Start by marking “Baby Bumps: The Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed Rest and One Batshit Crazy Family” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

From the author of the award-winning blog Snarky Mommy comes a book that will make every woman who has ever been pregnant pee with laughter (not that that's hard). Wearing her highest heels and hottest pregnancy jeans, Amy Sprenger marched into her doctor's office, latte in hand, ready to finally see whether her baby was a boy or a girl. Sure, sure, this appointment was su ...more
Published June 29th 2012 by Beyond the Page Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Baby Bumps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Bumps

Ruth
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this as a free Kindle book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the sarcastic wit about a tough subject. Annie and Jake are expecting their first child when suddenly they are thrown into the high risk pregnancy club. Having been there myself, I can relate to some of the things written about. I know that some readers found this couple obnoxious but sometimes you really need humor to get you through the tough spots in life. Annie was certainly very self centered and Jake was very patient. ...more
Norm
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
SARCASTIC FUN

I’m as much a fan of sarcasm as the next guy. It has a place as one of the roots of true humor, going back to the caveman days.

Caveman #1: “Do you think it would hurt if I hit myself on the head with this club?”

Caveman #2 (rolling his eyes): “Of course not. Go for it, dude.”
And the first concussion was born.

But it is possible to swim too deep in the sarcasm pool, and Dr. Clifford Lazarus of Psychology Today wrote that sarcasm is ‘hostility disguised as humor.’ I’m not sure I agree,
Jenne
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
HILARIOUS!!! This book had me laughing out loud all by myself! I am 8 months pregnant and in total need of a laugh attack! She is funny, endearing, and a little bit crazy, but her stories are so well told that you feel like you are there! Even if they aren't totally true (her words not mine) it makes you wish it was!
Author Groupie
When Shirley You Jest! Book Awards asked me to review their Shirley LOL winner, Baby Bumps: The Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed Rest and One Batshit Crazy Family by Amy Sprenger, I was intrigued after reading the Acknowledgments; I so understood and appreciated Sprenger's tart humor as well as her point of view,
". . . James Frey and A Million Little Pieces and- boom- everybody was all up in arms about 'fabrication' and 'truth.' What a drag. Thanks for ruining it for the r
Underground Book Reviews
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
There isn't anything funny about pregnancy complications. But when Amy Sprenger talks about her experience in and out of the hospital while a baby is incubating in her belly, it's non-stop laughter. With witty dialogue and amusing side-remarks, Amy turns a nightmarish nine months into a hilarious tale of love and family.

As the first place winner of the 2013 Shirley You Jest competition, there is no doubt that Baby Bumps is funny. Amy starts the book wearing a "knocked up" T-shirt and spends most
Jenevieve
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Described as the Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed-Rest, and One Bat-Shit Crazy Famiy and that about sums it up. Everything was going hunky dory in Annie's life until her u/s to check on the gender, er the health, of her baby and then it went downhill with incompetent cervix, irritable uterus, 4mos of complete bedrest with a complete remodel of their home in progress.

Amy is the author of the award-winning blog, Snarky Mommy, and brings her singular humor and wit to a situat
Shinder
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
A cute easy read with a lot of sarcasm throughout the book. While I can appreciate sarcasm and humour I felt like the author overloaded it every chance she got. I found Annie and jake to be completely obnoxious and juvenile almost to the point where it felt like they should not be having a child since they themselves were behaving like petulant children, however when they would have a rare softer moment they felt likeable. Happy for their happy ending but throughout the book I found myself reall ...more
Hannah Shows
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If your thinking about having a baby, read this!

First of all I feel like me and Amy are soul sisters, her reactions are so close to the way I feel like I would react in that situation it's crazy! This book is worth every penny! It puts a whole new spin on high risk pregnancy thats comical and down to earth instead of boring and straight laced. Great read, I would definitely recommend!
Cat
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction-misc
I don't think I've ever read a book before that I would rate as both poignant and pee-your-pants funny, but this one definitely hits that mark. If sarcasm is not your brand of humor, or you can't relate to dealing with stress and trauma by laughing at it, then this book is NOT for you. If, on the other hand, you make lemon meringue pie whenever life hands you lemons, and then smash it in life's face, you will love this book!
Julianna Michna
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because I could relate to the story. The book started when the main character was 20 weeks pregnant and that was exactly where i was in my pregnancy, dealing with a lot of the same issues and frustrations as the main character. Great read for a pregnant women wanting a laugh.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Honestly is the best policy, right...well that is what Amy Sprenger thinks as she writes about pregnancy motherhood and really life in general. The story is funny, honest and raw. Spenger holds nothing back and I could relate to her and her struggles. This is a great read for all mothers, but beware: you will laugh, you could cry and you will have fun reading this book: 5 stars!!!
Kari
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on this book by the end of the second page - I literally thought about going home and reading it nonstop over the past week and got embarrassed when I caught myself smiling at it/might have giggled out loud while I was waiting for an eye appt. I'm also not too proud to admit I leaked a few tears, on more than one occasion. Clearly, I loved this book.
Charity
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute, quirky way to read the story of a woman put on bed rest for half of her pregnancy. It was interesting to see it from her perspective (and to read all these witty sarcasms I only wish to be able to think of someday) as she lets the reader know how serious the situation was but also keeps it upbeat so as not to make the book depressing.
Libraryscat
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, childbirth, family
As someone who also spent 14 weeks on bed rest, only get up to pee, no such thing as showers, I found this book hysterical. The author really captures the hardships that become life stories once that bundle of joy is in your arms.
Kat
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So relatable

This book is a great read before or after birth! I read it while pregnant with my second and it's an honest, refreshing look at the horrors and miracles of pregnancy, delivery, and becoming a new mommy!
Kim
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best pregnancy "fiction-ish" book I have ever read. This book is hilarious! I love all the snarky comments layered with the real life moments and touching moments. A great read for anyone who is pregnant or has had a baby.
Shannon
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story of a woman's experience being high risk throughout her pregnancy. I do wish it would have continued with the life after pregnancy side because that's when the real din begins.
Stacey Brown
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-digital
The stories are hysterical and will definitely resonate with anyone whose gone through pregnancy and childbirth. But the narrator is so annoying, self-centered, and unappreciative that it makes the book hard to read at times.
Carol
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, new-author, nook-own
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Stacy M
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick and fun read, I laughed out loud quite a bit.
Elizabeth

This book was hilarious and I would recommend it to just about anyone wanting a light hearted, funny, and fast paced book.
Kat
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the sequel :)
Nicole Saunches
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You do not have to be pregnant or a parent to enjoy this book. All you need is a good sense of humor. This book will definitely make you laugh and possibly make you cry.
Colbey Jones
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love a book that makes me laugh out loud and this one did just that from start to finish!
Dana Clark
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it

This book made me laugh at so many things because its the truth.... Great read!!
Suzi
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really funny and well-written.
Jessica
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Laughed out loud several times with this book! A must read when you are expecting!
Chelly
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny as heck. Was tge author self centered heck yeah but so are most pregnant women at some point. Loved Jake the husband and Jake tge contractor.
Alexandria Pitts
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good read. Looking forward to reading more by Amy Sprenger. She has a great sense of humor that most moms can relate too.
Laura Gephart
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud at this book! Finished in half a day it was so good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Murder on the First Day of Christmas (Chloe Carstairs, #1)
  • Wellesley Wives
  • Midwife: A Calling
  • Spirit Car: Journey to a Dakota Past
  • Catching Babies: A Midwife's Tale
  • Long Blue Line: Based On A True Story
  • The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)
  • Feminista
  • Tales of a Midwife
  • Exploiting My Baby: Because It's Exploiting Me
  • Never Love a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #5)
  • Camilla's Roses
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • Mandatory Release
  • Finding the Rainbow
  • On the Line (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #2)
  • Retribution (Will Parker, #1)
  • When Girlfriends Step Up (When Girlfriends, #2)
Amy Sprenger is the author of the award-winning blog SnarkyMommy.com, where she tells it like it is and isn't afraid to make fun of herself or her questionable parenting prowess. She has three young kids and a penchant for getting herself into ridiculous situations. A former news and sports reporter, Amy lives with her husband and children in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood where she silently ...more