Start by marking “The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)” as Want to Read:
The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)

The Puzzling World of Winston Breen

(The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)

Published September 20th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2007)

Ruhama
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Winston loves puzzles--solving them and creating them. As far back as he can remember, he's been doing all types of puzzles. In fact, the first puzzle we receive in the book is one he made up using a scrap of wrapping paper from his sister's birthday (Berlin includes answers at the back of the book). The bulk of the story revolves around what Winston gives his sister Katie for her birthday--a unique wooden box which has a false bottom (discovered by Katie) and four puzzle pieces hidden inside. E ...more
J.D.Staton
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
As an avid puzzle lover, I enjoyed the range and variety of number, letter, word, geometric, and logic challenges incorporated throughout the book. Most were moderate to high, in terms of difficulty - more challenging than I would have expected for a YA audience. While the puzzles were quite enjoyable, the story lacked a lot, in terms of creativity and believability.

Adult siblings who have spent decades estranged from each other are very unlikely to set aside their differences for a potential $1
Pandora
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Plot: Winston buys a last minuete birthday present for his sister. The present is a fancy box. Opening the box Winston's sister discover a false bottom in which four puzzle tiles with words have been hid. Winston, a master puzzle solver, can't make anything out of the words until he discovers that other people have more of the tiles. Winston, his sister, and the others have to join forces to solve the puzzle and begin a treasure hunt for a missing ring.

A very different book. This book contains p
Diane Adams
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I needed a book that revolved around a puzzle for my reading challenge, and this was perfect. The whole story revolved around a puzzle/treasure hunt/mystery, and there were individual puzzles scattered throughout. It made me nostalgic for Encyclopedia Brown. Definitely planning to check out the sequel!
Anthony
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Move over Encyclopedia Brown there is a new detective on the block, Winston Breen puzzle genius.

Winston Breen is a 12 year old puzzle aficionado. He breathes, eats, and sleeps puzzles. He sees puzzles in the oddest places like on a piece of wrapping paper or on a pizza. Oddly enough the biggest puzzle he has ever come across is one that he did not know was there.

Winston buys a last minute birthday gift for his 10 year old sister at his favorite store, Penrose’s Curio Shop. Used to his puzzling
Mason
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I believe the book The Puzzling World of Winston Breen which is a mysterious suspense novel by Eric Berlin should be rated 4 out of 5 stars because the book was a little childish. I also believe that parts of the story are kind of ridiculous. The main character in the book is Winston he is a 12 year old that loves solving puzzles. He has never seen a puzzle that stumped him until his sister Katie’s birthday. He bought her a box and she finds a secret compartment in it. It has 4 wooden tiles in i ...more
Vismay
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book Review
The book The Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric Berlin is an okay book. I would give it a 2 star because I felt like I got a little lost/ bored. I got bored because all the author would talk about is how Winston could solve puzzles, but for some reason he got stumped on this one. This book didn't keep me entertained the whole way. I have to admit, in the first 4-5 chapters I was hooked, but after that it was an uphill battle just to open the book. It got so boring because all the
Jackie
Winston Breen loves puzzles...any and all kinds of puzzles! He loves them so much, he gives presents that require solving puzzles to find them. Unfortunately, his family does not share in his enthusiam. So, when his kid sister, Katie's birthday rolls around, he decides to merely give her a present. He finds a beautifully carved decorative box at a secondhand store to put 'girly things' into. Katie's puzzled, 'where's the puzzle?' she wants to know. Lo and behold, she finds one, even though Winst ...more
Abby Johnson
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Perfect for fans of The Westing Game or Chasing Vermeer, this mystery story is all about puzzles. Winston Breen is a young puzzle enthusiast. He's always looking for puzzles in the world around him and exchanging puzzles with his friends. So when he gives his sister Katie a wooden box for her birthday and she finds four wooden sticks with random words on them hidden in the box's false bottom, everyone has a hard time believing that Winston didn't leave that puzzle there for her. The fact is, he ...more
Brandon O'Neill
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youthlit
This is a summer read I didn't think I'd like too much since it involves puzzles (word, number, what have you) and I'm not a big puzzling fan. I don't even like Wheel of Fortune. I'm more of a Jeopardy! trivia type guy. There are kids who will and do love this and this book is for them! A mystery, which is full of puzzles to work out (all the answers are provided in the back, so you can read it straight through or pause for a while and work in the puzzles). The sequel is out and is on order.
Erica Handley
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
One of my favorite video games is Professor Layton and the Curious Village. I haven't found any other game like that and I was so happy when I discovered these books. They remind me a lot of games in the fact that you are on a discovery while you solve puzzles. The book is great even if you do not solve the puzzles but the puzzles give you a little extra twist. There are not very many books like this and it is a great addition to the juvenile fiction genre.
Stephanie
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love puzzles and mysteries! Some of my favorite books are Encyclopedia Brown (the OLD ones are the best!), Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys.... and now Winston Breen. I didn't realize this was a series until I just added this to my read shelf. I'll be looking for the other two soon and can't wait.
Kesha
Tremendously engaging young adult mystery that contains quirkiness that keeps you turning the pages.
Kiera
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I personally really enjoyed this book. I seen a few reviews calling it childish but I don't think you understand. This is a CHILDRENS/MIDDLE GRADE novel. What did you expect?
I only skipped one puzzle (The one with the famous Americans) as I am Canadian, so I didn't know any of the answers. I like how you can print out the puzzles so you don't have to write in your book. For some of the wooden strip puzzles, I cut them out from the printable, so I could rearrange them. I've never read a book like
H
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amber
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book!

It reminds me of "Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library" by Chris Grabenstein and "The Book Scavenger" by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman.

I loved the plot and characters... the only thing preventing it from being 5 stars is the fact that most of the puzzles seemed too hard... there is an answer key in the back, though!
Andreas
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this book was great. It was a nice story. The only thing I still feel eating at me was how David North and Micky's personalities were so bland. I liked how the book was sprinkled with puzzles and how it was going back in forth with its puzzles. I suggest for this to be 4th grade and over. Since in a part it says "You Horse" and then it had one bad word they are mature enough to skip it.
Jenna
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun, easy read, which brought me back to my days of making puzzles for my friends. I loved solving all the little problems myself, too.
Monkey
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I thought I knew how it would end, but I couldn’t be more wrong!! Five stars! Recommend for anyone who likes solving puzzles and mysteries!!
Catherine Smith
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Similar to the Mysterious Benedict Society. I read this in fifth grade for a reading group, and when I found it I thought about all the puzzles we were challenged to do at that time.
Brenda
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute series! Looking forward to the rest of the books!
Erin
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun, great puzzles!
Mahad
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good puzzles, makes you think the opposite of whats going to happen.
Barb G
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: andrew
Fun book to read . 3.5 ⭐ ...more
Kaia
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Along with being an exciting mystery, my son enjoyed completing the extra puzzles found throughout the story.
Beth
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good kids' book.
Mrs. Fisher
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Winston Breen finds puzzles everywhere, even on pizzas, and solving them is what he does best. But when his sister uncovers mysterious wooden strips with words and letters that even Winston can't figure out, the entire family is obsessed. It turns out the strips are part of a scavenger hunt that a town patriarch set up for his children. If all four sets are put together, they will lead to a ring worth thousands of dollars.

Cooperating seems like a no-brainer to Winston, but to solve the puzzle, t
Shelley Thompson
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
An almost-perfect chapter book for kids in 3rd-7th grade. The title character is amusing and has the usual issues...an annoying sister, following directions at home, and hanging out with fun pals. He also has an insatiable urge and ability to solve puzzles. Each chapter has actual puzzles that the reader can solve as well, with answers provided in the back of the book. In this first book of three, The Puzzling World of Winston Breen, Winston finds himself in a group of adults trying to find a tr ...more
Holly Underwood
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read and chock full of a variety of puzzles.
Aiden Lippert
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aiden Lippert
Mrs. Wosika
Period 3
2/28/2016
The Puzzling World of Winston Breen
“Give me a puzzle to solve. Let me see if I can solve it.”-Eric Berlin. Eric Berlin is the author of the book The Puzzling World of Winston Breen. The Puzzling World of Winston Breen is a mystery genre and adventure genre because no one knows what the puzzle is until the end of the book. It is an adventurous book because Winston Breen is going all around town to figure out new clues to get closer and closer to figuring
Deadlines... 1 8 Nov 17, 2011 12:16PM
  • The Gollywhopper Games
  • The Ring of Rocamadour (The Red Blazer Girls, #1)
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • Masterpiece
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • Bobby the Brave (Sometimes)
  • The 100-Year-Old Secret (The Sherlock Files #1)
  • The Aurora County All-Stars
  • Punished!
  • Captain Nobody
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation (Charlie Joe Jackson, #3)
  • Border Crossing
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • One of the Survivors
  • The Calder Game (Chasing Vermeer, #3)

The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (3 books)
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
  • The Puzzler's Mansion (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #3)
“Give me a puzzle to solve. Let me see if I can solve it.” 2 likes
“Winston Breen was solving a puzzle, but then Winston Breen was always solving a puzzle.” 0 likes