Start by marking “A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)” as Want to Read:
A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)

A Red-Rose Chain

(October Daye #9)

Things are looking up.

For the first time in what feels like years, October “Toby” Daye has been able to pause long enough to take a breath and look at her life—and she likes what she sees. She has friends. She has allies. She has a squire to train and a King of Cats to love, and maybe, just maybe, she can let her guard down for a change.

Or not. When Queen Windermere’s sene
Published July 7th 2016 by Corsair (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Red-Rose Chain, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Reesa Graham
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ross Alon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
Choko
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the Fae inhabitants of BB&B!!!

Another wonderful installment in the October Daye series and the only thing that brings clouds on my sunny day is the realization that this was the last of the already published books.... What are we going to do while waiting for SM to create and publish the rest of the books??? We will miss our Fae and changeling friends terribly!!!

So, this was book 9 and by this point the fans of the series, which I consider myself to be a part of,
Robin (Bridge Four)
Read with my UF girls at Buddies Books and Baubles

4.5 Blood Tells Stars

It seems like so long ago that I started book 1 in this series and thought.

Oh my gosh there are NINE books to go though in this series.

Well here I am at book nine and now my thoughts are more like

What???…there are ONLY nine books in this series and I’m at the last one

I’ve come to really love October Daye and crew in this series. I can’t believe I’m at the end of the published books and now I have to wait like everyone else f
Kira
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this knowing that it took place in a different setting, but it did not disappoint. Toby was on another mission to save the day, but since she was acting as a diplomat, it didn’t have quite as much action. That was a good thing though. It gave her more time to interact with her friends who went on the mission with her.

I loved it that Tybalt was with her for almost the entire book! Being away meant he didn’t have to rush back to deal with Cait Sidhe issues
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The series is still good and and still going strong!

The Knight Hero of the realm is about to go on a quest she's absolutely and perfectly suited for. Can you guess what it is? Did you guess that it was diplomacy and the prevention of war among the Fae? No? Um, yeah, I guess I kinda lied just now, didn't I? Sorry.

Still, what could go wrong? I mean, it's not like she has any issues with how changelings are treated among the full blooded Fae, right? There couldn't ever be any problems cropping up
Emma
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! An impossible peace keeping mission full of Toby Daye trouble! This series gets more and more exciting!
Susana
Re-read September 5th 2016
******
Well, it appears that hell has frozen over, because the only reason I'm not giving this book two stars is due to the fact that it's been my favourite series for the last couple of years!

I'm sorry, but as much as it pains me to say it, this was fucking boring!
And repetitive! Over and over the same things. The same stories. The same patterns. Retold ad infinitum through out the entire book. WTH?
I've just only recently read "A Winter Long". Yes, that's right: I manag
Hollis
I was clearly as burnt out from reading these books as you probably are from reading my reviews because I started this and didn't finish it until four days later. I mostly blame a rewatch of Doctor Who but still. I was able to be distracted because too soon into this ninth installment, after the big broohaha from the book before, we were reunited with a villain I knew we'd see again.. just didn't expect to see so soon after temporarily vanquishing her. And we got a new nasty piece of work as per ...more
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

A Red-Rose Chain is the 9th installment in author Seanan McGuire's October Daye series. The story picks up (3) months after the end of The Winter Long. One could say that this is the third book in Toby's new story arc that started with Chimes at Midnight with Toby, May, Jazz, Quentin, and Tybalt taking down the Queen of the Mists, and installing her with the person who should have held the title after her father was murdered; Arden
Pippa DaCosta
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 stars - Goodreads rating: 'It was okay' and it was. I adore this series, especially the last couple of books. But this one just left me feeling completely flat.

Deposed Queen of the Mists is back, trying to kill Toby (who isn’t?) but this time she has a sidekick in the King of Silences, who uses changeling servants and generally treats anyone not pedigree fae as trash. Toby gets involved—by way of an ambassador role—along with Tybalt, May and Walther.

And yeah, that's kind of it. I kept waiting
Veronica
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I won this ARC through Goodreads' First Read giveaway and it was another excellent adventure with Toby and her family-by-choice. This book had a less frenetic pace than the last two books which is fine by me since I thought Toby and her crew lacked some breathing room in those. That's not to say that this book was dull or lacking in any way. Seanan McGuire continues to add layers to this fae world of her creation and the stakes are no less dire for Toby or, well, anyone. But Toby is facing a bat ...more
Jo
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

04/05/2016 Yay, it's our weekly TnT buddy read over at BB&B with my fellow October Daye addicts.

“Preventing a war is always the right thing to do,” he said gravely. “War is not a game, for all that some would play it as they would a round of whist. War is a tragedy in motion. Everyone is innocent, and everyone is guilty, and the crows come for their bodies all the same. The only ones who benefit in war are the night-haunts, and even they would rather their feasts came in smaller portion.”

On

Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
All over the series the subject of race was very prominent and loud but not nearly as much as it was in this book. You can't help but see the parallels with what's going on all over the world and how the author made a point of showing what the world would look like if we didn't start treating each other like equal human beings we all are.

Over and out
Maria Dimitrova
Weekly buddy read with the Toby Daye fanatics at BB&B

What are we going to do now that we've read all the books that are out? How do you go from one book per week to one per year? I don't think I can handle the withdrawal! I barely handled it when I had to stay away from the next book for a couple of days! *inconsolable sobbing*

And just when we all thought that we're finished with Miss Crazy Bitch #2 aka the former Queen of the Mists she's back and making life miserable for all the denizens of
All Things Urban Fantasy
If THE WINTER LONG was a cataclysmic event completing so many of the series' arcs, A RED-ROSE CHAIN is a triumphant rise from the ashes. Toby and her friends are thrown into unfamiliar waters with the highest of stakes, and the narrative sparkles along as they alternately quip and kick ass through this mystery. A return of everything fantastic about this series, A RED-ROSE CHAIN proves that with good and the bad revelations in her rearview mirror, Toby's adventures march triumphantly onward.

True
Ina
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"If we can bring about a kingdom's downfall in less than a week, I feel sure Arden will give you some sort of reward."
"Yeah, like a plane ticket to someplace really far away from the Mists. Maybe a nice tropical island."
"With our luck, the nice tropical island would be filled with dinosaurs."
"Still less annoying than what we're dealing with here."
"Sad but true."

- October Daye in a nutshell. Fighting dinosaurs would really be a pleasant change for Toby and co.
Re-read: January 2019

It's funny
Julia
If THE WINTER LONG was a cataclysmic event completing so many of the series' arcs, A RED-ROSE CHAIN is a triumphant rise from the ashes. Toby and her friends are thrown into unfamiliar waters with the highest of stakes, and the narrative sparkles along as they investigate, quip, and kick ass. A return of everything fantastic about this series, A RED-ROSE CHAIN proves that with good and the bad revelations in her rearview mirror, Toby's adventures march triumphantly onward.

True to her growth ove
Lauren
Red-Rose Chain
3.5 Stars

Changeling Knight of the Mists, October Daye, is not known for her diplomatic skills, but when the court of Queen Arden Windermere is threatened by the neighboring Kingdom of Silences, Toby is dispatched to negotiate a peaceful settlement. However, after witnessing the atrocities committed in the realm, Toby must decide whether to act in defiance of faerie or do nothing and allow others to suffer.

While Red-Rose Chain is slower and rehashes several plot points from previo
Pia
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Finished!!!!!
About time too. It took me almost a month of plodding through this. If not for my stubbornness I probably wouldn't have finished it (believe me, it cost me).

In hindsight, I might as well have skipped this installment.
For one thing, IMO there wasn't enough story there for a novella, let alone a whole book, and this story felt almost as a stand alone, adding nothing to overarching storyline. Ugh.

For another, it was boooooring. A lot of repetitions of stuff we already knew from earlie
Theresa
4.5 Stars... On the brink of war, October, Tybalt, Quentin, May, and Walther must confront a twisted King and a deposed Queen in order to restore peace and balance to Faerie... Using her signature writing elements, Seanan McGuire thrusts her readers into the core of political and magical machinations where every turn could be deadly and friends can easily become enemies... Learning to trust herself and those she loves, October brings new meaning to "Hero of the Realm" as she uses her bevy of mag ...more
Mizuki
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pretty-good, fantasy
Another soild read, what is interesting is how the world of the fairies expands through the series. Will read the next book ASAP.
Indiana
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, urban, fairy, 2015
A disappointing entry in this series which has been very up and down for me. They say happiness makes for dull reading and I suspect that is a bit of what this book suffers from. October Daye is pretty happy in her life with a great fiancée and a solid group of good nice friends and while such things are great and desirable to experience in real life, they aren't so exciting to read about. So the action has to come from the outside and sadly this round of adventures for the Scooby game was just ...more
Beth
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
This series is an automatic pre-order for me. I might not get to it right away but as long as I know I have it I'm good.

Toby and crew once again must save the day, but this time she is going in with an ambassador's role. Her new role leaves less battling, but don't worry its Toby...there is always blood shed.

I love the cohesiveness that has been found in Toby's crew. The character development has been marvelous throughout.

Looking forward to seeing where this will head next, of course I'll have i
Jeffe Kennedy
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story! The series has very much hit its stride now.
Melindeeloo
I am fond of these books in audio -they revived my interest in the Series- and it was definitely worth waiting the extra week.

I enjoyed Red Rose Chain. This far into the Series, I am pretty attached to Toby and the cast- so, I could pretty much be happy with everyone doing mundane things as long as the gang's all here. But the plot is doesn't leave much time for the ordinary. When Silences declares war on the Mists, Toby and crew have to play diplomats, and there is no way to forget they are i
Ivy
An awesome installment in the October Daye series.

Review to come later this year.

05/03/16

Apparently I forgot to write the review for this book. Well, now here it is.

5 stars

An awesome installment in the October Daye series. Glad Walther found the cure for elf-shot and we finally found where he was/is from. Interesting to see the false Queen of the Mists again. Also sad to find out who betrayed the Kingdom of Silences. Can't wait for Toby and Tybalt's wedding!!!!

Can't wait to read Once Broken Fai
Jen Davis
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to give credit to Seanan McGuire. It's a pretty great feat to keep a series entertaining and engaging after nine books; and that is just what she has done here with this latest installment in the October Daye series. She crafts new stories and circumstances for her characters that feel fresh, while she still draws on their rich history and past connections to make them relevant. She is consistent without ever being boring. But perhaps most importantly, she continues to infuse these charac ...more
Suz
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Poor Toby, she always gets put through the ringer.

Wonderful story, as always. I love seeing the way October is still growing, and how her relationship with Tybalt pushes them both to grow.

I ADORE watching Tybalt be in love with Toby. It's nice that she loves him back, but Tybalt is totes sigh-stuff.
Nichole
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Hmmm, I'm not sure what happened here. I love this series and have rated most of them 5 stars. After reading this one though, I'm left feeling disappointed and confused because surely I missed something...

confused photo: confused_zps40d95687.gif

After Queen Windermere's seneschal is elf-shot, Toby and the gang head to the Kingdom of Silences on a diplomatic mission. This is not a position that Toby is particularly good at because she has a tendency to muck things up. Fae politics are tricky and every word spoken has the potential t
Lindsay
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This series continues to be excellent and this is a typical entry in it.

The Kingdom of the Mists where Toby lives has war declared on it by the nearby Kingdom of Silences. (The faerie world versions of San Francisco and Portland respectively.) Queen Arden of the Mists sends Toby to Silences as an ambassador to attempt to head off a war. This is roughly like attempting to put out a fire with petrol, particularly considering the King of Silences was appointed by the previous Queen of Mists that T
Cathy
I hoped for a bit more Spike once he was included in the road trip, but that wasn't a significant issue. The Powell's mention was cute. Mostly it was as much fun as expected, lots of adventure, humor, outrage, romance, excitement, etc.

• Home Improvement: Undead Edition
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Shadow Rites (Jane Yellowrock, #10)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

October Daye (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)