Start by marking “Honk If You Are Jesus” as Want to Read:
Honk If You Are Jesus

Honk If You Are Jesus

From the pen of Peter Goldsworthy - a modern champion of the lost art of storytelling - comes Honk If You Are Jesus, a bestselling novel that resists categorisation, and explodes expectations. Keep your hand on the horn during this startling comic fiction.
Published 1992 by Angus and Robertson

To ask other readers questions about Honk If You Are Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honk If You Are Jesus

David Finch-Quadrio
Reads like a bad airport novel
Margie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking. It took me straight to Bond University campus.
Brian SIdlo
A provocative 1992 novel about cloning and the intersection of science and religion.
Alison Quigley
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter's done a great job at presenting thought-provoking topics in wry-humoured packaging. While the topics covered - genetic engineering and artificial insemination - aren't ones that I actively seek out, in this instance their complexities are presented in such a cute way that I couldn't resist. I loved the cynical narrator and her isolationist tendencies; it made a pleasant change from the usual way female narrators are represented in fiction. As the story rolls along the ironies mount up, un ...more
Booksy
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
A wonderful short novel from a short story master (his collection of short stories "Gravel" left me in a thoughtful mood for days and days after I finished reading it).
Quirky, sometimes acerbic, most of the times, good-hearted Australian humour - a mixture of science fiction (or, is it "speculative fiction" I seem to be forever confused now about this genre, after Margaret Atwood launched a debate in this topic of genres), medical thriller and a bit of love story (this bit was mostly unsatisfyi
Debra Tidball
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, easy and enjoyable read - I finished it the day I bought it. The premise of this story about a church leader's involvement in genetic engineering is absorbing, and the setting is delightfully absurd - where else in Australia but the Gold Coast would you find a Biblically inspired theme park, complete with the ability to walk on water? Hilarious and perfectly apt! Whilst I found it hard to warm to most of the characters (perhaps that's the way it is in these high-end scientific ...more
Karen Hunt
Peter Goldsworthy did a Meet the Author in the Barossa (hence the rush on his books). Another thought provoking book that was quite ahead of its time when written. About an obstetrician who does research into infertility. Without realising, she has been used to be part of a plan to ‘resurrect’ Jesus using 2000 year old genes! A good read.
Vivienne
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book mean spirited in tone and character. I didn't like any of the characters in it and though the subject matter could have been funny it was just nasty, not to mention far fetched. If it had been funny it would have felt more believable.
余馨
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What could have been a fun idea in the hands of Tom Robbins, couldn't pique my interest. Having heard a bit about this author I was disappointed. Unexpected writing style. Unexpectedly not published by Mills and Boon. Not enough euphemisticly worded sex scenes for them, I suppose.
Jane
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-2016
Entertaining, easy to read story.
It projects into 'the future' a combination of the excesses of evangelical christianity and genetic engineering.
Seems a bit dated now and the characters are a bit two dimensional but it is a fun read.
Roslyn
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny tale of genetic engineering and religion. Good for a laugh, but with some interesting ideas to ponder.
John Sheahan
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an absolute hoot. But, I was teaching in a Catholic High School at the time and it never actually made it into the classroom. Pity.
Ryan Paine
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honk If You Are Jesus by Peter Goldsworthy (1995)
Murray Gunn
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Well written for easy reading, but I wanted more on the conflict at the end. I felt that the last 20% of the book should have been the focus for 80% and the leading 80% could be cut down to 20%.
Sue
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking. Maybe not so much now in 2012, but when read a long time ago it sucked me in.
Sharon
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this book because it was part of the year 11 english requirement for my daughter. Absolute rubbish and not quite sure how it fits with EDUQ curriculum.
David
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleanskin
A bit rough around the edges but ok. Lets face it, the title sucked me in
L.M. Vincent
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-crafted and well-written charmer of a book, a "proximate" ski-fi and (gentle) medical thriller, with a marvelous premise and satisfying outcome, by one of Australia's highly respected writers.
Jill
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book and was sorely disappointed.
Lee Mavin
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is up there with the top Australian narratives of all time! I loved this book so much. Such a classic.
Ian
  • 10 Short Stories You Must Read in 2011
  • The Jesus Man
  • The Service of Clouds
  • Wake in Fright
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • Swords And Crowns And Rings
  • The Shiralee
  • Dark Places
  • Girls' Night In
  • They're a Weird Mob
Peter Goldsworthy grew up in various Australian country towns, finishing his schooling in Darwin. After graduating in medicine from the University of Adelaide in 1974, he worked for many years in alcohol and drug rehabiiltation. Since then, he has divided his time equally between writing and general practice. He has won major literary awards across a range of genres: poetry, short story, the novel ...more