Start by marking “The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones” as Want to Read:
The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones

The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones

On her thirteenth birthday, Blue makes a desperate wish. To be transformed into a cool, confident teenager. Enter Red, appearing from nowhere like a wacky fairy godmother. She's only visible to Blue - in fact, she IS Blue, but a year older. With Red by her side to guide her, Blue can avoid all the gruesome embarrassments! But her future self causes a heap of crazy trouble ...more
Published August 2nd 2012 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones, please sign up.
Ella
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

There are some books that come in and completely steal your heart. The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones by Susie Day is such a book for me. It's not a very thick book, it didn't take me long to read it. But boy, will this book stay with me.

Right from the very first page as we are introduced to Bluebell Jones, I was immediately drawn into the story. It's Bluebell's 13th birthday, and she's rushing through a fairground, holding her
Emma
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Cerys 8:3
The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones (Susie Day) is a fabulous book about the twists and turns of teenage life, and how much we really do have. In this jam-packed book, Blue, accidently summons her 14 year old self, Red, back from the future! Red is everything Blue wanted to be, cool, popular, and she even has a road map of the year! But Red has her own secrets, ones that she won’t even share with herself…
My favourite character is Merlin, with his huge top hat, and my favo
Serendipity Reviews
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have never ready a book by Susie Day before and I now feel I should kick myself over it. I feel like I am really late to a great party!
Susie Day is a very descriptive writer who captures the feel of the Great British seaside vacation with clarity and nostalgia. I felt like my senses had been taken hostage, as I drooled at the imaginary smell of fish and chips on the beach and longed for a donut. I could visualise every part of the story with my senses kicking into over drive.
The book begins w
Lancashire Lass
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bluebell Jones makes a thirteenth birthday wish that conjures up her 14-year-old self, and life will never be the same again!
Red seems to be everything that Blue isn't and longs to be, so with her very own expert to guide her into becoming her new, cool teenage self, the summer hols at the seaside town of Penkerry are definitely looking up... or ARE they?!

The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones is an absolutely absorbing, beautifully funny read. The characters - from Blue's gorgeous older siste
Kirsty

Title: The twice-lived summer of Bluebell Jones

Author: Susie Day

Genre: Friendship/Romance/Slice of Life

Rating: *****

Review:The Twice Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones is a short book and it didn’t take me long to read it – but it certainly made an impact on me! I loved everything about the book. The characters, the writing, the story line, and the ENDING!

Bluebell was a lovely character. She was kind and quite insecure, and very likeable as a main character and narrator. Red was…a strange
Karen
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: includes-review, 2017
A poignant YA-cusp novel that starts simply but becomes absolutely captivating. Blue speaks to all of us - and not just our teenage selves - who wish we could, overnight, transform into the confident, sassy, gorgeous people we want to be.
Bookmuseuk
Book of the month? No. Book of the year, more like.

This wonderful book should be read by parents and children alike. It offers a true to life description of teen angst that stirs memories for older readers, and gives younger readers comfort in knowing others feel as they do.

The characterisations are pitch-perfect: the magnificent Bluebell, a convincing teenager; Tiger her lesbian sister portrayed deftly and sympathetically, and the open minded parents who are so accepting of the vagaries of life
Mai
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. What a great book. I just finish reading the book and I was just into the story for about few minutes. This book really made me cheer Bluebelle a lot. She is such a nice person. I loved when Blue and Merlin fall in love. They were both struggling and trying to make things work. When Blue and Fozzie fought, they just reminded me of my sister and I fighting.

The ending of this book was just so sad and it almost made me cry! I was really expecting Blue to figure something out so that sh
Anita
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
i wanted a quick easy read and this happened to be in my library. I listened to the audio book and thought the narrator sounded like she was trying to be 8 years old, but it was cute and I would have loved it when i was around 12.i think I'm a bit too old to appreciate it completely though.
Blue is on holiday with her family in Wales on her 13th birthday and it's not going as planned. She wishes she had a clearer grasp of teenage life and that's when her 14 year old selfs appears. She's cool and
Kimberly
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jean Leong
Just, like. WOW.

I don't even know where to start. I've been pushing off reviewing for quite some time now, and some books have already faded away in my mind, but this one is just like still clearly etched into my mind.

I personally thought this was going to be some middle-school novel, but it turned out to have such deep, almost bending towards dark themes? Bluebell and Red - the whole back to the past, and THE FREAKING TWIST AT THE END.

Be still my heart.
It was the kind of book where you fini
Ann
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-fiction
It's difficult turning thirteen. When Blue wishes her fourteen-year-old self back from the future as a guide to becoming a cool, confident teenager, life definitely turns weird! Her future self encourages her to expand her horizons and soon Blue has made some good friends. But Red is not telling the biggest secret af all.
I so loved this book. Although a very quick read, the characters are ones you could really care about. Susie Day has become one of my favourite young teen authors.
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I think the writing is excellent, and overall the characters are fun and interesting. Bluebell does spend quite a bit of time getting into a strop with her future self and stomping off, but when she's not doing that I really liked her. I was a bit disappointed with the ending, although there are a lot of positive messages to take from the story.
Edvina Swift
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO FREAKING GOOD. I honestly love this book!! It's so cool, fun, cute but oh my god the ending :( I'd kind of figured it out already but it was still sad.
I wish this book was more known, since it's perfect for 13 year olds. I'm going to give a copy of this book when my sister turns 13. Very glad I read this! I actually found this in Scotland at a highlands games for like £1.
Kyle Mahaney
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful upbeat coming of age story that is nice, light, and enjoyable....
WAIT WHAT IS THAT ENDING? The ending, in the last 15minutes of the audiobook, completely guts you emotionally with an element you never foresaw but perfectly clicking into everything setup earlier. Wow. Not what I expected.
Izzy
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The twice lived summer of bluebell jones was an enjoyable easy read kind of about discovering yourself and going about the concept of wanting to change the things you've done, or some cases haven't done. The ending was so sad... It came like ripping of a plaster, sharp and sudden.
Matilda Reynolds
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Samantha.vanderoord
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
its an awesome book but also explains to much but such worth of time
Arianne
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Solid MG/lower YA. Liked it.
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short but sweet, with INCIDENTALLY QUEER CHARACTERS and a wham ending.
Millie
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rachel Verna
I wrote a review on my blog.
Ashley
I can't stop thinking about this book more than five months later. Absolutely amazing. A gentle story, but not for sensitive souls, really.
Freya Elliott
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's what I would call a summer read all though admittedly I did read it in March. I thourughly (sorry I can't spell) enjoyed it, beautifuly written by someone with a fantastic imagination
Tara
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Cloud Chamber
  • Freak Magnet
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • The Theory of Everything
  • The Downside of Being Charlie
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)
  • Mishaps
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
  • Antsy Does Time (Antsy Bonano, #2)
  • What Comes After
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • The Pull of Gravity