Start by marking “A Guide to Japanese Grammar” as Want to Read:
A Guide to Japanese Grammar

A Guide to Japanese Grammar

The best website for learning Japanese grammar is now in print! My website (www.guidetojapanese.org) has been helping people learn Japanese as it's really spoken in Japan for many years. If you find yourself frustrated that you can't understand Japanese movies or books despite having taken Japanese classes, then this book is for you. It will help you finally understand ...more
Published 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about A Guide to Japanese Grammar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to Japanese Grammar

Start your review of A Guide to Japanese Grammar
Otto J.S. Laari
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Extraordinarily well written introductory grammar book for non-linguists, i'd recommend this to anyone interested in the language. The grammar goes from the very beginnings of level N5 to as far as dipping your fingers under the surface of level N1, very useful to have, least as a reference book!
Jakub
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can categorise this book in roughly three parts:

1/ Hey, I know this stuff! The way it's presented is interesting and new, so it's still useful.
2/ Ha, I'm learning about this right now! Oooh, good points there, useful stuff...
3/ Wow, I've heard this phrase/grammar before - interesting explanation, even if it's flying over my head for most of the time :D

In short: really really useful. Material is presented in logical order, and it's one of few books that actually talks about verb conjugation in
Nicole
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has been a great addition to my studies. Whether you're self-taught or taking classes, I'd recommend picking up this book for assistance with grammar.
asmaa(•ㅅ•🌻)
too confusing ?
Paste
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Extremely helpful for learning Japanese grammar, in my experience. I used the website primarily. The sentences are very useful when combined with Anki.
Sam
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The root of [the] problem lies in the fact that these textbooks try to teach you Japanese with English. They want to teach you on the first page how to say, “Hi, my name is Smith,” but they don’t tell you about all the arbitrary decisions that were made behind your back. [...] In fact, the most common way to say something like “My name is Smith” in Japanese is to say “Smith”.

[...] this guide does not seek to forcibly create artificial ties between English and Japanese by presenting the material
Stephen Simpson
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really strong, solid grammar book. The organization is a little unusual if you've read a lot of "traditional" foreign language grammar book, but the organization actually makes a lot of sense as you get used to it.
Alex
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better language-learning resources I have ever used. Approachable, clear, and to-the-point, and well-organized overall. I suppose individual mileage may vary depending on how much prior learning one has had, but I certainly wish I had known about this book earlier.
Helen Ni
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book on Japanese Grammar (that doubles as Korean Grammar as well). If you are learning Japanese, please do get this book. It will save you a lot of time.
Wilde Luo
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great guidance for Japanese grammar, very interesting and enlightening.
La_dama_de_Ise
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE GOOD: does what it advertises

THE BAD: lacks exercises and does not point to where to find to them

ANYTHING ELSE: apparently Imabi is better, specially after already going through Tae Kim's
Siraj
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed and thorough. But in the end it's just a guide, a reference book, more than a teaching book. I find myself more confused than enlightened about new concepts, but at the same time when reading about concepts I thought I had already learned, I find that I understand them in much more depth. I wouldn't recommend using this for people learning for the first time. It's better to have at least an idea about the grammar beforehand in my opinion.
Massimiliano
This great reference book contains the most thorough and digestible explanation of the difference in use between は and が. If you are a student of the Japanese language yourself, you will understand that no greater endorsement is possible.
arch_1234
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best grammar guides especially for self-learners. I'm using this with Anki combined with morphman and the results couldn't be better for learning in context.
Now that I'm finished with this, I might move on to DOJG, Tobira, etc...
Jenn
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japanese
Excellent overview of the major concepts from the ground up. I used the iOS app to go through this guide, NOT the print book, which is laid out terribly.
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本語
This book was very helpful! I'm going to a Japanese language school at the moment, and the classes are totally in Japanese so there isn't an in depth explanation for grammar.
Patricia
Jul 22, 2012 marked it as mine-to-read
Shelves: _g_non-fiction
Who knows? Maybe one day..
Maggie
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions please! 2 19 Jun 10, 2016 05:25AM

• Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Complete Japanese Verb Guide
  • Essential Japanese Phrasebook  Dictionary: Speak Japanese with Confidence!
  • Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body
  • The Prince of Milk
  • How Philosophy Works
  • Money: Vintage Minis
  • Remembering the Kana
  • Awakening Your Ikigai: How the Japanese Wake Up to Joy and Purpose Every Day
  • The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“That's why even the simplest, most basic Japanese sentence cannot be translated into English!” 0 likes