Start by marking “FF, Volume 4” as Want to Read:
FF, Volume 4

FF, Volume 4

(FF (2010) #4)

The Future Foundation explores the furthest reaches of the Marvel Universe from Wakanda to the Negative Zone, encountering the Wizard and the Universal Inhumans along the way! Plus: What horror lurks inside Spider-Man and Human Torch's bathroom?

Collecting: FF 17-23.
Hardcover, First, 168 pages
Published December 5th 2015 by Marvel (first published December 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about FF, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FF, Volume 4

Terence
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Future Franklin Richards intervenes to stop the Inhuman-Kree War.

It took me a while to locate the last part of the Inhuman-Kree War. It wasn't great, but I wanted to know what happened. I just need to find one more little part of the Inhuman story to be all caught up with their history since 2000.

I really see the MCU appeal to developing the Inhumans. So many other comics have been developed so much that even the new stories at times become stale or contradictory to previous stories. In the case
Artemy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
I was underwhelmed by the last two volumes of FF, so I’m happy to say that this final book was really good. Not a lot of overarching story here, these issues were mostly standalone, but they did wrap up some of the loose ends and provided a heartfelt closure for the Future Foundation. There was yet another insufferable Inhumans-centered issue which earned this book four stars instead of five, but even so, this was probably the best volume of Hickman’s FF. This series was an interesting experimen ...more
Mike
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Johnny and the Future Foundation have further adventures in the Negative Zone? And there's a measure of Aaron-esque (a la Wolverine and the X-Men) humour to them? Well shit, where do I enlist? (As long as I don't have to cut my hair - hasn't happened in 19 years, no reason to start now...)

Then we get another chapter in the tensions between Kree and Inhuman (one of the Kree's grand experiments) and I find I'm bored again by the loves and losses among these far-flung dramas. Why is it that when a
Jesse A
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
About a year and a half ago I started reading Volume 1 of this series but I couldn't get into it. So I stopped and pretty much decided it wasn't worth my time. Then after a year of reading Hickman and understanding and purely enjoying his amazing skill I decided to pick it up again. Best comic decision I've ever made. This whole series marks for me the best thing that Marvel has ever done. Just outstanding!
Aaron
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great final entry in Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run. This one works a little more as a denouement for the entire run as a whole than Fantastic Four vol. 6 did, genuinely resolving the last lingering conflict between Black Bolt and the Kree Supremor. It's solid, crazy-science writing, and exactly the kind of stuff Hickman excels at.

Not to mention the adventures. There's a bunch of them. There's even an entire issue devoted strictly to present-day Franklin and future Franklin hav
Roy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great ending to a great series.
James DeSantis
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This...this is a hell of a way to end things. All about family.

So FF to me remained quality through almost its whole run. A few misses here and there, and even in this volume, there is a issue that didn't work with me. However, for the most part it's been good-great. This volume is mostly broken up stories, first starting with a little Peter and Johnny dispute and friendship moment. I read this before but enjoyed it again here. Then we get a space trip with the kids, which is pretty adorable. W
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was under the impression that the last 6 months of Jonathan Hickman's FF/F4 run would be inconsequential stories to pad out the end of his run. I couldn't have been more wrong.

These tales conclude all of Hickman's longstanding plotlines whilst leaving some threads danging for other writers or Hickman himself to pick up on later down the road, as well as prepping certain characters for Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers plans too.

These stories are alternatively funny, clever, heart-breaking, and a
Mike Jozic
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I'd like to give this collection a 3.5, alas...

As Hickman's run on both the parent Fantastic Four title and FF came to a close I found myself enjoying FF far more than the almost pointless adventures of Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben. Something about FF, both in art and story, was quieter, more intimate. It's somewhat fitting, then, to have the emotional epilogue, the true finale to this ground-breaking run, appear in this book.

Hard to recommend unless you followed the whole thing from somewhere re
Jeff Raymond
Probably my favorite volume of the four, for any number of reasons - the fun parts, the tying of loose ends, the art...everything came together incredibly well in this volume in a way I didn't expect given the sometimes scattershot previous volumes.

Ultimately glad I stuck this one out. A good showing.
Alex Sarll
In which the toys are put back in the box (including, alas, Annihilus being let off Johnny Storm's lead) - and Hickman turns out to have more heart than I'd previously credited.
Matt
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Collects FF issues #17-23

This is one of the best modern Marvel stories I've ever read, but be warned that you can't start with this volume. There is a lot to read before you can appreciate what happens in this book. In fact, I don't believe you could read this book, and fully understand all the intricacies of what is happening.

Before reading this, you need to read the following collected editions:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four (by Hickman) volumes 1-4
FF (by Hickman) volumes 1-2

Then yo
Bill
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good Fantastic Four writers know that they have to balance cosmic powers and a touch of space opera with the bittersweet drama of the importance of family (and, especially, extended family) in the modern world. Jonathan Hickman ends his run on FF and Fantastic Four with closure where closure is needed, yet plenty of opportunities for future adventure. In doing so, he sets the stage for another amazing run on this series by Matt Fraction (which, of course, I read first. I'm not so good at doing t ...more
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This last volume of the Future Foundation was simply perfect. It was beautiful in its joy and how much love these characters gave and, in a way, how it forced me as a reader to give back as well.

Volume 3 was a bit disappointing since it depended too much on the main Fantastic Four series. This one stood on its own feet and didn't ask permision to rely on these "second rate" characters who could be just as outstanding as the old Fantastic Four we all know.

I couldn't help being moved over and over
Jeremy
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
It's ok. The art is mostly enjoyable, but the conclusion is underwhelming. 3/5.
Daniel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent ending to an overall pretty strong run. Hickman writes the slower moments contained here well, but it's the expressive art of Nick Dragotta that really ties everything together.
Sans
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
See my review for Fantastic Four volume 6.
Fizzgig76
Reprints FF (1) #17-23 (June 2012-December 2012). The Future Foundation is on a fast-track to greatness. With the return of Johnny Storm, the FF is at full ranks…plus Spider-Man. As Peter and Johnny try to work together as teammates, the return of the Inhumans to Earth could mean big changes for Ronan the Accuser and his betrothed wife Crystal. Bentley finally gets the confrontation he wants with his father the Wizard and the older versions of Franklin and Valeria make a big decision about their ...more
Sean
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FF fans
So, if one were to read my review of Hickman's last collection of Fantastic Four, this will sound familiar. The two books should have been collected as one due to the amount of overlap. Here is Hickman's swan song with this amazing idea of amazing kids schooled by the Fantastic Four. The fact that he has been able to infuse such individuality into these kids is feat unto itself. Bentley 23 steals scenes left and right. The thing I haven't enjoyed is the future versions of Franklin and Valeria. I ...more
Alan
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I wish I could stop feeling that there were times your had to be reading Hickman's Fantastic Four to get the full story, but the 1st and 4th volumes are worthwhile reads in the genre of special kids attending a special school.

Volume 4 gets back to what I thought the title's mission statement was. The Future Foundation was to prepare the next generation to take over when Richards and crew retired. Hickman brought the fun back in more than a few spots, the type of fun that makes me think I need to
James
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A wonderful finale. Hickman gives voice to the full ensemble cast he's gathered during his run, Moloids and mermen, the Dragon Man, Alex Powers and more. He has a lot of fun but also invests real growth and meaning in his characters, recruiting a new genius from Wakanda and offering a satisfying farewell to future Franklin, who guides his younger self into assuming power cosmic.

The Human Torch has some great cameo moments as well. He tries to explain reproduction in substitute teaching the littl
Joshua
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A fun final romp through the Fantastic Four world Hickman established. The story telling continues to be entirely natural despite the fantastic nature of the characters and setting, and it continues to weave nice bits in that pay off later (in this case the best example is the Inhuman that Peter Parker/Spider-Man encounters in the first and last issues of this collection). Bentley continues to be a great character ("I don't wear helmets" was a great use of a line). The other members of the futur ...more
Holden Attradies
Even though I haven't read the main Fantastic Four series that goes along next to this I found this read to be pretty damn amazing.

This last collection felt like a bunch of short story's tying up lose ends and prepping things to come. The frequent change in art gave it even more of an anthology feel, and all of it seems to fit the content perfectly. The stories them self bounce between humor, tense excitement, and moments touching enough to make me tear up. The last one, about the two Franklins
Anchorpete
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"You are whatever you want to be"

That is the title of this trade. I never cry after reading a comic (or a book for that matter) but this one gave me that sensation on the very last page. Tears didn't come out, but I got that shiver feeling, that is for sure.

One of the best runs in comic books I have ever read, and one of the sweetest endings a comic has ever had. This story is not over. NO WAY, as a matter of fact, everything in Avengers, Avengers World, New Avengers and Infinity, that is all ba
Drown Hollum
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
This is a fun and conclusive ending to Hickman's FF title. This volume contains a handful of fun, meaningful stories, with delightful art spearheaded by Nick Dragotta. The tone is campy and lighthearted, with smooth and clever dialogue. The stories focus on the FF kids, while the Fantastic Four mostly beat around in the background. While this volume does not contain the same emotional weight or 'aha' moments of some of Hickman's prior installments, it's a satisfying ending, that manages to prese ...more
Silas
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an odd hodgepodge of stories that wrapped up a bunch of story threads from Hickman's run of FF before it transitions to the New Avengers Illuminati story. Other elements tie in to that run, which I have just read, so it is interesting to see it so heavily foreshadowed here. While the stories weren't closely related to each other, they were all a lot of fun. The art definitely left something to be desired, which significantly diminished my enjoyment of this volume, but the character mome ...more
Craig
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is really good, though the rather strange art style left me wondering sometimes. The stories are great and do a good job of wrapping things up (perhaps too neatly?). One of the best things about Hickman's run on the title has been the expansion of the Richards family and all the assorted kids attending the science academy, and they all get their due in this collection. This is what comics should be.
Terry Collins
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Still some top-flight intelligent entertainment, but as the series progresses, the seams are starting to show in terms of the concept. The writing remains, but the artwork ... well, at times, it gets a bit too quirky for even my tastes. The Peter Parker / Johnny Storm become roommates issue (er, chapter) has some amusing beats, with an unexpected punchline you could only find in this series. Still recommended!
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Wheras Hickman's last volume of the Fantastic Four was a let-down, his FF continues to be great. It seems to be all about the characters: not only is he writing characters that are more malleable here, but he's also able to get deeper into their heads. However, he also has a different style of writing for FF, one that's more thoughtful and more emotional, and that's what keeps FF a great comic all the way to the terrific end.
David
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
This title started off top-notch and it just keeps getting better. Hickman's Fantastic Four's probably the best I've read since Lee and Kirby dropped the title. I hope these get collected in an Omnibus. Dragotta's long been a Marvel favorite artist of mine and he's done some mindblowingly lovely work here. Hickman, Dragotta, FF = Comic Book Heaven.

• Spider-Man: Trouble on the Horizon
  • Nova, Volume 5: War of Kings
  • Avengers Academy, Volume 4: Final Exams
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four, Vol. 1
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 3
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at

FF (2010) (4 books)