Start by marking “The Hidden Masters and the Unspeakable Evil: A hard drinking occult adventure with gambling... and trouser issues” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  14 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Somebody wants to turn Blackpool into a seedy, tacky and depraved town.

Has a dark presence from the other side risen up to conquer Britain's northern holiday resorts? The Three Hidden Masters (two from Hemel Hempstead and one from Bricket Wood) need to find out before it's too late...

Described by one reader as "Fear and Loathing in Blackpool meets the Illuminatus trilogy"
Published June 20th 2012 by Twin Serpents (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Masters and the Unspeakable Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Masters and the Unspeakable Evil

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Hidden Masters and the Unspeakable Evil: A hard drinking occult adventure with gambling... and trouser issues
Angie
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourites of 2012 and possibly the only book I've ever read which left me slightly stunned and speechless. It's a totally bonkers riot of a read. I found myself crying with laughter at some of the antics of the Masters and, in particular, the Python-esque crowd scenes were brilliant. I thought that the story-telling was first class and I found it to be a very visual read. It really would be a travesty if this wasn't made into a film because I think it would transfer extremely ...more
Candy Korman
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heavy dollop of Douglas Addams, with a dash mystical doings, all in a set-up reminiscent of a mad-cap 1960s comedy movie. The mobsters in the conference center are off-the-wall and the chase scenes are hysterical.

I won't risk a spoiler because, this adventure is held together with a delicate balance of whimsy, booze & magic. Giving a way more than a hint of the miniature village/regular sized cats and the insanity of the number of incidents in such a short time frame, would kill the story.

Sus
Alex
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really, the only thing I can say about this book, is that it's the most HILARIOUSLY BONKERS THING I'VE EVER READ.
Elizabeth A.
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you threw Douglas Adams, Robert Rankin, and Hunter S. Thompson in a blender, well, you’d get quite a mess actually. But if you threw a handful of their books in a blender… no, that’d still make a mess. OK, pretend you could magically combine the best of what makes each of those authors unique into a single work and what you ended up with might read something like Jack Barrow’s The Hidden Masters and the Unspeakable Evil.

The Three Hidden Masters – two from Hemel Hempstead, one from Bricket Woo
Nimue Brown
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very rarely give out 5 stars, but this is an exceptional book and definitely deserves them.

Yesterday’s interview with Jack Barrow leads me neatly to today’s pondering of his book, which I have read. I had no idea how much I wanted this book until it turned up, but it turns out that I’ve been craving this kind of thing for a long time. Our Mr Barrow is a magician, he knows his stuff, and thus when he sets out to write comedy magical fiction, he does so from a basis of understanding, and the res
Jessica Buike
Aug 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
I gave this book an honest effort, but I just couldn't get into it at all. It was repetitive an not interesting enough to pull me in. Maybe it's not my style of literature and would be better suited to a different audience, one that enjoys a different type of dry humor.
Cole Tucker
Jun 04, 2015
Nigel John
Oct 21, 2015
So what did everyone think? 1 4 Mar 12, 2013 05:19AM
I live in Hertfordshire, England, where I write about popular philosophy in modern life. I have a particular interest in the way people are creating their own philosophies from the bottom up.

I try to bring an intellectual rigour to this field instead of merely accepting any old idea. Take, for example, the incredibly fluffy statement I once heard someone say with all seriousness, ‘everything has

News & Interviews