Start by marking “The Legacy of Pope John Paul II: The Central Teaching of His 14 Encyclical Letters” as Want to Read:

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Popes are the Church's chief shepherds. While some focused on governing the Church and addressing challenges from the world, others recognized their primary responsibility to proclaim and teach the Gospel. Author Alan Schreck calls these the "teaching popes" and John Paul II was such a pope, leading the Church and impacting the world with his witness and his teaching. The ...more
Published July 16th 2012 by Emmaus Road Publishing (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy of Pope John Paul II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy of Pope John Paul II

Nancy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

As a First Reads winner, I received this book for free.

A wonderful resource for anyone wishing to acquaint themselves with the 14 Encyclical letters of Pope John II. In very concise form, each letter is examined for its main teaching points and presented in an easy to understand manner. At the end of each summary there is a list of questions for personal or group reflection.

This is a great introduction to the much more complex Encyclicals. Although a short book, I would say it is not a quick re
Stuart
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a convert to Catholicism from the Southern Baptist denomination in 2003, I felt like I missed out on some of the Catholic experience that peers my age had. With Blessed John Paul II's death in 2005, I only really got two years to experience his life and teachings. I vaguely recall an encyclical, Ecclesia de Eucharista, being released shortly after I was confirmed into the Church. I didn't realize it at the time, but this would be the last of his fourteen encyclicals.

The reason I bring this up
Andd Becker
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Schreck comments on important teachings of Blessed Pope John Paul II, as set forth in the 14 encyclical letters spanning 1979 to 2003.
In his suggestions for further reading, the author lists the 3rd, 7th, and 9th encyclicals along with other works. But the editor points out in Editor's Note that the reader might want to read all of the encyclicals. The editor suggests studying the encyclicals thematically rather than chronologically.
In each chapter, the author gives commentary explaining
Alecia