Start by marking “Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Suspect

(Scott James & Maggie #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  19,965 ratings  ·  2,490 reviews
LAPD cop Scott James is not doing so well. Eight months ago, a shocking nighttime assault by unidentified men killed his partner Stephanie, nearly killed him, and left him enraged, ashamed, and ready to explode. He is unfit for duty...until he meets his new partner.

Maggie is not doing so well, either. A German shepherd who survived three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan sniff
Published January 22nd 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

·  19,965 ratings  ·  2,490 reviews

Kemper
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery, 2013, 5-0
My mother is the office manager for a small city’s police department and several years ago I visited her at work, and she introduced me around the station. The K9 came in with his handler, and the dog ran up to my mom for a happy hello. He noticed me and immediately went into a Who-The-Hell-Is-In-My-Office mode. The officer gave him the ‘Be cool.’ command, and the dog was instantly friendly. After a quick sniff to make sure I wasn’t carrying drugs or explosives (Luckily, I had locked them all in ...more
Elyse Walters
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazon-Audible- Daily Special: Narrated by MacLeod Andre

I had never heard of this author - nor had I read any reviews. I liked the ‘sample’ - downloaded it and began listening right away.

Maggie is one of the greatest characters in this detective crime novel. Maggie is a German Shepherd, weighing eighty-five pounds. Oh my gosh ... I love her!

At the start we meet Maggie and her partner Pete Gibbs. They are both in the marines. While in Afghanistan, their unit is attacked by enemy fire. Pete and
Alan
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best Dog Book Ever!

Perhaps you'll start this book, as I did, by wishing it had been Elvis Cole #14 and/or Joe Pike #5. But you will definitely finish it cheering and hoping that it is actually Scott & Maggie #1!

This was a great new read from Robert Crais with a cast of new characters (although the hyper sex-driven SID criminalist John Chen from the Cole/Pike books makes a cameo appearance in his usual sleazy style) centring around two post-traumatic stress syndrome damaged survivors trying t
O'Dell Isaac
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series (and the Joe Pike spinoff series), but I must admit I have been less of a fan of his stand-alone fiction. This is not a knock on Crais as a writer; it's more about my own tendency to form attachments to series characters. So when Suspect came out and I realized it was a stand-alone, I was less than enthused. But in my desperation for something new to read, I reluctantly picked it up.

It turned out to be one of Crais' best novels.

LAPD officer Scott
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
A man and his dog. It's a beautiful thing.

Maggie the German shepherd kicked this up into the five-star zone for me. Crais made her so real that I wanted to zip down to L.A. and stage a dognapping. Of a fictional dog...

Scott James is a Los Angeles cop with PTSD. Maggie has PTSD too, following an event in her service to the U.S. Marines. Scott and Maggie team up to solve a murder, and they end up rehabilitating each other.

I loved the way Crais included small sections viewed from the dog's perspe
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Admirer's of Working Dogs
This sounded great! About a working dog (don’t even get me started, I’m fanatical in my admiration) and a police officer both struggling with PTSD. Maggie the dog was a bomb sniffer in Afghanistan, Scott an LAPD cop. Both lost their partners, both are wounded - unable to function - that is till they meet and form a healing bond. Well written, the debilitating symptoms of PTSD described with finesse. I mean what’s not to like? An interesting touch Scott doesn’t even LIKE dogs, only chose a K-9 c ...more
Michael Slavin
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Action, adventure and a look at the world from a dogs perspective.

It has such great detail about the relationship between the dog (Maggie) and her pack leader (police officer Scott James). You will love the descriptions of how Maggie feels throughout the book. A gem.

I also love Crasis multiple POV's in the story which I must say is also a characteristic of my own writing (Kill Crime).

Very different, very good!
Ami

I gobbled this up for few hours -- safely to say that this is, so far, my FAVORITE Robert Crais novel, Cole/Pike notwithstanding.

For me personally, this novel is less on the thriller-suspense but more on the friendship between Scott and the amazing 85-pound black-and-tan German shepherd dog by the name of Maggie. Both Scott and Maggie have experienced a tragedy in their lives.

Scott got shot at the same night he lost his partner, Stephanie in a sudden nighttime assault. Scott always fee
Phrynne
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book which tells about a police dog handler and the dog he is partnered up with. Both of them have been through very stressful times and the story of their bonding is just beautiful. Along with that there is a great police procedural/ mystery which ticks all the boxes. Such an entertaining and easy read and one that you just do not want to put down.
I enjoyed all of the characters but of course the star of the show is Maggie the German Shepherd. There are some delightful ch
Antigone
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Robert Crais is one of my favorite authors of crime fiction. His work is sharp, well-crafted and beautifully paced. His characters have weight, his dialogue's smart, and it certainly doesn't hurt that his stories take place in my neck of the woods, modern-day Los Angeles, or that very few of his plots include forays into the entertainment industry. Oh, he dipped a toe early on, but his interest didn't stick and I'm grateful for that. Grateful he chose, instead, to explore the grittier side of th ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, favorites
What can I say here other than...SCORE? Excellent read.

What we got here is a story of two badly, badly injured individuals who are brought together by circumstances and help each other heal as they also help those who come in contact with them. The fact that one of the individuals is a German Shepherd makes no difference at all.

Or for some may even make it better...Dean Koontz would love this book. Someone needs to recommend it to him.

Maggie is a Marine. She has multiple jobs but one of them is
Sean Peters
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
My second Robert Crais book, and this was a very entertaining, enjoyable, exciting read.

I am an animal lover, which helps with this book, I admire the work done with all dog trainers/handlers/soldiers/police, which is the base of this story.

What a team, one man and his dog, or one policeman and his dog.

You feel throughout this book the relationship grow and built between a dog recovering from injury and a policeman recovering from injury together.

The tension stays at an even pace for two thirds
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is a book that you need to read if you're an animal lover! I loved the whole aspect of the bond that formed between Scott and Maggie. They are both wounded warriors, grieving their lost love ones, and somewhat rejected because of their emotional/physical wounds. Maggie was so awesome, I felt my heart fill with love for this wonderful German Shepherd. I am a huge fan of this breed, and Crais presents their wonderful natures in the most truthful and vibrant way.

Crais fills in some interestin
Karla

4.5 Stars! Gripping, intense plot...fantastic narration!

Maggie
 photo 1ea8dfa6-ef98-447d-b337-dc31d6fe9c40_zpsnrkysv45.jpg
My first read by this author and I really enjoyed it! While there was a satisfying ending, I could see these characters finding their way into another story, and I'm hoping that's a possibility! Do you hear me Robert Crais??

About the audiobook...
 photo audiogif_zpse5a62770.gif
Macleod Andrews is one of my favorite narrators. This talented man knows how to use his voice no matter the genre of book he reads, and always gives it that extra little punch!
James Thane
MWD Maggie T415 is an eighty-five pound black and tan German shepherd; she's also a Marine halfway through her second deployment in Afghanistan. With her handler, Pete Gibbs, she works as part of a patrol and explosives detection team. The two are devoted to each other and then one morning, while out on patrol, Maggie is sniffing out IEDs, when the unit comes under enemy fire. Pete is killed; Maggie is badly wounded and when they are choppered out together, Maggie is left with no one.

Scott James
William
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great pacing, straightforward, good prose style, and detailed enough to be satisfying.

This is mostly a "classic" detective story, uncovering clues and knitting a big picture of a crime in linear fashion. The characters and police behaviour are quite believable, and the cop is heroic and is on a mission to solve the puzzle, and to save himself from his earlier mistakes.

The bonus here is the warm and wonderful bonding between the cop and his K-9 partner.

I spoke with Crais on 3 July 2018 in Staines
Kirsten #NeverAgainIsNow
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, made-me-cry
I just loved this book! I would've given it 3 stars just for the dog! But, it added to that with a great mystery-thriller-police procedural storyline and the relationship that grows between a man and his K9 partner (both of whom have PTSD) just makes it that much better.

I also really liked Maggie's POV. That was just cherry on the top. It also made me think of my relationship with my dogs all the more. They are pack and I am their pack.

I think even non-dog people would like this book, but if y
Barbara
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it

In this thriller Police Officer Scott James is badly injured and his partner is killed when they inadvertently stumble into a heist on a Los Angeles street. Elsewhere, Maggie, a German Shepherd "Marine dog" is shot and injured while sniffing for explosives in Afghanistan.

Months later, after they heal, Scott and Maggie come together in the K-9 (cop/dog) unit of the Los Angeles police department. Scott and Maggie train and bond under the tutelage of veteran handler Sgt. Dominick Leland. The bondi
Carolyn
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, animal-stories
Eight months after being horrifically injured in an armed hold up in which his partner dies, LAPD cop Scott James is trying to get on with his life and is training to be a K-9 police dog handler. Not really a dog lover, something clicks when he meets Maggie the German shepherd, herself badly injured in Afghanistan when her army handler was killed.

Together Scott and Maggie start to form a bond and become a formidable team especially when Scott starts to look into why little progress has been mad
Paul E. Morph
All the stars! I absolutely loved this one. Scott and Maggie (especially Maggie) are great characters that I instantly warmed to and I'm really hoping the author writes many more books about them. The actual case in this novel was secondary to me to the development of Maggie and Scott's newfound relationship and how it is essential to their recovery from their individual traumas.

P.S. Scott is a Police Officer. Maggie is a Marine.

P.P.S. Maggie is also a dog. :-D
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

MacLeod Andrews did a good job narrating this audiobook. I think its always especially challenging to tell a story where part of the viewpoint is taken from that of an animal. I think the portrayal of the dog training/dog behaviour information in this book brought it from a 3 star to 4 star rating for me. The spotlight really shone on Maggie and what an extraordinary soldier she was. The training these working dogs and their handlers undergo is intensive and detailed. I think the
Carol
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I heard Robert Crais talk about his book Suspect a while ago. I was immediately attracted to the story by Crais' enthusiasm for his subject. Many authors are dog owners, some host to a houseful. I thought Crais was one of them. Reading his bio I see his home is a feline one at present but I knew there had to be dogs in his past. Reading additional interviews Crais explains he had always had dogs from the time he was a kid. The last, Yoshi, was a big guy, an Akita. After living with Crais for fif ...more
Rex Fuller
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Truly Outstanding. One of Crais' best. On a par with Taken and The Watchman. If you are a dog person you will know exactly what is going on. If you are a cat person you will learn a lot.
Mymymble
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
One man and his dog. One cop and his K9. Neither knowing each other nor the job they're meant to do. Both suffering from violent personal loss, gunshot injuries, severe PTSD and in Scott's case oxycodone dependence.
This was much more subtle than I thought. Half way through I was: "Come on guys, get with the case!" Then they did and I realized the slowness, the dissociation, were because of their problems dealing with all the stuff above (well, fair enough, Maggie also was dealing with a dog voca
D.G.
Way to make me tear up in the prologue.

I bought Suspect just because MacLeod Andrews is the narrator. I hadn’t even remembered that I had read a previous book by this author (The Two Minute Rule) so I had no expectations besides the excellent narration. But in the prologue, we see Maggie’s POV (yes, the dog has a POV!) from the time when she lost her handler. And I was hooked.

And in love.

With the dog.

And I’m not even a dog person!

Like Maggie, Scott also lost his partner to violence and 9 months
Danny Tyran
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-have-one, thriller

I loved this Robert Crais's novel. So much that I pre-ordered his next book (The Promise), due out April 28. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I thought that because Scott is a policeman and his partner, Maggie, is a dog, it was very different from Crais' usual books, in which both partners, Cole and Pike are humans, with Cole being private detective and Pike, his long-time friend, always ready to assist in his investigations or when things go wrong.

But Scott is on paid leave, since he was shot
Robert
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
SUSPECT had all the makings of a good novel, at least on paper anyway: well-rounded characters, intriguing plot, subplots, and interesting twists along the way. But I can’t help but think it was like kissing your sister. Sure, you can grin and bear it and hold back the gag reflex and then immediately drink a bottle of Scope, but there’s no spark, no flare. The moment ends and then you end up racing off in the other direction and having nightmares for weeks.

Maggie certainly had plenty of chutzpah
Anna Erishkigal
When was the last time you read a book that made you choke up and cry in the first chapter? I was recommended this book by a fellow dog lover and I just love-love-love Maggie, and the fact some of the chapters are written from her point-of-view. Gives a realistic depiction of PTSD. This is a great thriller that you'll have a hard time putting down.
Sharon Michael
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Excellent portrayal of PTSD in both men and dogs and a realistic and compassionate view of the emotional attachment between the working partners. This is going to be one that I re-read.
Cathy DuPont
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, I did start this book about six weeks or more ago but only got through the first chapter when a library book called or something. New books have only two weeks, so I had to get those behind me. That's my lame excuse for starting this one, then putting it down. That and then just forgetting.

Robert Crais is one of my favorite writers living today. Now I can say that I've read everything he's written.

Editorial Comment - Characters in Series
This is a stand-alone and let me say up front, that

• The Boyfriend (Jack Till, #2)
  • Ghostman (Jack White #1)
  • Breaking Point (Joe Pickett, #13)
  • Little Elvises (Junior Bender, #2)
  • Airtight
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Criminal Enterprise (Stevens & Windermere, #2)
  • Silken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #23)
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck, #10)
  • Creole Belle (Dave Robicheaux, #19)
  • The Rage
  • The Famous and the Dead (Charlie Hood, #6)
  • The Ranger (Quinn Colson, #1)
  • The Survivor
  • The Sound and the Furry (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #6)
  • Hit Me (Keller, #5)
Robert Crais is the author of the best-selling Elvis Cole novels. A native of Louisiana, he grew up on the banks of the Mississippi River in a blue collar family of oil refinery workers and police officers. He purchased a secondhand paperback of Raymond Chandler’s The Little Sister when he was fifteen, which inspired his lifelong love of writing, Los Angeles, and the literature of crime fiction. ...more

Scott James & Maggie (2 books)
  • The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie, #2)
“Talk to her, goddamnit. She ain't a stick of furniture. She is one of God's creatures, and she will hear you. I see these goddamned people walkin' dogs, yakking on their phones, makes me wanna kick their sissy asses. What they got a dog for, they want to talk on their phones? That dog there will understand you, Officer James. She will understand what's in your heart. Am I just shouting at the grass and dog shit out here, or are you reading what I am telling you?” 14 likes
“A dog could see your heart in your eyes, Budress told him, and dogs were drawn to our hearts.” 10 likes