Start by marking “The Magic In The Receiver” as Want to Read:
The Magic In The Receiver

The Magic In The Receiver

THE MAGIC IN THE RECEIVER is a captivating debut novel set on the Greek island of Kefalonia. Told in the present, and during the week of the Great Ionian Earthquake, three tales are woven into one unforgettable story.

Flashback to 1953 and Kefalonia lies ruined, shattered by a massive earthquake. Nine-year-old Ioannis Katros’s family is torn apart and he joins thousands in
ebook
Published July 7th 2012 by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Magic In The Receiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic In The Receiver

**✿❀  Maki ❀✿**
This was a very "meh" book.

The story fluctuates back and forth between two stories, and although those stories are ultimately tied together, only one actually has an ending. It was incredibly frustrating to only have closure on the half of the story focused on Elena's father.

There was some nice scenery in the descriptions of the various islands and the religious ceremony, and I found myself really interested in the earthquake part of the story. But every time Elena came back, I groaned. She was
Ceri
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just read this while on holiday on Kefalonia. I loved the evocative images of the island and the flashback storyline involving the 1953 earthquake. But the storyline involving Elena was weak and without a conclusion. Sadly and frustratingly I felt this book had a lot of potential that it fails to live up to, much like the main protagonist, Elena.
Helen
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice slow paced read, interesting to think about how the 53 earthquake affected the place. Having been to visit Gerasimo's church and had a tour of Kefalonia it was easy to picture lots of the places
Carina Carnagey
This novels goes back and forth between the past in Argostoli, Kefalonia in 1953 during a massive earthquake, the present and a week prior to the present. The story of the past, during the earthquake, relays the story of what happened to a nine year old boy named Ionnis Katros and his family. I really enjoyed this part of the story. And, I am disappointed that the story didn't go back to that part as often as the present. I would have really like to know more about characters relationships and w ...more
Kathleen Patel
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a book that can transport me to another world, a faraway, exotic and beautiful place. As I read this book, I fell in love the picturesque Greek island of Kefalonia. I could hear the waves pounding on the beach and smell the aroma of the Bougainvillea that painted the island with swaths of vivid color.

There are two stories being told simultaneously. Elena is a young Greek-American woman visiting the land of her father. She is at a crossroads in her life, facing some serious decisions.

Then
Melanie
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Feel the balmy air and hot sun. See the beautiful beaches, turquoise waters and all the bright, vivid colors of the island. Smell the sweet flowers…hear the cicadas and birds chirping…taste the native foods and drink. The Magic in the Receiver is a paradise retreat for the senses…

Set on the Greek island of Kefalonia, The Magic in the Receiver consists of three story lines that tie together. The reader is taken back to 19
Shari
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful setting, yet only partial closure

The descriptions of the island of Kefalonia and life on it were both beautiful and accurate. I loved the way his words transported me right back there. (It's been years since I've been to my father's birthplace.)

The story of the earthquake and of Ioannis, Nicia, and Andreas were compelling. I kept waiting to see what would happen next, both in 1953 and the present day. I felt that there was good closure at the end of this part of the story.

Unfortunatel
Sara
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author does a great job describing the setting of the island. I loved the beginning of this book. It really seemed like it was headed somewhere. There was suspense in the tale of the father, and a sense of big decisions coming with Elena. Unfortunately, the story goes downhill from there. Ben goes from a young man who experiences beauty in tangible ways to a trust fund brat whose only thoughts seem to involve how many times he can have sex with his latest infatuation before she is gone forev ...more
Naomi
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/W4aPCk

My opinion: I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it either. The book also didn't have the pop that I expected the book to have given its' setting. To be honest, it was quite vanilla given the passionate setting of the Greek isles. I found myself distracted frequently during the reading of this book. In reflecting on other Goodreads reviews of this book that have higher scores than mine, it describes deep descriptions of the island. I didn't see that
Alexes
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Magic in the Receiver transports the reader to the beautiful Greek island of Kefalonia where we meet Ben, a rich man at loose ends, and Elena, a young Greek-American struggling to make a life-altering decision. The author takes us deep into the hearts and minds of these two people, with a keenly observed exploration of their dreams and desires. We also meet Elena's father, aunt and uncle--survivors of the terrible 1953 earthquakes on the island. The descriptions of the earthquakes, what it m ...more
Tina
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book started off very promising with a great writing style, but the character of Ben didn't fit in. He was an immature 40 year old who lusted after younger, beautiful women. Allegedly, he couldn't get over the death of his girlfriend, so Daddy set him up with a trust fund. Perhaps I would have liked him better if he had not been so shallow and actually had to struggle through life.

Also, typos and missing words. Doesn't any one proofread any more??
Rebecca
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-free
Blah. I am sure a lot of people found it some amazing emotional book. But to me... blah.

It hopped all over in time (it didn't just have a past timeline and a present timeline, but hopped all over in both as well as between them), making it difficult to follow, and nothing really felt resolved. I certainly didn't think much of the main female character either.
Daniel Davis
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book just intrigued enough to keep me reading until i was hooked. I do enjoyed this little masterpiece of romance and whimsy. I will go to this island someday. The characters were impossible and lovely and weird and wonderful. Get this one as you deserve a little romantic adventure in your life. email Danieldabear@Gmail.com
Julie
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book - liked the way it moved between the great earthquake and the present. Brought back strong memories of my time in Greece, although I don't know the island that well, the book has made me yearn to travel again. A good read!
Jasmine
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enticing tale which links the lives of characters across the Greek island of Kefalonia! Perhaps more enjoyable as I read it whilst here on the Island... Painted the pictures of the Island perfectly! Must read!!
Lorrie
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really want to visit Greece after reading this story! I had hoped that there would be more of a connection between the past and the present of the story. That there wasn't, was a source of disappointment for me.
Alona Perlin
This book had a very interesting setting in Greece. It was pleasant, however, it was not very memorable and did not leave a very lasting impression on me. However, it was a pretty nice book to read.
Monica Savage
Don't bother.
Marilynn
Good story, but an inconclusive ending, leaving the reader wondering what happened? Did Elena to back to Boston to Greg,OR was her last night with Ben enough to make her stay,

Carol Scheherazade
I liked this book until the ending. The descriptions of Greece and the food, the weather were wonderful, but the book did not have an ending that was satisfying in any way.
rated it it was ok
Gill Rice
rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2017
Gretchen Taylor
rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paul Dillon is a British author living in Los Angeles, California. His first novel, THE MAGIC IN THE RECEIVER, was published in July 2012.