Start by marking “The Essential Homebirth Guide: For Families Planning or Considering Birthing at Home” as Want to Read:

Two midwives present the What to Expect When You're Expecting for homebirths—with a Foreword by Dr. Christiane Northrup.

Birthing is a miraculous time when you and your baby will work together to bring about life. As you finally cradle your precious newborn in your arms, you should know deep in your soul that every decision that brought the two of you to this special momen
Published February 12th 2013 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Homebirth Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Homebirth Guide

Adrianne Mathiowetz
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't been too worried about giving birth and was confident I wanted it to happen in a hospital -- growing up, my mom was an OB/GYN nurse and so not only did I not have the fear of hospital rooms so many people talk about, but I inherently trusted them: hospitals = MOM! And she had given birth to both my sister and I in a hospital, so I figured that knowing all of her options, she chose what was safest and best for everyone.

But after touring a birth center within a hospital -- even one known
Brittany Piersee
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Incredibly well researched book. Even if you are not considering homebirth this book is packed full of valuable information that every mama can benefit from. Thank for this resource!
Cherie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great resource for anyone planning on having a homebirth (or curious about having a homebirth). Lots of great info on how to prep, how to find a good midwife, what your care will be like, etc. So excited.
Emily
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Such a great resource! I'm so glad I read this, and I'm ready for my homebirth experience!
Gloria Miles
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book was very informative.
W
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
So, you're interested in having a home birth. Now what?

This easy-to-read book of homebirth FAQs endeavors to "open your range of experience and exposure, so that when you make decisions regarding where and how to birth, you will be making truly informed ones." Though the target audience is obviously women who have at least some intention of birthing at home, its scope is wide enough to be a good resource for any pregnant mother, covering a range of topics from common pregnancy concerns to the pr
Jenn
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally, a birth preparation book that is specifically geared toward homebirth families. There are plenty of books out there that contain stories of homebirths (including Ina May's famous books, of course) but none like this.

This book reads like many other mainstream birth books. In other words, it doesn't contain the very hippie language that other home and natural birth books do. I would hate for anyone to feel turned off by the idea of homebirth because they think it's only for hippies. I my
Meredith
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
If you're interested in the option of homebirth, then this book would be a good resource. It was written by midwives as well as containing a large number of testimonials from women who had homebirths. It is, however, written from the perspective of midwifery being legal and midwives being allowed to perform limited medical tests and procedures, so the services midwives can perform may be different in your state.

There is one major caveat. While this book contains a lot of good information, its t
Weesti
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a 2013 book which incorporates old tried and true info with the latest ideas of how and why to have a homebirth. Good for the pregnant couple and anyone interested in the pros and cons. It starts with the history, the goals, the reasons and proceeds to the how to of homebirth as well as the reasons it might not work out. Four stars instead of five because while it discusses nutrition, specific helpful ideas about the how-to of what is needed and the interactions with midwifes and doctors ...more
Destinee Sutton
There was a lot more general pregnancy/birth stuff in this than specific homebirth stuff (at least in terms of my expectations), but I still really enjoyed and appreciated this.

I recommend this to any pregnant lady considering giving birth outside of the hospital. How risky is it? What are the benefits? Read up and make a pro/con chart.

One thing in particular that the authors stress is that there is no "right" way to give birth. It's all about weighing your options and making a birth plan that
Chanae
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really only read about 3 chapters or so - just the ones I felt applied to me. As this is my 2nd child I didn't feel a need to read about how to choose a healthcare provider, or about nutrition during pregnancy, etc... So I only read the chapter about planning a home birth, and on considering allowing children to attend. I feel that overall though, this is meant more as just an introduction and was not as detailed as I was hoping for. I had already read similar things on blogs or in birth stori ...more
Violetlane
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book fills a great void for families planning or curious about homebirth. It's factual yet interesting, a great balance of information and inspiration for those planning to birth their babies at home. As a care provider working with these families, it's exciting to have a book to recommend that gives just the information they need as they plan their birth.
Sara Flanagan
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, full of tons of good information. My state doesn't allow homebirth, so it isn't something I can look forward to, unfortunately, but I still got a LOT more out of this book than the What to Expect book.
Nora
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, but I felt bad for days when they talked about the midwife checking your house to see if you'd dusted recently (I have not nor do I plan to) and it ruined the whole book for me.
Bri Zabriskie
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best book in preparing for homebirth I read. Great overview of everything to prepare for. Read the whole thing and loved it.
Kierstin Butler
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Even though we have planned on a homebirth, and tried with our 2nd daughter, this book still had some great facts, good information & easy to read (not dry).
Omi
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-life-books
Excellent! So much useful information, even if you aren't in the mindset to homebirth.
Amy
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good overview. Would definitely buy when I start planning a family, useful information for anyone interested in natural birth in their home or not.
Rebekah Rodriquez
An affirming, down-to-earth, helpful read.
N