Start by marking “American Negro Poetry” as Want to Read:
American Negro Poetry

American Negro Poetry

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
With 200,000 copies in print, this anthology has for decades been seen as a fundamental collection of African-American verse. Bontemps (1902-73), an important figure during and after the Harlem Renaissance, author of more than 25 novels, and longtime librarian at Fisk University, last revised this classic anthology just before his death, adding such crucial new voices as A ...more
Published December 31st 1995 by Hill and Wang (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about American Negro Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Negro Poetry

Carhyne
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10th-grade
I don't really believe that this collection of poetry had a specific theme amongst them all but the most common theme I saw in a ,majority of them greatly exemplified how a relationship with God effects how you value life. This theme wasn't stated blatantly in any of the poems but you can tell because the poets say things relating their life to how much they go to church and how they think of life.

I like this collection because it's from a time period that I really have a deep interest in. One
Julie
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This book edited by Arna Bontemps covers Afircan-American poetry for about a 70 year period.

I especially liked the works included by the Harlem Renaissance poets, particularly Waring Cuney, Frank Horne and Arna Bontemps. Langston Hughes is well represented in this book as well.

Any lover of poetry should read this book! Although I have to retun this copy to the library, I am going to look around for a copy to purchase - this one is a keeper.

Stephanie
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
this was everything i want from an anthology: i read new work from people i've never heard of but should know, and kept finding old favorites and loved ones as i went, as if i was at a dinner party i was lucky to attend.
Michael
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it
While I wish some poems weren't so predictable, its the same wish I have for Caucasian heavy anthologies. I was glad to see some names I've never read, a few poems from names I've encountered before. Not my favorite, but better than most.
William
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A strong collection of poems. Now amazingly, more than 50 years old. This is a fine introduction to the early and mid-century poetry. Of course more recent voices are missing such as much of Rita Dove, Naasha Trethewey, Yusef Komunyakaa, Kevin Young and others.
emm
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A great collection of poetry.
Priscilla
Aug 11, 2013
Elina
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Arnaud "Arna" Wendell Bontemps (October 13, 1902 – June 4, 1973) was an African-American poet, novelist and librarian, and a noted member of the Harlem Renaissance

(from Wikipedia)