...more
Catalina J. García
"(...) and then it turned out it wasn't the pineapple or the self-discipline because she found out she really had cancer, but she slimmed down to wearing a bitchin' hot size two before she died.

Is this ridiculously dark sense of humor what makes me love Chuck passionately. Some may say that he has no respect for anything, but I say that he has the bravery of behaving as a genuine human being. I want to be like him in my life.

"Romance" is a beautiful love story, but it couldn't have missed Chu
Joshua Boiser
Another witty, twisted yet satirical masterpiece from the legendary and literary god himself, Mr. Chuck Palahniuk.

This short story zooms in on one essential question; to what extent does love is still a love? Then dozens of questions can be sprouted out from the tips of this, such as, does deluding yourself can be considered as love? Does a mentally retarded person capable of love? Is this love?

Now that's a reminder that the book youve just read is a good one. It leaves your mind clouded with un
Sonia Freddo
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Faccio fatica a dare un parere su questo libro. Se dovessi utilizzare una sola parola per descriverlo direi che è disturbante.
Racconti ai limiti del paranormale che sono una metafora della nostra assurda società .
Un libro che non si dimentica facilmente.
Dina Hekal
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Palanhnuik has a strong ability to cause a special kind of disturbance.
a funny short story with a wise message.
If you keep waiting for the perfect soulmate to come, you'll never find Love. Because it's how much you love a person is what makes him perfect <3 <3 <3
Vojtisek
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
totálně krutá povídka s krásným poselstvím na závěr... původní hodnocení bylo o dvě hvězdy slabší, protože až po chvíli mi došly všechny narážky... zájemci pomocí googlu stáhnout US Playboy srpen 2011 a "nalistovat" stranu 62 nebo na youtube vyhledat autorské čtení...
Lisa Quillin
Jul 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: on-line
not my favorite.
Brian
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Come on now, that twist was unexpected and funny as it gets! I did not see that one coming. I'm not really a big Chuck Palahniuk fan but I throughly enjoyed this shorty-but-goody.
Kristine Vela
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
"If you keep waiting for somebody perfect you'll never find love, because it's how much you love them that makes them perfect." -- The twist wasn't the usual Palahniuk twist tho.
Moataz Ibrahim
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chuck Palahniuk's writing scent is all over it. Somewhat chocking, but marvelous all the same.
Darth
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Not long enough for the patented Palahniuk twisted mind-f*ck, this is still an interesting little nugget of a tale of different people.
xal/
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
a humorous/emotional ride, an eye-opener in some kind of way .
Paul Servini
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Received this as a free download. I thought the narration was well done but the whole thing in pretty bad taste.
Benjamin Shehu
Dec 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
A very disappointing piece of a short story by Palahniuk, while a very quick read, it tells of only mentally deranged people, which isn't everybody's cup of tea.
Craig
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Um....okay.
Tabatha Paine
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you love Chuck and how he writes, you will love this story too. He reads it to you in the audio file version, and that just makes it better!
Julia
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whoa, this one was actually so sweet.
Kinda unusual for Chuck to write this kind of story, but it's still very good and it doesn't mean there is no gross-ness here too.
Magg {Morgan} Paukner
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually thought this story was cute. Chuck is such a talented writer. He has easily become an auto-buy author, for me!
Igor
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this Story Chuck at his best!
'hayat
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.75*
Mike
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wow, that was a weird story! Nothing much more to say about it. Didn't hate it, but at least it was short.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • You Do Not Talk About Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection
  • Return of the Jedi: The Original Radio Drama
  • Clown Girl
  • I Met Lucky People: The Story of the Romani Gypsies
  • El gran laberinto
  • Think Bayes
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • Spirit House
  • The Lost Chapters of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
  • Super Happy Magic Forest
  • Chuck Berry: The Autobiography
  • Poe-Land: The Hallowed Haunts of Edgar Allan Poe
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’ ...more
More about Chuck Palahniuk...

“Everybody looks a little crazy if you're looking close enough and if you can't look that close, then you don't really love them.” 32 likes