Start by marking “The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

The Raven Boys

(The Raven Cycle #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  334,649 ratings  ·  37,554 reviews
Even if Blue hadn't been told her true love would die if she kissed him, she would stay away from boys. Especially the ones from the local private school. Known as Raven Boys, they only mean trouble.

But this is the year that everything will change for Blue.

This is the year that she will be drawn into the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys. And the year Blue will
Paperback, UK Edition, 420 pages
Published September 19th 2012 by Scholastic (first published September 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Boys, please sign up.
Mawkingbird Not at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the …moreNot at all. Don't worry about obsessive sparkling young men with strange eyes and inhuman strength. You won't ever feel thoroughly creeped out by the main characters, and the female protagonist is not a passive one at all. She gets things done, has her own opinions, and while she does have some feelings regarding 'love', the focus is not at all on that.(less)
Romina I honestly disliked Shiver and couldn't get past the first book, but The Raven Cycle is totally worth reading. A hundred times better.…moreI honestly disliked Shiver and couldn't get past the first book, but The Raven Cycle is totally worth reading. A hundred times better.(less)

·  334,649 ratings  ·  37,554 reviews

Start your review of The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
emma
THIS BOOK IS MIRACULOUS.

There are psychics and ghosts and very human characters and boys in private-school uniforms and ravens and magical places and sentient trees. There’s magic and a badass girl and my new favorite boy and Latin and a refurbished warehouse that makes for a very scholar-cute apartment and Welsh mythology and a pizza restaurant.

In short, sososososo many things I am always thrilled to see. Every time a ghost or a psychic or a well-describ
Miranda Reads
description
Stuck at home? Got some time on your hands? Want to start a long series? But you don't want a dud?

Check out this booktube video - all about which series are worth your time (and which ones aren't)!

Check Out the Written Review!
description

You know that feeling when a book is so perfect that you just want to shove it down everyone's throat?

Ok. Good. I thought I was the only one
Emily May
Quirky loner girl meets privileged rich boy(s). Forbidden love and angst ensue.

I seem to have this habit. For the past couple of years, I've mostly been deliberately avoiding paranormal YA from authors I don't already love. The genre is a hard sell for me, filled with tropes that lead to low ratings and irritated reviews. But really, what tends to happen is this: the first book comes out and I avoid it, look the other way as other bloggers get excited and fangirl over the upcoming sequel.

Then t
Zoë
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Reread in 2017:
I loved it so much more the second time! Every character was unique and fleshed out and I fell in love with them all! Well, most of them. Can't wait to pick up The Dream Thieves!

Book 34/100 of 2015:
I really enjoyed this! I came into this book not knowing anything about the plot, just that there were some weirdly named kids and something about ravens. It was a little difficult to get into as I had no idea where the plot would go and it was just overall pretty slow. However, ha
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
i'm so glad i re-read this before carrying on with the series! there were so many things that i had forgotten. SO MANY IMPORTANT THINGS. plus it was fun to re-read, because of all the foreshadowing. SO MCUH FORESHADOWING I TELL YA. i'm reading the series as apart of the missmareadalong & there is still time to join in if you want to read the raven cycle this month!! more info here: https://youtu.be/43yx_rDnNIc plus there are lots of GIVEAWAAAAYS happening! more info for that here: https://youtu. ...more
Kat
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nostalgia has left me a weepy bitch
NickReads
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read something quite like this. I loved how Blue talks with her mom, how Gansey is protective towards the boys, how Noah pats Blue's hair, how Ronan takes care of Chainsaw, how Adam talks to Blue. This book is the definition of found-family trope. ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US 9/14/19

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I absolutely loved this book! But, here's the thing, I didn't know what was going on through half of the book and I'm still a little up in the air with what all they were doing. I just know that I FREAKING LOVED IT AND CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!

YEAH.... I'M A LITTLE CRAZY! LOL

Okay so there are these four rich boys that go to the rich school, Aglionby. They are the main characters. We have Gansey, Adam, Ronan and Noah, they are calle
Nat
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
Update 2020:
With my local library closed down, I’m stuck with the books on my bookshelf so I opted to reread my favorites. And it just hit me that I reread this book on April 24th aka the date that set off the gangsey! Coincidence? I think not.

There’s nothing quite like returning to the first book in a series to discover the neatly laid path of easter eggs that will come to resurface in the books to follow in the series.
The scene that hit me most was with the hollowed-out vision tree where Blue
Katerina
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, paranormal
“You're looking for a god. Didn't you suspect that there was also a devil?”

Instant new favorite!!

Psychics. Ghosts. Spirits. Sleeping kings. Legends. Enchanted forests. And a cursed romance. Maggie Stiefvater is an artist, ladies and gentlemen!

“Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.”

I was spellbound by this hauntingly beautiful paranormal tale since that very first sentence. Maggie Stiefvater narrates the story of how B
Lala BooksandLala
This is favourite series of all time. I can't even write a review about it, I would just end up copying the entire novel down verbatim and saying, "This is my favourite part. And this part. And that part. And that quote and these characters and all of it and everything forever and always." ...more
Kai Spellmeier
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
“Watch for the devil. When there’s a god, there’s always a legion of devils.”

When I first read The Raven Boys a year ago, I never thought I would fall in love with it, and then all over again and again and again. I didn't expect it to turn out this way.
I expected a cheesy romantic up-and-down relationship between Blue and Gansey. Ghosts and foretellings, sure, but definitely not this good. In fact, I expected an average teen fantasy novel, but Maggie Stiefvater did better than that. Much better.
Justin
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday I walked into my library's Young Adult section which is inside its own special Young Adult room. There were all these kids hanging out playing video games when this bearded 31 year old man walked into the room. He was a man on a mission, a mission to quickly identify the YA Series section, track down the YA SER RAV label on the spine of The Raven Boys, and get the heck outta that room before anyone knew I (I mean he) was there.

Mission accomplished.

Then I walked around the library loo
Cindy
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bumping this up to 4 stars. I appreciated this story much more upon rereading it! I think when I first read this book, I had trouble comprehending the story and differentiating between the characters since so much was being introduced at once. Now it’s been easier for me to familiarize myself with the story, and I’ve come to appreciate the atmospheric way Stiefvater approaches the narrative and the depth in her characters. I still don’t feel emotionally attached to the story or the characters as ...more
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”He felt raw: the chronicle of his fiercest desire stripped from him by force.”

After finishing “The Raven Boys” I have about a thousand of questions, the most pressing one however is the following:

Why did I wait so long to read this freaking awesome book???

I mean seriously!!?? What’s wrong with me!?
How could I survive without knowing about “The Raven Cycle”?!

I loved this book! It was so magical and mysterious and all the characters were so unique and well developed! What I loved the most
Wendy Darling
On a cold night every spring, sixteen-year-old Blue and her psychic mother wait in a churchyard for the dead to arrive. Her mother is usually the one who sees the spirits of people who will die within the next twelve months, but this year, Blue herself is startled by the sad, desperate sight of a boy named Gansey falling to his knees before her.

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

With those chilli
Riley
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best book I've read all year.

I've never read a book before where I love every single character equally.
Blue: she is everything i aspire to be and i just want to be bffs with her
Gansey: yes plz
Ronan: he's so scary and angry but you just know he secretly loves to watch cute cat videos
Adam: he must be wrapped in a warm blanket and protected at all costs
Noah: my precious cinnamon bun
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"What happened was they drove to Harry’s and... Gansey ordered flavors of gelato until the table wouldn’t hold any more bowls and Ronan convinced the staff to turn the overhead speakers up and Blue laughed for the first time at something Gansey said and they were loud and triumphant and kings of Henrietta, because they’d found the ley line and because it was starting, it was starting.”

(Artwork by Static)

There was so much more to this book.
What it was: a group of kids searching for a dead we
Maxwell
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Do I need to even explain myself? No? Well, I will anyway.

This book has it all:

The best characters.
Maggie (I feel like we're on a first name basis) doesn't neglect developing any of the characters. Whether they show up for one scene or are a main character, they are real, fleshed-out people. I have a hard time believing Blue and the Raven Boys aren't walking around somewhere in Virginia right now on their search.

Perfect writing.
It's almost frightening how accurately the writing fits the mood of
Steph Sinclair
I'm finally submitting to peer pressure. ...more
Petrik
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Raven Boys turns out to be more interesting that I thought it would be.

I was reluctant to start this series, not only that most of the hyped YA series always disappointed me, this one also seems like a book written specifically for girls. Don’t kill me, here’s the fact and statistic. If I go to the front page of Raven Boys, out of my friend list (right now around 600), 200 of them has read and rated it. Out of those 200, only 13 of them consists of male. Yes, 13 out of 200, AND this is only beca
jessica
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
weeeell, that sure was spooky. and went in a completely different direction than what i was expecting. but i will allow it because it was highly entertaining!

and although, unfortunately, im not as obsessed with this as much of the GR community seems to be, i can understand why there is so much love for this book and characters. but the highlight for me is definitely the welsh folklore. yay for representation!! the mythology definitely kept me intrigued and i cant wait to see where the rest of t
Bhavya
"If I were a tree, I would have no reason to love a human."

~Rating- 1.5 stars~

(Content/ Trigger Warnings)

-No mention of these in the review-

Where do we start?

Have you ever read a book that left you dumbfounded? It made your heart thump in all the right ways, it filled you with emotions, it made you scared for the characters and you were left screaming 'What is going to happen next?'

Unfortunately, The Raven Boys was not that kind of book.

“You're looking for a
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

As I get older, I find myself being tougher and tougher on YA. I'm not sure if it's because I find it more difficult to relate to the characters, or if the characters are just becoming more bland. In either case, I'm a jaded dame who's hard to please...and who's also a glutton for punishment. It's a dangerous combination.

THE RAVEN BOYS wasn't a book I set out to read. I'd heard of Maggie Stiefvater before, but her work didn't sound like
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Reread this for a reading log... didn't remember it as much as I thought! ...more
destiny ♡ howling libraries
#1 The Raven Boys ★★★★★
#2 The Dream Thieves ★★★★★
#3 Blue Lily, Lily Blue ★★★★★
#4 The Raven King ★★★★★
#4.5 Opal ★★★★★

All Blue's life, she's been surrounded by psychics: her mother, her aunt, her mother's live-in best friends. Blue can't predict anything, though - she's just an energy amplifier for everyone (and everything) around here. Her future has been set in stone for years. She will
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

Really really liked this!
L A i N E Y
Review with my funny face? http://youtu.be/mZyzt0qw7tg

I enjoyed the hell out of this book. At one point, and I shit you not, I literally yelled "FUN!". Don't worry I was in my bedroom so no side eye whatsoever.

I was simply enthralled.

I've seen people said so and so is an 'atmospheric book' and I have never truly understood what they meant before. Until i picked this up. The Raven Boys was the definition of ambien and mystery . And I was simply lost to hours of intensely joyful read.

I got so i
Navessa
This book is why I give authors second, third, and sometimes even fourth chances (*cough* Colleen Hoover *cough*). Because while I might not enjoy one book they wrote, I like to think that doesn't mean I'll hate everything they publish.

Take Stiefvater. I tried to read Shiver a while back, and my review for it is literally just this gif:

This book is also why I believe in mood reading. I picked it up a while ago and got about 50 pages in before setting it aside. The opening is...not strong. I me
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 10/2/18: Okay so I really love the setting and the tone and (most of) the characters but I CANNOT for the life of me wrap my mind around the “plot” of this damn book. I didn’t hate it but jfc NOTHING MAKES SENSE DON’T @ ME

7/15/15: Me the entire time I was reading this: ?????????????????????? (but in a good way, u feel me)

• The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • If We Were Villains
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • The Atlas Six (The Atlas, #1)
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • King of Scars (King of Scars, #1)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
See top shelves…
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

Maggie Stiefvater plays several musical instruments (most infamously, the bagpipes) and makes art in several media (most generally, colored pencils).

She lives in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with her husband, their two children, many dogs, a bunch

The Raven Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Chloe Gong has a lot going on. In addition to releasing her debut YA novel, These Violent Delights, in the midst of a pandemic, she's also...
“My words are unerring tools of
destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.”
2190 likes
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.” 1573 likes