Start by marking “The Prescribed Burn” as Want to Read:
The Prescribed Burn

The Prescribed Burn

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Constantly overcome by the noise in her head, aspiring young artist Veda can’t seem to loosen her grip from anything beyond her control.

A hesitant and sometimes misguided journey to develop her talent for visual art eventually opens Veda’s passage to self-acceptance and maturity.

In these 15 stories, you’ll meet Veda at both her best and sometimes most unlikable worst. Bo
Published September 15th 2012 by Painted Egg Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Prescribed Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prescribed Burn

Zach
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Prescribed Burn collects 17 stories about adolescent and young adult doubt. Veda, the main character in all these stories, is in the process of figuring things out, and what is that process if not the doubting of oneself? More importantly, though, it is the process of questioning the social and societal norms to which we feel required to adhere. Veda doesn’t always break free of the mold of “young American/Ukrainian woman.” She’s not always a reliable narrator. But even when she’s in the mid ...more
Jamie Godfrey
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What I loved most about this book was Wirstiuk's honesty and compassion for her protagonist, Veda. I could picture her walking beside Veda, guiding her, but letting all the raw emotion flow. There were several tender, funny, and relatable moments. I could see a great deal of myself in Veda and for me that connection made this book unputdownable. :-) Highly recommended.
Kiersi
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories revolves around the life of Veda, a second-generation Ukrainian girl growing up in Jersey, learning why girls diet, why boys are irresistible, and how art ties it all together.

I believe there is a particular kind of reader for every particular kind of book. The Prescribed Burn is a book about growing up--for grown-ups. It's about realizing your friends are shaving their legs and no longer eating Pringles, and how that realization, at one point, changed your life.
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
As soon as I saw this promoted as 'stories for anyone who couldn't relate to Holden Caulfield', I was sold -- The Catcher in the Rye is a very strong least favorite of mine. I love coming-of-age stories and Wirstiuk's collection of vignettes immediately grabbed me as I just was smitten with our unlikely heroine.

Veda, from a Ukrainian family in New Jersey, is an aspiring artist. She's self-absorbed, sad, moody, friendly, uneasy, lovely. Veda is the kind of friend I would have liked to have in co
Judy
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
We meet Veda in this collection of 15 short stories. I sort of feels like a novel because it involves the same main character and her family and friends. The stories are not told in chronological order, I am not sure why the author did that, but it doesn't detract from the reading at all. It's a bit like sneaking a peek in someones diary at various times and you just open it to a random page and sneak a read.

Veda's story is told with candor and open-mindedness. She is a young woman experiencing
Nate Jordon
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“I was always trying to piece together the broken pieces.”

Welcome to the life of Veda, the main character in The Prescribed Burn. Laryssa Wirstiuk’s collection of short-stories explores the life of a teenage girl as she develops into a young woman, putting all the broken pieces together. These stories are a search for the self, an identity, in a patchwork of stories and photos. All the big questions are explored: Who am I? Where am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going? But, most importantl
Ryanfeu92
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a 20 year old male, I didn't think I would find this book—which documents the life of Veda, a Ukrainian girl/preteen/teen/adult—relatable.

Was I wrong.

"The Prescribed Burn" is much more than a biography; it is a coming of age tale. All of Veda's experiences are shared: issues of body image, low self-esteem, fears of growing up, intimacy, lasting intimacy, success, and acceptance. Through the eyes of Veda, Wirstiuk projects an image of ourselves, and the life journeys that we are all on.

And,
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I rather enjoyed this series of short stories. Veda was easy to relate to and goes through many similar experiences that most teens and early twenty-year-old's do. This was a self-published book and I enjoyed the bonus material (discussion questions & writing prompts). One thing that stopped me from loving it, however, was that the narrative at times was too distant. I would have liked more description about how Veda felt about what was happening to her, or simply more general description to ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I prefer the linear narrative of a novel to the short story format of this book, I did enjoy the story telling. Each story's ending left me with something to think about. I related to the pressures felt by the main character, Veda, especially in the story "Welcome to America," and felt that the author narratively pointed out many common themes of growing to adulthood that American women face, including all the burns.
Megan
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very unique book! I've never read anything like it. It was definitely a divergence from the genre I typically read, which is science fiction, but it was refreshing. I empathized with Veda throughout the book. I can see this as a TV show! I look forward to more books from this fantastic author.
Alfred C. Martino
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Laryssa Wirstiuk is a wonderful new writer! Her short stories are elegant and pithy.
Amanda