Start by marking “The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)

The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas #6)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  11,750 Ratings  ·  1,049 Reviews
Where do you run to when your life has fallen apart?

Lucy Jorik is a champ at never embarrassing the family she adores—not surprising since her mother is one of the most famous women in the world. But now Lucy has done just that. And on her wedding day, no less, to the most perfect man she's ever known.

Instead of saying "I do" to Mr. Irresistible, Lucy flees the church in a
Published July 10th 2012 by William Morrow

♥Sharon♥
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay friends! I’ve come to the end of the road with the Wynette Texas series. What a freaking fun and amazing ride it has been. The leading men, the leading ladies, the side characters, the humor, the sex, and the banter allowed for such creative and easy flowing storylines. SEP ROCKS! I’d love to meet her someday, share a glass of wine and ask her how the heck she comes up these stories. I wonder what or who her inspirations are.

photo 0b4421db47e2e618bb73f4e7a2bcc271_zpsnov4bqrn.jpg

In The Great Escape we get Lucy Jorik’s story. She has made her e
Karen
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. I’ve finally reached the end of the Wynette Texas Series. And I have cherished each and every story. I heard a whisper on the wind that there may be an eighth book???!!! PLEASE YES! If not, I know I will be re-reading these books for years to come.

The Great Escape is Lucy Jorik’s story. We first met Lucy as a surly but frightened fourteen year old girl in First Lady. Left orphaned by an alcoholic and neglectful mother, Lucy was forced to grow up fast
Amanda
There was nothing redeeming about this book for me. Nothing. I was so fed up with it that I finally returned it at 92%. I didn't even care about the ending. I couldn't stand any of the characters. They were all stupid. And annoying. And had no depth. SEP is one of my favorite authors, but I REALLY hated this book.

Ok, here is the rest of my review....I just didn't have the energy to type it out on my phone. I have to say, it about killed me to give SEP a 1 star rating. Even the books that weren'
Jill
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

He jerked his head toward the rear of his bike. "Wanna go for a ride?"

Lucy Jorik has just run out on the most perfect man in the world on her wedding day. And made the great escape from Wynette on the back of a motorbike with a stranger named Panda.

The Great Escape is the sequel to Call Me Irresistible where Ted (Lucy's fiancé) and Meg (Lucy's best friend) find their hea. The Great Escape runs in parallel time with Call Me Irresistible so while Panda and Lucy are running away, Ted and M
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

2,5 Stars

Well-written and, in the sparse good moments, full of the usual trademark quirky humour, I nonetheless found it little inspired and not as engaging compared to its counterpart, Call Me Irresistible. If said previous instalment in the Wynette series dealt with the jilted-at-the-altar groom's point of view, here we are presented with the other side of the coin through the perspectives of the runaway bride and the mysterious man accompanying her on a wild ride.
Despite the exciting premis
Sadie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. You know when you read a book from one of your favorite authors of all times and wonder if it's a test... that she didn't really write this book and you're supposed to call foul?

Also, instead of reading this book, just go rent Chasing Liberty. Same premise, much cuter.

The secondary story felt incomplete, the characters never really connected, the transformations were stilted, the Ah-ha Moments were more like, Yeah? And?

I ADORE Ms. Phillips. I think the woman's whole house and yard belong on
Jane Stewart
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars. I felt good while reading the paperback, but the audiobook narrator ruined it.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I’ve read most of this author’s books and gave 4 or 5 stars to all but two. I love her style. I love her dialogue. I love the way her characters bicker and insult each other. It’s her trademark. When I opened this book and began reading I felt like I had just been reunited with an old friend. A lot of her stories are similar, but I like her kind of stories.

Some reviewers claimed it was too
Ana
I wanted to like this book, I really did. But the story was spoiled for me by the spoiled, annoying heroine. I couldn't relate to her at all. The rest of the characters felt like caricatures (though I did like Bree). Overall, I've enjoyed Call me Irresistible much more than The Great Escape.

That being said, Susan Elizabeth Phillips is still my favorite romance author and I still love her.
Anzu The Great Destroyer

Oh hell I fell asleep while reading. Again.

But wait! Holy shitting mushrooms I rated a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book one star. ONE STAR! Painful. It was so painful.

The Great Escape was supposed to be the book that makes up for the epic fail that was Call Me Irresistible. And the sad thing is that at least I managed to finish Call Me Irresistible. I could not finish The Great Escape. My main reason is its dullness. I miss the good ol’ times when Susan Elizabeth Phillips used to write nice books.
★★★★
The Great Escape is the seventh and final installment in Susan Elizabeth Phillips's adult contemporary romance series titled: Wynette, Texas. This story follows up on the opening scene from the sixth book: Call Me Irresistible when Lucy plays the role of runaway bride. That story swiftly segued into the groom's new romance, but what happened to Lucy? Well, Ms. Phillips spills it all in The Great Escape...and I loved it!

Ms. Phillips offers readers complex characters who have very complicated
Dija
*Buddy read with Anzu~ You can read her review here.*

3.8/5 stars

After the mega-disappointment Call Me Irresistible was, I was prepared for this one to be at least as bad, if not worse. And really, with a hero named "Panda", how great could it possibly be?

I was spot-on for about the first half or so. Panda was disgusting and I didn't recognize grown-up Lucy at all, who used to be so brave and courageous in First Lady. All the characters were acting like snobs and I was sure this would be another
Zeek
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, contemp-rom
The follow up to Call Me Irresistible (Which I loved btw,) I found The Great Escape to be a let down.

So. The Great Escape starts where the heroine, Lucy Jorik, exited in the previous book Call Me Irresistible. We join her after she left Wynette, Texas's favorite son Ted Beaudine and their proposed wedding of the century- and she’s done it on the back of a motorbike with a disreputable guy whom is sure to be a big mistake. That being Panda, a friend of Ted’s she just met the night before. (yeah
Miki
Jul 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-read-again
And there goes another writer off my "must read" list. I like -and still re-read- SEP's earlier books. She used to be an automatic HB buy for me. Then she slid down to "wait for the paperback" and from there to "borrow from the library" but now I'm done. No more Ms Phillips from any source. Lucy - who is presented as an intelligent, 30-something woman - leaves her fiance at the altar and runs away with a strange - in EVERY sense of the word - man on a motorcycle, to Find Herself. In order to do ...more
Anne OK
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Lucy's made her escape; she ran from Mr. Perfect Ted Beaudine, and now in "The Great Escape" she's hooking up with a biker guy named Panda. Oh but hang on gang, the fun is just beginning. SEP is about to take us on another fun-filled, glorious trip into romanceland where she'll introduce us to another group of unforgettable characters. This one kept me captivated from beginning to ending. A little stretch of the imagination is required but still yet what I expect from one of my favorite contempo ...more
Janelle
I'm a huge SEP fan having, like the reviewer below, read all of her books, soI've been looking forward to Lucy Jorik's story for quite awhile. When I saw that it had finally been released, I wasted no time running down to Barnes and Noble to plunk down my money for the hardcover...

...only to get it home, read it and feel, well, MEH. Super disappointed.

There's a dynamic between the main characters in SEP's previous books that is exciting. The banter is snappy, the chemistry electric. This book s
Nancy
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a disappointing book for me. The basic story line is that Lucy is to marry the perfect man, Ted, and runs away. Conveniently, Tough Motorcycle Man who calls himself Panda (!) picks her up and they run away. He's rude, crude and inconsiderate. After a couple of weeks, he dumps her at the airport and tells her to go home. And so she does. She goes to HIS home. She has figured out at least that much. And that he has a great kisser. And that drives her to his summer home in Michigan.

Because
Eilonwy
Former First Daughter Lucy Jorik flees from her wedding, gets picked up by a motorcycle-riding guy who is the opposite of the too-perfect groom she's dumped, and finally gets a chance to go a little bad -- and it feels so good.
This is a sequel to Call Me Irresistible, which opens with Lucy's failed wedding, but then follows her best friend's romance with the jilted groom. In this book, readers finally get to find out what happened to Lucy.

This was everything I love about Susan Elizabeth Phill
Hirondelle
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Overly Attached Girlfriend is the daughter of a former president of the USA and meets a guy named Panda. That is it. And i thought it was awful, and stuffy and unconvincing. Oh well, at least it was a loan.

I should explain why I read this. 10 years ago I thought her books were so cute, so fun in a nice but materialistic, slightly trashy way, like a nice gentler Judith Krantz (misspent youth with few books, sorry). Light fluffy stuff. I might have gotten pickier, but the books have also IMO becam
Nicis
EL EPÍLOGO ES LO MÁS LINDO, LLORO PURPURINA *__*

3.5/5

Reseña completa: http://miotrarealidadetinta.blogspot.... :)
Nisha
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally! I'm so excited for Lucy's book, but a hero named Panda... He's got to have a cooler name.
Duchess Nicole
How is it that SEP's characters all feel like real people, living real lives? And they're all now my best friends. I'm besties with a former POTUS.
Amanda
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lissa D'Angelo
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sigo a Susan desde los 18 años, tal vez más, tal vez menos, no soy buena con las fechas, pero me parece que ha sido toda una vida.
Cada libro mejor que el anterior, cada historia más loca que la otra.
Comprenderán que con esta mujer es difícil escoger un protagonista preferido, pero aún así tengo los míos, cof cof Kevin y Dean. El caso es... SEP es de esas autoras con las que te vas a la segura, de esos escritores por los que esperarías diez años con tal de que te de ese libro, esa dosis, tu droga
Angigames
Dalla Phillips mi aspetto sempre il massimo.
Questo libro è carino e divertente ma sia il personaggio di Lucy che quello di Panda sono estremamente prevedibili e poco eclettici.
Insomma non è la Phillips di cui mi sono appassionata, anzi in alcuni punti il libro si arena proprio, per non parlare del fatto che i primi capitoli sono di una velocità assurda. Ho faticato ad entrare nella storia e questo è un male. Certo, non mancano i momenti divertenti, ma la trama è facilmente intuibile.
Ho amato p
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
This one is part of a series and reading some of the previous ones will probably benefit you. I particularly recommend reading First Lady to get a bead on Lucy's character. A lot of the motivation in this book is that she has kind of lost who she is and it makes more sense if you see the kind of person she started out as before Nealy and Mat came into her life. I also recommend reading the previous book, Call Me Irresistible because it's fun and it gives you a better understanding of what Lucy i ...more
Keri
4.50 This was a real roller coaster of 3 romances in one. Let me just say that I am huge SEP fan and have a hard time giving a unbiased review, but will give it my best shot. Lucy has skipped out on her big wedding to the perfect Ted Beaudine and ends up on the back on the bike of bad boy "Panda". Now I knew right off the bat that the trappings of horrible stickers on the motorcycle and t shirts with horrible sayings were just camouflage for Panda, so none of that stuff bothered me. Lucy decides ...more
Mandy
LOVED this book! I have been wanting to read Lucy Joriks story since reading First Lady and this book did not disappoint. She's such a unique character and Panda was the perfect match for her. This book was complete perfection - everything from the introduction to the characters, the way Panda and Lucy meet, the steamy scenes, the humor and the secondary romance - I loved everything about this book. I really hope this author writes more in this series someday because this is one of the best book ...more
Ian
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

"She came closer to the bike and saw a battered Texas license plate along with a dog-eared bumper sticker that covered part of the worn leather seat. The print had faded, but she could still make out the words.

GAS, GRASS, OR ASS. NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE."

The Great Escape is a book that is trying just a little too hard in my opinion. It has all the ingredients for an entertaining romp, but it never quite manages to pull it off.

It is the story of Lucy and Panda. Lucy is running from the
Nicola Marsh
Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the only author who can pull me away from my own writing.

I read this in 2 days, which means I put my own deadlines on hold and fed leftovers to my kids.

The romance between Lucy Jorik and 'Panda' Patrick Shade is flawed and volatile and oh so satisfying.

Adore SEP's books.
Each and every one of them.
Leona
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
What's interesting is that after setting the book down for a day and declaring it a DNF with a 1 star rating, I felt compelled to pick it back up and try again. After all, this is SEP one of the best authors out there in romance and chick lit. How could I not give it one more try.

I found that once other characters started showing up (Toby, Bree, Mike, Max, Temple) things started moving and I became absorbed and engaged, just like other SEP favorites.

This is definitely a book of two halves. I d
Madison Mega-Mara...: #50 The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips 1 2 Mar 31, 2015 08:06AM
Wanna read this now 9 64 Nov 05, 2012 07:38AM
  • Rescue Me (Lovett, Texas, #3)
  • Rescue My Heart (Animal Magnetism, #3)
  • I Want Candy (Bigler, North Carolina #2)
  • Can't Hurry Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #2)
  • My One and Only
  • Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2)
  • All Summer Long (Fool's Gold, #9)
  • Betrayal (Scarlet Deception #3)
  • Karma (Serendipity, #3)
  • Yours for the Taking (Domestic Gods, #4)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Wynette, Texas (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Calico Palace: A Novel (Open Road)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Seeing Red
    $9.99 $2.99
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Trouble (St. James, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Absolution
    $3.99 $1.99
  • My Dearest Love (Longing for Home)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Choices (The Love's Valley #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Secrets in Summer: A Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Walkin' on Clouds (Angels & Outlaws, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love #1)
  • OBSESSION
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Chances (The Love's Valley #3)
  • Nearlyweds
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Sweet Resolve (Lucky, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Promises (The Love's Valley #5)
“You have a college degree? You can barely talk.” 15 likes