Start by marking “The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  162,746 Ratings  ·  20,630 Reviews
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges fro
Published September 18th 2012 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.

Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the…moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)

Emily May
Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
Zoë
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread in 2017:
I loved it so much more the second time! Every character was unique and fleshed out and I fell in love with them all! Well, most of them. Can't wait to pick up The Dream Thieves!

Book 34/100 of 2015:
I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, halfway
Natalie
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
“She wasn’t interested in telling other people’s futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

I went into this book expecting to hate it, but I was truly surprised by it— right from page 1.
I read the prologue before I went to bed and I had to convince myself to put it down because I knew if I wouldn’t, I’d be extremely sleep deprived the next morning. It was so good.
And it was constantly on my mind the next morning, I kept thinking about that fat
Wendy Darling
On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilling
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, young-adult
OK. SO THIS BOOK WAS PRETTY GREAT.

The book was very slow-moving for the first half or so, but I always found myself drawn in by the beautiful writing and the fabulous characters. This story is first and foremost about the characters, and I completely adored the friendship between the boys, and between Blue and the boys later on. Going into this, I thought it was going to be told solely from Blue's POV, and I am so glad that it wasn't. Getting to know the boys before they got to know Blue was a r
Riley
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Easily the best book I've read all year.

I've never read a book before where I love every single character equally.
Blue: she is everything i aspire to be and i just want to be bffs with her
Gansey: yes plz
Ronan: he's so scary and angry but you just know he secretly loves to watch cute cat videos
Adam: he must be wrapped in a warm blanket and protected at all costs
Noah: my precious cinnamon bun
Jessica Edwards
4 Stars!
What an enjoyable read this was.

Blue, a teenage girl lives in a house full of psychic aunts and her mother. Ever since Blue was little, she was told that her true love will die if she kisses him. (That's one way to scare a little child...shit)
Blue goes to church with her Aunt Neeve on St. Mark's Eve, which is when the spirits of those who will die in the next twelve months come through. (Nice....)
Blue has no psychic ability, but she sees the spirit of a boy named Gansey. Aunt Neeve tells
Katerina
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, favorites
“You're looking for a god. Didn't you suspect that there was also a devil?”

Instant new favorite!!

Psychics. Ghosts. Spirits. Sleeping kings. Legends. Enchanted forests. And a cursed romance. Maggie Stiefvater is an artist, ladies and gentlemen!

“Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.”

I was spellbound by this hauntingly beautiful paranormal tale since that very first sentence. Maggie Stiefvater narrates the story of how Blue Sargent met
Lola  Reviewer
The only character I like is Ronan. Which is... very ironic.

It might be time for Maggie Stiefvater and I to part ways.

Truly, there's nothing actually ''wrong'' with her style; it simply does not appeal to me. But this is the kind of story that I feel would be read in a better way if written in the 1st person point of view instead of 3rd. There is this possibility to feel connected to the protagonists... but a slim and invisible barrier seems to continuously block that connection. Even for Ronan.
emma
i finally posted this review on my blog! and yet The Dream Thieves doesn't even get a rating yet. ignore my glaring faults and find it here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...
----------------------

THIS BOOK IS MIRACULOUS.

There are psychics and ghosts and very human characters and boys in private-school uniforms and ravens and magical places and sentient trees. There’s magic and a badass girl and my new favorite boy and Latin and a refurbished warehouse that makes for a very scholar-cute ap
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A TV SHOW! A TV SHOW! - It's going to be directed by Catherine Hardwick, the woman who directed Twilight and Red Riding Hood. I know some of you think she may not be the best choice but I think she's perfect. She has a talent for mystery and magic, and if you aren't convinced you should watch Eyewitness, which is a fantastic and highly underrated TV show. Catherine directed a couple of episodes. Also, Maggie Stiefvater will be a producer for the show, which (hopefully) means that they won't stra ...more
Maxwell
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2015
Do I need to even explain myself? No? Well, I will anyway.

This book has it all:

The best characters.
Maggie (I feel like we're on a first name basis) doesn't neglect developing any of the characters. Whether they show up for one scene or are a main character, they are real, fleshed-out people. I have a hard time believing Blue and the Raven Boys aren't walking around somewhere in Virginia right now on their search.

Perfect writing.
It's almost frightening how accurately the writing fits the mood of
Steph Sinclair
Sep 29, 2013 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steph by: Paul, Ameriie, Wendy Darling and a bunch of other people.
I'm finally submitting to peer pressure.
Clau R.
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todo el libro me gustó muchísimo... con excepción de los últimos capítulos. Me confundieron bastante, pero no sólo eso... el "conflicto final" no me emocionó nada, lo sentí flojo.

PERO en sí me gustaron bastante los personajes y claro que seguiré leyendo la saga. La historia me parece original y muy mística, tiene ese aire mágico que me encanta leer.
Justin
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday I walked into my library's Young Adult section which is inside its own special Young Adult room. There were all these kids hanging out playing video games when this bearded 31 year old man walked into the room. He was a man on a mission, a mission to quickly identify the YA Series section, track down the YA SER RAV label on the spine of The Raven Boys, and get the heck outta that room before anyone knew I (I mean he) was there.

Mission accomplished.

Then I walked around the library loo
Petrik
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Raven Boys turns out to be more interesting that I thought it would be.

I was reluctant to start this series, not only that most of the hyped YA series always disappointed me, this one also seems like a book written specifically for girls. Don’t kill me SJW, here’s the fact and statistic. If I go to the front page of Raven Boys, out of my friend list (right now around 600), 200 of them has read and rated it. Out of those 200, only 13 of them consists of male. Yes, 13 out of 200 AND this is only b
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

Really really liked this!
Mitch
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-favorites
Up until the very end, I was so sure The Raven Boys would be making an appearance on my top favorites list. Maggie Stiefvater’s latest book has everything I want from a great reading experience, a complex narrative, an intriguing and highly developed cast of characters, an utterly haunting style of writing that just blew me away from the first sentence recounting a dire prophecy. Sadly, my enthusiasm dampened somewhat once I sensed Stiefvater was trying a bit too hard to set up a new series, lea ...more
l a i n e y
Review with my funny face? http://youtu.be/mZyzt0qw7tg

I enjoyed the hell out of this book. At one point, and I shit you not, I literally yelled "FUN!". Don't worry I was in my bedroom so no side eye whatsoever.

I was simply enthralled.

I've seen people said so and so is an 'atmospheric book' and I have never truly understood what they meant before. Until i picked this up. The Raven Boys was the definition of ambien and mystery . And I was simply lost to hours of intensely joyful read.

I got so inv
Navessa

This book is why I give authors second, third, and sometimes even fourth chances (*cough* Colleen Hoover *cough*). Because while I might not enjoy one book they wrote, I like to think that doesn't mean I'll hate everything they publish.

Take Stiefvater. I tried to read Shiver a while back, and my review for it is literally just this gif:

This book is also why I believe in mood reading. I picked it up a while ago and got about 50 pages in before setting it aside. The opening is...not strong. I me
Ben Alderson
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RE READ THIS BOOK AND OMG YES!
LOVED IT A SECOND TIME ROUND
Ashwood
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is in my top favorites list. Kinda wished I would've read it sooner because it had the perfect blend of magic, friendship, bad guys that should be either shot or kicked in a hole somewhere remote, unforgettable characters (main characters or not) and a awesome story plot, that didn't get off track. My absolute favorite character, even though he wasn't the main male character, is Ronan Lynch. It was love at first sarcastic comment.
Really can't wait to read the rest of this series and ho
Cait (Paper Fury)
SO THIS IS A RE-READ BECAUSE I'M 100000% OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK. But I'm also an idiot and lost my original review. Let me cryyyyy. I desperately wanted to compare my then and now thoughts. AGHHH, CAIT. FIRE YOUR STUPID BRAIN. I'll just blame it on the fact that I am too insanely besotted with this book to be thinking clearly. #legit

Okay so....hm...how do I put it? MAGGIE STIEFVATER IS MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR OF EVER. It's hard to explain all the reasons why, but her writing always just MESHES with
Ryan
4.5/5 stars

"Fortunate is the soul who finds the king and is brave enough to call him to wakefulness, for the king will grant him a favour, as wondrous as can be imagined by a mortal man."

(Maybe mild spoilers? Take heed, my friends.)

description

Let me get this out of the way: I'm not even going to pretend that this is a review. This is a long, fangirly, incoherent mess of my thoughts, that may contain minor spoilers. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Dear Raven Boys:

The Raven Boys has been on my TBR for a very
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
“My words are unerring tools of destruction,
and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”

I've never reviewed any of these books, but I'm going to attempt today. Here goes nothing.

This is not a recommendation. Go ahead, read it if you want to read it. This series is definitely not for everyone, so I won't hold it against you if you ended up despising it. I have read these books multiple times already and will continue in the future. Since this is a character driven book I'll go
Kassidy
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Beautifully written, the characters are wonderful!
I just wish it didn't take me so long to read it.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads

Urban Fantasy is a hugely popular genre, both adult and YA versions.

The majority of the world's inhabiting such books are as different, as other, as any of the worlds in a traditional fantasy, just more . . . modern.

There are cars and gas stations, cell phones, fast food chains . . . An infinite number of familiar things, yet, for various reasons, these alternate realities are still alien.

Occasionally, you find one that isn't.

The author so vividly captures the world in which you live
Lala BooksandLala
This is favourite series of all time. I can't even write a review about it, I would just end up copying the entire novel down verbatim and saying, "This is my favourite part. And this part. And that part. And that quote and these characters and all of it and everything forever and always."
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

4.5 stars, one stunned face, one hundred facepalms, a dozen OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WROTE IT THEN AND I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE, one brilliant book.

"Ronan said, "I'm always straight."
Adam replied, "Oh, man, that's the biggest lie you've ever told."

Truth be told, I wasn't fully immerged in The Raven Boys when I first read it, and it took Ronan's amazingness in The Dream Thieves to make me fall in love with these boys and their strange quest.

Honestly, I didn't even want to give another chanc
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • Carnival of Secrets (Untamed City, #1)
  • The Strange Maid (The United States of Asgard, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone, #1)
  • Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1)
  • Rotters
  • The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

“My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
1681 likes
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.” 1172 likes