Start by marking “Watchmen” as Want to Read:
Watchmen

Watchmen (Watchmen #1-12)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  428,117 Ratings  ·  11,191 Reviews
This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin.

One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial best-seller, Watchmen has been studied on college campuses across
Paperback, First British Edition, 424 pages
Published 1987 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Watchmen, please sign up.

Monique Couple things to keep in mind:
It was written in the 80's
It was written 30 years ago
It was written in a time that comics were not as diverse as they…more
Couple things to keep in mind:
It was written in the 80's
It was written 30 years ago
It was written in a time that comics were not as diverse as they are today, nor as easily accessible
It was written in the time of the Cold War

All these things shape this comic in some way. Personally, I didn't find it very enjoyable, but I can see why its as lauded as it is. There's a lot going on with this book. Moore employs a lot of symbolism and subtext.

Its cool not to like it. Just because its a classic or well known and loved, doesn't mean you have to love it. Just know that there are legitimate reasons why it makes so many 'best of' lists. :)(less)

J.G. Keely
Since the movie came out, I've found myself having to explain why Watchmen is important and interesting. Despite being the most revered comic book of all time, it never really entered the mainstream until the film. Now, people are rushing to read it in droves, but approaching Watchmen without an understanding of its history and influences means missing most of what makes it truly special.

The entire work is an exploration of the history and purpose of the superhero genre: how readers connect to i
Mark Lawrence
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this until last year. I saw the film about six months later. I'm a new convert still radiant with that 'just converted' glow.

Along with the Sandman graphic novels this is my favourite work in the medium (Zenith and Preacher get honourable mentions). Watchmen wins over all of the other candidates in ambition. This is a work of vast ambition. It doesn't deliver on every level, it isn't perfect, but it contains so much that succeeds, and comes so close to fulfilling its promises that
Bookdragon Sean
Morality is a fickle bitch.

This is, simply put, iconic. When any one mentions comics/graphic novels the first thought that enters is an image of the Watchmen. I think there is a strong reason for it. It made me question morality on a scale rarely seen in fiction. Indeed, when considering the characters it is incredibly hard to consider any of them truly good or truly bad. They are simply people who are convinced that they are right.

Take Rorschach, he follows the law to the very letter, but nev
Schmacko
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can understand why this is considered a holy tome in the field of graphic novels. The plot is complex, it’s unique, and it’s well drawn. Also, it’s got the Holy Grail of every geeky comic book fan's wetdreams – lots of cool gadgets and stuff.

I ain’t knocking that. Imagination abounds, and I am thoroughly impressed. I love that comic books and graphic novels create their entire world – but – BUT then again every piece of art creates it’s own world. And ALL OF THOSE OTHER ARTS MAKE EMOTIONALLY E
Fabian
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People turned off by graphic novels but with an open mind
Recommended to Fabian by: M. M.
Not a fan of the graphic novel but this epic actually moved me. It tells of the human drama, the DNA that is passed down generations, the hopelessness of modernity, and which side we'll choose when the apocalypse is neigh. It is pessimistic, dark, & sometimes silly (as a staple of the genre... it wouldn't be a success if it wasn't SOMEhow ridiculous).

"The Incredibles" (Best Pixar Picture Ever) touched upon many of the themes presented here, mainly about the humanity of "Superheroes." Can a r
Felicia
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, graphic-novels
Hmm, what to say. I read this AFTER I saw the movie, which was sacrilege according to some fellow geeks on Twitter, but my definition of "Geek" is someone who doesn't do what people PRESSURE them to do :P They love what they love. So anyhoo I read this and I can summarize this way:

The Movie did a great summary of the plot while formulating a story that missed the subtext of the graphic novel entirely.

I enjoyed both, but after reading the graphic novel, it's almost sad how the impression you tak
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

What's this? Unpopular opinion time?

Most of my friends and most of Goodreads love this book. I did not. I read for pleasure. I don't care if reading makes me smart. I don't care if reading makes me pretty. I just want that escape into other worlds.
If I went to this world-I would die from boredom.

I actually like the darker books so I thought this one would sweep me up into the fandom of it. But, alas, it just made me sleep quite well last night.
I didn't even know there was a movie made from i
Nicole Prestin
Jul 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I realize that what I'm about to say is as close as you can get to comic book blasphemy, but I think that 1) Alan Moore is the most overrated comic book writer ever and 2) this graphic novel is overblown, pretentious and most unforgivable of all, boring.

To be fair, I'm somewhat of a snob when it comes to my reading habits. First and foremost, I want to be entertained. If the story happens to be deep, thought provoking or groundbreaking as well, that's icing on the cake. And the bottom line is th
Sanjay Gautam
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alan Moore is the greatest graphic novelist of all time. He has created a world where superheroes are not typical superheroes like super-man, spider-man et al. Each superhero has a unique philosophical perspective. And he has created superheroes who were either in deep complex psychological crisis or are going through one, and they are not perfect who always save the day in the end.
Pouting Always
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So I've been super busy trying to figure out my life now that I've graduated and it's terrible and I've literally read nothing in weeks but I actually ended up taking a day to read this because someone lent it to me. My boyfriend was saying that it was ridiculous that I hadn't read this yet and insisted I finish and even though now I'm like behind on this online class that I've been taking it was totally worth it. Usually I write like some kind of synopsis but not sure how to go about that here. ...more
splendour 1 7 Nov 20, 2017 11:14PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Watchmen 1 2 Nov 01, 2017 02:41PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Watchmen 3 13 Aug 21, 2017 02:38AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: "Watchmen" coming to HBO? 8 34 Jun 29, 2017 06:30AM
Around the Year i...: Watchmen, by Alan Moore 5 22 Jun 10, 2017 02:42AM
  • The Wake (The Sandman, #10)
  • Planetary, Volume 2: The Fourth Man
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 4: Bloody Hell in America
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore...

Watchmen (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Watchmen #1: At Midnight, All The Agents....
  • Watchmen #2: Absent Friends
  • Watchmen #7: A Brother To Dragons
  • Watchmen #8: Old Ghosts
  • Watchmen #9: The Darkness of Mere Being
  • Watchmen #10: Two Riders Were Approaching
“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.” 1227 likes
“Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.

Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.

Was Rorschach.

Does that answer your Questions, Doctor?”
874 likes