Start by marking “Batwoman, Vol. 2: To Drown the World” as Want to Read:
Batwoman, Vol. 2: To Drown the World

Batwoman, Vol. 2: To Drown the World

(Batwoman (2011) #2)

Six lives, inextricably linked in the past and present, each on a collision course with the others: Batwoman, fighting for duty and vengeance against a threat of arcane power. Detective Maggie Sawyer, investigating a case that could end her career. DEO Agent Cameron Chase, commanding a vigilante she despises. Colonel Jacob Kane, clutching at a life that's slipping away. Ma ...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by DC Comics (first published January 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Batwoman, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batwoman, Vol. 2

Jayson
(B) 73% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: Strained by dull contrivance, it’s swivel-necked and dizzy: ambling inarticulate through the land of forever prologue.
Marpapad
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
[3.5]
Anne
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
The art is still great, and the plot would be awesome if it wasn't so confusing to read.
Too much jumping around on the timeline is one problem, but also too many stories. As in, so-and-so's story. Eh, it's cool every now and then to see what's happening from another character's point of view, but this volume was overloaded with it.

I'm not giving up on this title yet, though.
James DeSantis
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Merry Christmas Everyone!

So I finished up Batwoman volume 2 last night and I'm glad to report it's as good as volume 1. I can't believe I waited this long to read New 52 Batwoman. Now I know why people love her.

So kids have gone missing and Batwoman is on the case. Simple enough, right? This book jumps around through various timelines to show you how each character is building towards confrontation. A mixture of mystery, drama, love life, and death all combined to make a compelling, dark, twis
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Well, now, THAT was a major disappointment. I waited all this time for the paperback collection and I get THIS? Six disjointed stories, slapped together helter-skelter, some of them contributing little to nothing to the main storyline or others repeating the same notes. I mean, do we really need Kate's story if we have Batwoman's? What does having her father's story contribute, other than he is incredibly obsessed over his niece? And is it really necessary to have a story for Chase
Elinor Master of Gifs
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Alors... j'aime toujours autant Batwoman. Mais j'ai trouvé la chronologie un peu confusante. En même temps ce n'était pas une mauvaise idée. Mais c'était un peu confusant quand même.
Mike
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Catching up with the rest of my GR friends, I noticed they generally rated this volume lower than both the first and the later ones. And you know what? I can't disagree with them, at least I won't say this is *better* than the last volume.

First off, the art's a helluva step down - not that anyone could easily step into JHWIII's shoes, and this is no exception. Weak pencils, weaker finishes - hard to take seriously, let alone whether it's the gorgeous artwork of before.

Second, the narrative time
Eli
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, 2016
This was a little more complex than the other ones. The weird magical villain organization called Medusa made their debut and there was just a lot of weird monsters and mutants and stuff. It was slightly interesting. But the real kicker was that this comic was all over the place in terms of POV and time. For example, two pages would be of Kate's dad two weeks ago, then four pages of Kate now, then two pages of Maggie an hour ago, then some new character three months ago. It wasn't as confusing a ...more
Sam Quixote
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Mike
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed-series
Growing up, I had two big hardcover books of Batman stories (not listed in GR, as I gave them away and cannot recall the exact versions). Something like "greatest stories" and "from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's"

You always knew where you stood with the Batman. Gadgets were consistent and understandable. Relationships were fixed and straightforward, whether apprentice or villain or femme fatale. Allegiances were black and white. Time was linear.

Which is, for me, the opposite of the Batwoman exper
Sesana
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
There are some serious issues with the story here. The most obvious is the way that the narrative jumps around constantly, seemingly at random. So on one page you may be reading a scene with Chase that happened a month ago, the next you're reading the battle scene that's happening "now". Which makes the battle last for the entire six issues collected here. Telling the story non-linearly might have been a good idea, but here it feels more like the pages were dropped and put back together at rando ...more
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Review of Volume 0
Review of Volume 1

I almost gave up reading the series because of this Volume. As if it was already not difficult enough reading through J.H. Williams' plethora of over-detailed (though admittedly gorgeous) 2-page spreads, the creators have now decided to up the level for us readers by incorporating a chronologically non-linear style of story-telling. Its a test for your IQs and patience people and only the toughest readers can fare well. I will give you a preview of the chapter
Basma
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this going to turn into my next favorite series.
Nancy Meservier
Perhaps the one benefit to the current Batwoman controversy is the fact that it has inspired me to make an effort to catch up on the comic. To Drown the World continues the storyline started in Hydrology. Batwoman, aka Kate Kane, has been blackmailed into working for the DEO, bringing her face to face with a host of villains straight out of legends.

I feel a little torn on To Drown the World. On one hand, I really enjoyed the no holds barred artwork, which is filled with vibrant colors, unique an
Kurt
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
This collection starts with a fairly standard superhero premise: hero fights gang of bad guys. It's a bit more interesting than other stories of its type, though, from the injection of horror elements, since this particular gang consists of living urban legends (from Bloody Mary, out to kill girls at slumber parties, to Killer Croc as the mutant crocodile living in the sewers in every city in the country), and the tale twists around itself through a careful non-linear structure. Although the cre ...more
Jessica (HighFantasyFanatic)
Loving the art style and the way this narrative is headed. However the mixed timeline was kind of annoying and brought the rating down.
Jedi JC Daquis
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Rereading Batwoman again after three years, and much like what I have felt before, this is the volume of Williams' run that I really wanted to skip. To Drown The World could have been way better without the jumbling timelines and so many character point of views.

In fact, everytime you turn a page, there is a high chance that the story will take you three months ago, two days ago, 15 hours ago or whatever timeline the story wants you to see fron whoever character it wants you to experience. It is
J.M. Hushour
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is hands-down DC's best book. Too bad those lesbian-haters over at the DC office's won't let Batwoman marry another woman. Fools! This has driven the epic creative team behind this book to head for more tolerant waters.
A lot of the reviews here bitch about the structure of the book. This is part of its innovative beauty: non-linear stories, out-of-chronology pages and panels all make this book stand out. Light years ahead of the rest of the New 52 drivel.
Batwoman's part of Gotham City is t
ChrisVigilante
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, lgbtqia
I'm conflicted. I wish this section was more linear. Was confused for too much of it even though it all comes together eventually. It was just too disjointed. Still love the character. Batwoman is great.
Monsour
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Its not good as the first one

The art is still good, but I totally prefer the J.H William III art in this story. The phasing is jumble, it jumps into multiple time/area and loss everything in the final scene.

Still looking forward for the next volume.
Wing Kee
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Art and story dropped a bit.

World: Williams III is only writing so the art did take a dip. Sure the splash pages are still there but it's missing the weight in the art. The world building is solid, building upon the last arc giving more supernatural Gotham for readers.

Story: The story is a bit choppier. I know that the design is like that and that's the intention. But what we gain from the framing we lose in the character moments and development. The story is good, I like the supernatural angl
Charlos
This gets a somewhat grudging three stars. Artwork is inferior to the first volume, which is a shame as the first volume was gorgeous. Multiperspective storyline detracts from the narrative instead of enhancing it. I also kept mixing up her girlfriend and the DEO agent: visually distinguishing them more would have been helpful. Also, the more this goes along, the less plausibly it fits into the larger Batman franchise (the big question being, why would Bat Prime let any of the Batlings be behold ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Thanks to NetGalley, I got to read this a month before it comes out. The art is stunning, just like volume 1. The story is a bit disjointed as it is told in multiple time periods that all lead to the central action going on. You learn more about Kate's childhood, and how her father feels about her, details I'm not sure she herself knows. You see more of her relationship and her struggle to balance being a superhero with focusing on another person. Anything more might give it away.
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcu
The artwork is gorgeous and the creativity on this title is incredible on this series, Batwoman is definitely one of the most cutting-edge mainstream comics on the market these days.

But the structuring of this story is horrible. Cut up into a million pieces. Even the storyboarding was tough to decipher at times.

I hope this volume is not indicative of how future Batwoman stories will be told.

3/5
Andrew
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Andrew by: http://www.miffedinclifton.blogspot.ca
Shelves: c-comics
Well, this was just disappointing. This series has kinda sucked so far. I don't think I'll continue reading anymore. I felt almost zero connection with any of the characters, the plot seemed nonsensical and forced.

The art is nice but not up to Williams's usual fare.
Ma'Belle
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Still beautiful and fantastic.
Kaique
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-52, dc
A bit confusing. A lot of things going on all at once. The story being told from several different perspectives and different points in time felt weird every so often. Im giving it 3 stars because I really like the character and this series has some of my favourite artwork.
Steven Bell
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this a little less interesting than the prior volume but all right on the whole. JH Williams III's beautiful art was sorely missed.
MC
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Batwoman, Vol. 2: To Drown the World was a decent read, but it fell far short of the quality of the first volume. To summarize briefly, here is the plot. Kate Kane, aka Batwoman, is being blackmailed into working for a US government agency tasked with investigating the paranormal threats against the country. The feds, with Batwoman's help, is on the trail of the sinister occult group that was behind the kidnappings in the first book, and now there is real hope that Kate can rescue these missing ...more
Paul Roth
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I hadn't picked up a DC new 52 comic yet, but I'd read on the internet about how the Batwoman title was the best of them. Really?

I got this via a goodreads advance copy giveaway and since I didn't know the story yet, I got ebook versions of issues 1-5 (since this volume is a collection of 6-10 in a hardback omnibus). The first five issues don't do an origin story, though the first has a clever 2-page splash as a flashback and every issue does the boilerplate "this is the origin" blurb at the beg
Madison Mega-Mara...: #28 Batwoman vol 2 by J.H. Williams III 1 1 Mar 23, 2015 08:47PM
  • Batgirl, Vol. 2: Knightfall Descends
  • Swamp Thing, Volume 2: Family Tree
  • Animal Man, Volume 2: Animal vs. Man
  • Earth 2, Vol. 2: The Tower of Fate
  • Batman Incorporated, Volume 1: Demon Star
James H. "Jim" Williams III, usually credited as J. H. Williams III, is a comic book artist and penciller. He is known for his work on titles such as Chase, Promethea and Desolation Jones.

Batwoman (2011) (6 books)
  • Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology