Start by marking “Vanished (David Raker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Vanished (David Raker, #3)

Vanished

(David Raker #3)

For millions of Londoners, the morning of 16 December is just like any other. But not for Sam Wren. An hour after leaving home, he gets on a Tube train - and never gets off again. No witnesses. No trace of him on security cameras. Six months later, he's still missing.

Out of options and desperate for answers, Sam's wife Julia hires David Raker to track him down.
Paperback, first, 486 pages
Published July 19th 2012 by Penquin books

To ask other readers questions about Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanished

Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The David Raker series is highly addictive and if the truth is to be known Vanished is my favourite of the books (to date, as more are to come at the time of writing this).

This time we’re dealt a different bag as we’re not only watching the story unfold from David’s perspective but we’re also viewing things through the eyes of Colm, giving us an insight into what is going on with him following on from the last story rather than it being simple word of mouth from David. At first I was
Gary
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the David Raker series by author Tim Weaver. I accidentally read this series out of order but it didn't spoil my enjoyment one bit. The character David Raker is an investigator who specialises in finding missing people.
Julia Wren approaches David Raker when her husband Sam goes missing. It appears he boarded a tube train on his way to work and simply disappeared. The police show little interest and they cannot throw any light on Sam's disappearance. Six months later
Christine
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the excellent Raker series, Vanished. Raker is on the trail of a man who has literally vanished on the tube. One day Sam Wren took the tube and he never got to his destination. He is hired by Julia, Sam's wife, to find out what happened. Raker using his various contacts, starts to work out what is going on and finds out that Sam is a man of many secrets.

I absolutely loved this book. It is such a pleasure to read a book, where you can imagine the events clearly playing
Bookread2day
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Another great novel by Tim Weaver. Vanished is totally unput downable.

Sam Wren gets on his tube on the circle line on the 17th December to go to work just like any other day. But this time Sam gets on his tube tand he does not get off.

Sam has no money with him and he has not taken any money out from his bank account since the day he disappeared.

Julia is questioned by police who Sam's friends are and relative's. Sam's tooth-brush is taken away for a DNA sample to help fin
Lynda Kelly
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Third time's the charm !! The first 2 in this series I gave 4* but this one I liked the most so it's a 5* at last for Mr Weaver. Even though he left us with an "Eastenders moment"....dum, dum, dum, right at the end ! I think if you've read the first 3 you're clearly a fan, as I am, so would be buying the 4th anyway. No doubt when I check reviews people will be bleating, however.....
Some of David's escapades in the past have left me wondering how on earth he gets out of such scrapes, let al
Rob Twinem
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"All of his novels were so fast-paced that the reader was compelled to turn the pages in a non-stop effort to reach the end of the book. The final page often produced a totally unexpected plot twist that would invariably leave even his most die-hard fans surprised. His early books contained some violence that matched the era in which they were written, though this was considerably toned down as plots centred more on circumstantial situations to create the high degree of tension that was the hall ...more
Bev Taylor
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
no life is perfect. everyone has secrets

david raker is a missing persons investigator who can read people. he is asked by julia to try and find her husband sam who just disappeared one day, for no reason. no marital problems - that she knows of - and the only monetary one is a hefty mortgage. the only clue being that he did not seem to be himself in the last few weeks

the last sighting on cctv is of sam getting on a tube train and then just disappearing - not leaving the carriage. this is 6 mon
Joanne Schofield
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Raker is back! In book no 3 he’s asked to track down a missing Londoner, Sam Wren, who sets off to work via the tube one day and never returns.

As usual with anything involving David Raker there is violence, blood, and so many twists and turns that you can’t stop reading. I really like Tim Weaver’s style of writing, and although you wouldn’t need to read the first 2 books there are returning characters in this one which do add to the story. Another great book by him.
Mary
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A fast paced who 'dunnit' which goes off in many varied tangents,making the initial premise barely unrecognisable at story's end.

A gruesome,gritty and dark read,not for the faint hearted.
Ching-Bing-Ping
21-22 October, 2014

5 stars

Tim Weaver is a name I had never heard before, but now that I have finished reading VANISHED its hard to make his name vanish from my mind, because he weaves great tales of crime and he writes then in a way which makes them fast and entertaining. David Raker, a London based P.I. specialising in finding missing person takes up a case where he is asked to find a missing husband.

The basic plot wasn’t anything new, but the writing style, the suspens
Talei Loto
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
SPOILER ALERT: Do not read further, if you have not read the book and want to be 'surprised.'

In a nutshell. Enjoyed the setting - could pinpoint places in London, which I liked. My only criticism on the setting, is that working in the city, you have security guards so you can't just waltz into buildings as this story alluded to several times.

On the characters and plot - I felt there was one too many characters in the story and I didn't have time to really empathise with a
June
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of this author,but picked up Vanished in the supermarket and will certainly be looking for more of his books.Its a crime novel with a difference that keeps you guessing until the very end.Loved it.
Farshana
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vr-lib
This book is really not for the fainthearted, its tough and gritty with hard to bear details about the torture that humans can inflict upon other poor souls. Vanished is the story of how Sam Wren vanishes without a trace after boarding a Tube train to work. 3rd book in the David Raker series which I'm beginning in the middle like always but it didn't spoil the thriller in any way except for maybe the background info about the past case where Healy, the detective from MET is also involved. The en ...more
Raven
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Despite having already published two highly successful crime novels ‘Chasing The Dead’ and ‘The Dead Tracks’ featuring missing persons investigator, David Raker, this was my first foray into Weaver’s world and found this a well-crafted and dark psychological thriller. Although I was playing catch-up character-wise, Weaver’s exemplery and unintrusive insertion of back story made sure I was more than up to speed with Raker’s background and the causes of his uneasy relationship with the emotionally ...more
Chris
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
It started off promisingly. I thought it was going to be different from "police investigation" crime, but a quarter of the way through, that's what it became. To me, it confused what it started out as and i felt the book didn't know what it was supposed to be.
Debbie Cleaveley
This started promisingly but lost any realistic plot about halfway through. I finished it more out of curiosity rather than compulsion. I’ve not read any of the other volumes in this series and based upon this book, can’t imagine that I will.
Wendy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
In “Vanished” the thrilling and gripping third novel in the “David Raker” series, the intrepid investigator has been hired by Julia Wren to find her husband Sam who’s been missing for six months after taking the Underground Subway one morning and never getting off. Sam having taken no cash or clothes, and his movement not recorded on the subway’s cameras, Raker has few clues to go on. Yet as he interviews family, friends and work colleagues he begins to uncover a very troubled and secretive man ...more
Linda Lpp
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book ended much too soon. Packed with action, mystery, tension ongoing between police and Raker. Old heartbreaks were opened up once again There were scenes that would take your breath away. What is going to be the outcome here? As time passes, will there be enough time to.....
Excellent read.
Mark Doherty
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I can see why my friend holds this author in such high esteem. I must admit I did not like the first in the series chasing the dead. However the follow up the dead tracks was a huge improvement. This book Vanished had a confusing ending. I am sure it will make sense in the follow up Never Coming Back. I will most likely read more of Raker in the future. I still prefer Harlan Coben to Tim Weaver. Nevertheless I am starting to like Weaver more and more.
laura melbourne
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book
Lou
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
This one had a copuple of slow spots for me in the first third of the book, but then it really kicked into gear. Other than some of the annoying banter between two sour cops and Healy/Raker, I really enjoyed the 3rd novel in this series.
Marleen
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
David Raker has made a career finding the lost. A former journalist, he has spent the past four years finding the missing for those who want them back.
When he is first approached by Julia Wren and asked to find her husband the case doesn’t appear too complicated. Sam Wren took the tube train into work on the morning of December 17th and was never seen again. But, as Raker knows, the tube has cameras everywhere so discovering where Wren went shouldn’t be too hard. Except that watching the s
Debbi Barton
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His Best So Far

The pace really picked up towards the end, so many twists and turns and the ending, got to get his next book
Sid Nuncius
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is, for most of the book, a well-written, well plotted and gripping thriller centering on a private missing persons enquiry and a police investigation into multiple disappearances and possible murders. I found the central character a believable and engaging narrator and much of the story engrossing. In particular, the early parts of the book are excellent with slow, meticulous research revealing tantalising and interesting clues about the disappearance. There are also some rather good chara ...more
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
An hour after leaving home Sam Wren gets on a tube train and never gets off again, no witnesses and no traces of him. Six months later Sam is still missing, out of options Sam’s wife Julia hires a private investigator David Rake to find him. This could be David’s toughest case yet, as David suspects the police are lying to him and valuable secrets are being held back David is more determined than ever to find Sam… Someone knows what happened to Sam that day and David is going to find out who. ...more
Maz Loton
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
How does a man get on to a busy London tube train only to never be seen again? This is the mystery that private investigator, David Raker is hired to solve.

Vanished initially feels like a mystery straight from the pages of Agatha Christie or an episode of Jonathan Creek, and I loved this aspect of it. Gripping from start to finish, Weaver masterfully spins a web of suspense and intrigue, with some pretty gruesome violence thrown in for good measure.

The characters are believable and
Tiger
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The 3rd in Weaver's David Raker series set in London. Missing person investigator David Raker is hired by the wife of Sam Wren, a man who got on the London Tube one morning 6 months ago, and hasn't been seen since.

Raker's investigation takes him into the seedy underbelly of London's people traffickers, prostitution and nasty cops. Add in an uneasy reunion with Colm Healy, a damaged character from the last book, and this mystery was multilayered. This one was more gritty than the first 2 in this
Alex
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't often have the pleasure of giving a book 5*, but this was one of the best thrillers I've read in a long time, and definitely my favourite of the Raker series so far. I seem to have read these in a bit of a jumbled order, but even so it still stood out for me, and would be fine as a stand alone read. Lots of twists and turns, and yet another unexpected plot twist at the end. I also enjoyed the complex nature of Raker and Healy's relationship - some touching and amusing moments. Very cleve ...more
Gabriela Galescu
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
My first book in the series, but Weaver's third, so I am surprised at his clumsiness. That is, for a pretty good writer and podcast producer. Here is what I call clumsy: 1. Too much background on Healy (entire back-in-time chapters!) when half a page would have been enough to set him up as a rather unimportant second invastigator; 2. Too many twists towards the end of the book: the real killer escaping from the hospital wher he was taken as a victim is quite puerile. All in all not a bad book, b ...more
Wilde Sky
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
An investigator is asked to look into the disappearance of a man, who apparently vanished from a London underground train.

This was a well written book, with a gripping central plot and interesting / engaging characters, but there were many places in this book where I couldn’t understand why someone didn’t simply call the police.

Overall a good thriller, if you overlook a number of odd decisions made by the investigator. I’ll be looking out for other books by the same author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Unquiet Grave (Damen Brook, #4)
  • Siege (Scope #1)
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • Old Enemies
  • You Belong To Me (DCI Lorraine Fisher #3)
  • The Cross (Eddie Flynn #0.5)
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • Stranded
  • No Love Lost
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
  • Nameless (Ruby Darke #1)
  • Gone In Seconds (Kate Hanson, #1)
  • The Flight (Jenny Cooper, #4)
  • Hand For A Hand (DCI Gilchrist, #2)
  • Nights of Awe
  • Incinerator (Simeon Grist Mystery, #4)
  • The Hunt
  • Blood and Ashes (Joe Hunter, #5)
Tim Weaver is the bestselling author of the David Raker missing persons series. His fourth novel, Never Coming Back, was selected for the Richard and Judy Book Club, and his work has been nominated for a National Book Award. A former journalist and magazine editor, he lives near Bath with his wife and daughter. Find out more about Tim and his writing at www.timweaverbooks.com.

David Raker (10 books)
  • Chasing the Dead (David Raker, #1)
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • Never Coming Back (David Raker, #4)
  • Fall From Grace (David Raker #5)
  • What Remains  (David Raker, #6)
  • Broken Heart (David Raker, #7)
  • I Am Missing (David Raker, #8)
  • You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)
  • No One Home (David Raker #10)
“If she was lying to me, the lie would surface eventually. They always did. Usually families lied out of some misguided belief that it might affect how I did my job; as if my performance was based on how picture-perfect their life was. But the truth was, no life was perfect. Everyone had secrets.
It’s just some were buried deeper than others.”
1 likes