Start by marking “He Speaks Dead” as Want to Read:
He Speaks Dead

He Speaks Dead

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  443 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Charlie Harrington not only speaks with the dead and sees the dead, he can give them form. Lucky for him, because the love of his life, Ethan, is dead. Charlie helps Ethan possess complete strangers so Ethan can use their bodies for sex.

Things are good between them until Charlie is accused of murder and Detective Daniel Briggs walks into his life. For the first time in yea
Published July 10th 2012 by Loose Id

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Awesome price drop to $0.99 at Amazon right now, 10/29/16!*

**4.5 stars**

I don't think I'll ever do a proper review for this because it has been a few weeks since I read it and the details are fuzzy now. Suffice it to say that this is an excellent ghost paranormal; dark, angsty, and bittersweet at times. This author had me hooked to this book and, despite my issues with how Briggs was treated, it was a huge win for me.
Vivian
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, romance-pn
Definitely makes me reevaluate my thoughts on ghost stories.

Wilder writes engaging action/thriller stories with strong relationships. The love triangle between Charlie, Ethan and Briggs is an fascinating one and the resolution--intriguing. Along the way is pain, violence, sadness and some revelations. Another entertaining read that kept me flipping the pages.

Favorite quotes:
"Love is supposed to be about sacrifice, but since I’d been with Charlie, I’d learned it was also about greed

"If it will m
Feliz
This book is written in Ethan’s first person POV – which is worth mentioning mostly because Ethan dies in the very first paragraph. Or rather, recalls his death. He can’t remember much else from his life except his last few minutes. And right afterward, the first thing he remembers is meeting Charlie as Charlie is brought back into his life by a pair of EMT’s.

Charlie is a very special person. He can’t only see dead people and speak to them, he can also make the dead corporeal, sharing his life f
Lily
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A solid 4.5 stars in my opinion. Hopefully without sounding too shallow, what drew me first to the book was its catching title and then the synopsis. I had read previous works by Adrienne Wilder so I did anticipate it would be pretty good. Still, it managed to exceed those expectations and kept me glued to my ereader until the end.

First, a few general remarks. I would describe this one as a mystery novel with romance in the background, a dash of thriller and some dark undertones. While Charlie's
dammit, liz
Read this awhile back, and it stuck with me. I am not going to write too much here, because I could honestly write full length essays on what I love about this author's books. Simply put, this is great. Wilder has a way of making you fall in love with the characters, and this is no exception. The sex scenes are so full of emotion that I could cry (okay, HAVE cried). My only complaint is not really a complaint. Briggs.. I liked him. He deserved better. Ethan feels a little selfish to me. It took ...more
Susan65
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I finished this over two weeks ago and i am still upset over the ending.

I keep reading the other reviews, and i know some loved it, but the whole unfairness factor just crushed me.

Ethan, i feel bad for you, really i do,but go into the light and give someone else a chance at life.

M'rella
Damn, Briggs!

I am not happy! :/
How can Charlie and Ethan live with themselves after all that happened, I have no idea.
This book left me mad.

===========================
SPOILERS BELOW!!!

===========================

I went through the reviews and I am glad to find out that I am not the only one who is upset about Briggs being disposable. He was treated like crap during the whole book, used and abused through its entirety (except for the first chapter, granted) (view spoiler)
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
Stopping at 63% for a break. Not DNF'ing.

It's not because I don't like it or it's bad writing. The writing is actually stellar, the plot really pulls you in, and the characters are engaging.....but, BUT I think I want Charlie with Briggs instead of Ethan....the ghost. I like Ethan but Briggs is ALIVE, dammit. I have a bad feeling and I think I need a break before I continue.
Bree Cheese
I am conflicted about the ending - seemed a bit too easy - but I'm still giving this 5 stars because it is one of the mostly uniquely written urban fantasy stories that I have read in a long time. This was a smart, sexy and angsty ride about a ghost, the man he loves and the new detective that threatens it all.
Trix
Really enjoyed it. I stayed away for some time as I wasn't sure whether I would like it. But the combination of paranormal, mystery, romance and mm kept me interested and wanting to read it in one session.

I had expected that the story would be told from Charlie's point of view. It was a pleasant surprise to see the events unfold through Ethan's eyes.(view spoiler)
Melissa
The whole time I was reading this I was thinking: how will Charlie and Ethan and Briggs end up together? I kept thinking of different scenarios, and I had my favorite idea, but that's not how it all ended up. It was a little bittersweet for me how things did end up. I won't even tell you under spoiler tags as you need to read that part for yourself.

I really enjoyed this book!! It's more like 4.25 stars for me. I loved Ethan. He was sweet, loving, comforting, and so, so jealous! :-) Charlie can s
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
AMAZING!!!!

I'm not much of a PNR reader and I don't go looking for it, but sometimes certain M/M titles that are in fact PNR find me. This is one of these and boy am I glad I read this.

Part of the reason why this book worked for me was crime/mystery to be solved. I was way into it. The other reason was who the narrator is.

There have been times in my reading adventures where I had to struggle or was sorely taxed to suspend disbelief. This highly improbable story (hey, it's fiction) was so skill
Monica Vidal
Oh man, this one truly broke my heart. *deep sighs*

It’s not sad, as in angst, but the whole life and death theme really got to me. I had never read a book before where the MC is in love with a “ghost”. And it’s not like Ethan was alive and then died and Charlie couldn’t let go. It’s not like that. Charlie sees ad talks to dead people and he fell in love with Ethan after Ethan was dead. It’s super crazy but somehow it works.

The whole book is told by Ethan’s POV, so you get to experience what is
Sunne
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started reading the sample a few weeks ago but somehow it didn't work with me that day so I stopped and read something else. Now yesterday I decided to check the sample again and either buy or delete...wups, sucked in after I had been over that point right in the beginning where I had jumped off the last time.

I got sucked in. Wow, I mean, this book could have gone wrong in soooo many ways, building of the whole ghost thing, too many explanations or making one of the three MCs too much to like
Nova
4.5 stars.

Love between a ghost and a human? This can’t be easy – and it isn’t. Even so, Ethan and Charlie are happy with what they have, until they meet Briggs. For the first time in years Charlie is attracted to someone who’s living and Ethan, who knows exactly how dangerous he can be for Charlie, has two options: Giving Charlie up or staying with him. And as if that weren’t enough, there’s another, darker problem they need to solve…

I immediately liked Ethan, who’s telling the story. His love
Susan
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
This book gave me a lot to think about. Charlie and Ethan had a pretty special relationship but it was far from perfect for obvious reasons. Briggs grew on me as the story progressed (view spoiler) The mystery was just as important to the storyline as the romance was and the pace built towards a stunning conclusion.
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
Enjoyable read. Charlie was engaging and a hero even if he doesn't think so. Ethan seemed to me to be selfish. Briggs to me seemed the most developed character.

All in all I enjoyed the story even if I didn't agree with the choices made by the characters. I do recommend it, it'll make you think.
Gwendolyn
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The ending has me going back and forth. Doesn't seem fair, but life never is.
**Kim**
**4 stars**

I really enjoyed this story. It was very unique. I’ve said it before, Wilder is a fantastic story teller.

This story was told in the first person by Ethan, who is not alive. Yet he has such strong emotions for Charlie that clearly come across. He was my favorite character.

It also seems Wilder always has a child or animal in his stories that are just so damn cute. In this book, the minor cute character James was also heartbreakingly lost. **sigh**

One can’t help but be a little sad for
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Solidly 3.5 stars. Rounding down just because it isn't a four star book for me.

This started off really sad and had a melancholy air throughout. It might have been affected by the fact that I had just read Prey and was really stressed and upset. Don't worry, though. It's all okay. The sex scenes were hot, especially the one with (view spoiler) The MCs were sweet and the world was definitely interesti
Paul
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
this is the sort of paranormal novels I love.
SheReadsALot
Jan 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
Recommended to SheReadsALot by: Bree Cheese
Ghosts? Suspense? I'm going to delve in. *gulps*
HJ
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, pnr
reread 4/2015

Even better the second time around. 4.5 stars.
B
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great paranormal love story, with good action and great plot .
Chappy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very unique story from the perspective of a ghost. The ending blew me away and I did not see that coming.

Ethan is a ghost and he doesn't remember anything about his past life except that he loves Charlie.

Charlie is a very special person. He has the ability to see ghosts, allow them to "possess" other people, and when touching, he can make them corporeal. Because of his talents, Charlie's been manipulated his whole life. Briggs is sent in to investigate some strange murders that seem to revolve
*~*~*Hyperion*~*~*
ALL THE STARS!! All the blinding, dazzling, shimmering stars!! ALL OF THEM!! If I could give this book a supernova, a Milky Way, a galaxy, a meteor shower, hell … the SUN, I would <3!!

This isn’t a review … this is a jumble of thoughts. I am going to be all over the place here, because HOLY FRIGGIN BOOK HANGOVER <3333!!! This book moved me. It moved me to tears, to happiness, to grief, to hope, to acceptance, and to joy. This book just ... MOVED me :-)!!

Adrienne Wilder. Our brilliant, gifte
Rebecca
This book is a hard one to rate.

On one hand, I really like the concepts, but on the other, I never felt connected to the characters the way I would have liked, and it felt a little unbalanced.

The novel is narrated in the first person by "Ethan," a ghost, who, like most ghosts, has almost no memories of his former life (he knows he was stabbed to death, but that's about it). He's in love with Charlie, a powerful medium, whom he's been with for almost ten years.

Charlie not only has the ability to
Nicole
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
blub
A very good read and I would recommend it for those who were a fan of Ghost Whisperer (especially if you enjoyed the 4th season of the tv drama) or even if you weren't or don't know what the show was. Although I can't say I really liked the ending for Briggs and to tell the truth throughout the whole story I was conflicted with whether or not I liked Briggs at all. The story is told from Ethan's perspective and reader's get his feelings/emotion to everything that's happening. It was hard to put ...more
Silkeeeeeereads
I can't even begin to tell you how good this book is. As a person that enjoys and is attempting to write about the paranormal, this was definitely a five star read. It was filled with love and the scary and even some mathematical, scientific jargon that I couldn't begin to retain, it made it all feel so real. The love between the two MCs and then three was literally unworldly. There is definitely an HEA but I'm not going to say between who. Read it. It's a shocking, lovely story that I'm not goi ...more
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • The Haunting of Timber Manor (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths, #1)
  • The Ghost on My Couch
  • Spirit
  • A Ghost of a Chance
  • Hell's Pawn
  • Good Bones (Bones #1)
  • Song of Oestend (Oestend #1)
  • Last Line (Last Line, #1)
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
  • Master of Ghouls (Spectr #2)
  • Liquid Glass
Georgia born and bred, I am an artist, a writer, and a general pain in the ass.
I spend most of my days working on my next book or designing cover art for other writers. For stress relief I do olympic lifting and occasionally run (but hate it). I have been in love with writing since I was very young but it wasn't until recently that I decided to pursue it as a profession.

I have experimented in se

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
  • You and Me, Always
    $14.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
“How easy it would be just to let go, to go willingly into all that wonderful energy.” 2 likes
“Love is supposed to be about sacrifice, but since I’d been with Charlie, I’d learned it was also about greed.” 1 likes