Start by marking “The Spectacular” as Want to Read:
The Spectacular

The Spectacular

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
From the same fictional world as his forthcoming novel Hawthorn & Child, Keith Ridgway gives us a self-contained story about the danger of stories. A novelist that no one reads, Clive Drayton has decided to set aside literary fiction and write a bestseller. Easy, right? But there are choices to be made. What sort of story should it be? A thriller, of course. About a co ...more
Published June 11th 2012 by Granta Books

To ask other readers questions about The Spectacular, please sign up.
Sue Bridgwater I don't know how you're fixed for Indie bookshops, but my local one will always go to great lengths to get anything, including POD items. I never…moreI don't know how you're fixed for Indie bookshops, but my local one will always go to great lengths to get anything, including POD items. I never resort either to chain bookshops or online until I've tried that. It may mean a short wait, but they rarely fail me.(less)

Aaron (Typographical Era)
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Keith Ridgway returns to the wonderfully perplexing universe of Hawthorn and Child with his newest offering, The Spectacular: An Olympic Event.

The novels of Clive Drayton are critically acclaimed by the press and overwhelmingly ignored by mainstream readers. His lack of commercial success, coupled with his recent falling out with his wife has left him in dire financial straits. He’s moved into his own apartment and he’s ready to write his next book. Challenged by his agent’s claim that he couldn
Blair
A very short story which is nevertheless brilliant. I bought this because I really want Hawthorn & Child and can't really afford it at the moment, but my idea has kind of backfired, as I enjoyed The Spectacular so much that I now want to read the full-length book about ten times more than I did before! I loved everything about this - the premise, the style, the humour. Excellent.
Andy Weston
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Its almost impossible to review this and not give away any of the story. It is such a short novel that each part of the story is key. Suffice to say, it's about a novelist trying to write his tour de force. That's enough. All I can say is read it. It will take you less than an hour and is fantastic entertainment.

As with Hawthorn and Child, Ridgway writes with that black humour that is becoming his hallmark, and makes you chuckle away at the most inappropriate time.

Highly recommended.
Gary Lyons
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice little surprise at the end of my kindle edition of "Hawthorn and Child".

Ridgway's short story on the dangers of story writing and being too involved in your work.

Carolyn
Feb 17, 2013
Mark Bennett
Feb 18, 2018
Lori
rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2014