Start by marking “Come On, Seabiscuit!” as Want to Read:
Come On, Seabiscuit!

Come On, Seabiscuit!

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  366 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
It was the Thoroughbred race of the century! On November 1, 1938, the United States was in the middle of the Great Depression. Nevertheless, thousands of fans left behind their troubles that day to gather at the Pimlico racetrack in Baltimore, Maryland, to cheer on Seabiscuit, the horse from the West�the people's horse with the oversized head and the stubby little legs. Se ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Barnes & Noble (first published March 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Come On, Seabiscuit!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come On, Seabiscuit!

Dixie Diamond
I loved this book when I was a kid. It's a good kid-friendly account. They can move up to the Hillenbrand one later.
Sarah TheAromaofBooks
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book on my shelf for years and had never gotten around to reading it. And despite the love I had for horses growing up, I also have not seen the movie they made a few years ago based on Seabiscuit's life. All that to say that I honestly didn't really know what happened with this horse and was genuinely on the edge of my seat during his major races. Not going to lie, I had tears in my eyes when he finally won the Santa Anita Handicap.

It's genuinely almost unbelievable that this is a
Dannika
This book took me by surprise. I picked it up because I had to read Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit for my book club, but I love Ralph Moody! I thought his book might be fun to read with the kids while I read the other on my own. But then this one pulled me in, and even without the kids, I couldn't put it down. I learned a lot about parenting, goal setting, perseverance, and hope. I've since started the Hillenbrand's book, and love that I have the collector's edition with lots of photos, and am getting ...more
Hailey
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
seabiscuit is a throughbred bred from man'o war and many great race horses but he is also bred from hard tack and swing on with hard tacks large temper and swing ons nobby knees and lazy attitude
he has been given up on with many trys from many amazing horse trainers about to be put away from racing one old mis judged horse trainer takes him in and gives him a chance at racing can he improve him? read come on seabiscuit by Ralph Moody to find out!!!!
Heila
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, juvenile-mg
I like all his books, but this one is great - about the legendary horse Seabiscuit. Yes, there's another more recent and much thicker book out there about the same story, but I like this one much better because it's short and exciting.
Sherry
Aug 08, 2009 added it
I love the story of Seabiscuit, et al. And this was a fun way to revisit the story again after reading Laura Hillenbrand's amazing book a couple of years ago.
Jorgina
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, biography
Great to have read an account by someone who actually lived at the time and witnessed the life and accomplishments of Seabiscuit.
Ginger
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this story as an audiobook with my family on a recent road trip and we all LOVED it! The personality of this horse comes to life through this story. It was so sweet and inspiring.
Sara
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Second reading: July 2016

First reading: March 2015

Family friendly. Impossible not to fall in love with Seabiscuit; Moody's love for this underdog is palpable and contagious.
Kimberly
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the book that first got me interested in this endearing and daring horse.
Peace
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, even if you don't think you are interested in racing, horses, amazing true stories, or well-written awesomeness, you should read this book!!
Ralph moody is one of my favorite authors be causes his style is to the point and succinct but still brings in edible emotion to the moment!
Come On Seabiscuit is an amazingly true story that leaves you cheering- triumphant!
Erin
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am generally uncomfortable with the sport of horse racing, but the story of Seabiscuit- one of great courage, deepest love, and ultimately, glorious triumph- is not to be missed. Ralph Moody captures the ups and downs of the race horse's life and career with beautiful care, and Jim Weiss delivers it with characteristic perfection in his audiobook narration.
Nathaniel
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
Hilary
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We listened to this while driving and we all loved it. The reader made it feel like we were at the horse races my kids really got into it.
Kathleen Mays
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great detailed facts.
Gale
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
DESTINED FOR EQUINE GREATNESS

Moody's biographical account of the amazing career of Seabiscuit, old Iron Horse, is both interesting in detail and highly readable in style. In 1933 the grandson of Man o'War was born, but immediately passed over due to his physical "faults." Condemned by a famous trainer and abused by too frequent racing, this gallant animal seemed to shame his rich, equestrian heritage. Yet his career is the story of courage--true blood will ultimately reveal the legacy of a cham
Ophan Bunjos
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
kisah ini menghantui aku selama berapa tahun. Hampir darsawarsa aku fikir. Kehidupan begitu kejam. Seekor kuda bergabung penderitaan yang sama dengan seorang budak yang dijual oleh keluarganya kepada pemilik ladang kuda. Seorang pelatih kuda yang menjadi homeless gara-gara kehilangan tugasannya melatih kuda-kuda di persada lumba kuda. Seorang ahli bisnis motokar yang menghadapi perceraian akibat dipersalahkan atas kematian anak lelakinya dalam satu kemalangan motokar. Ekonomi dunia yang rontok m ...more
Rena Sherwood
This was "the" Seabiscuit book before Laura Hilderbrandt's (much better) came out. I read this when I was a kid and loved it. I took it out of the library at least once a year and eventually bought my own copy (and years later lost.) Now that I'm older, I'm not that desperate to read it again now that I can't help but compare it Hilderbrandt's version. However, this one is also graced with some lovely illustrations, such as this one:

description
Colleen
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
It is an amazing book, about an amazing horse, who did amazing things!

Seabiscuit was a out cast who became one of the most amazing racehorses of all time. Both he and his jockey Red Pollard, had serious injuries but they never gave up hope that he would be the fastest. Through hard training and Tom Smith, all their hard work was payed off. Come on Seabiscuit is a thrilling book that any horse lover will enjoy.

HOORAY FOR SEABISCUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shannon
I love all things Seabiscuit. I see Seabiscuit as a gift from God on so many levels. God was so clearly at work in this story. He put together the right combination of owner, horse, trainer and jockey at a time when America needed the underdog to win. I also see Seabiscuit as the champion of those on the spectrum. Improperly handled, he was a dismal failure. But with the right people supporting him, he was a champion the likes we've never seen. Finally, he was exactly what America needed at such ...more
Hailey
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
seabisciut is a great book about a knobby kneed horse bred from hard tack and swing on this book is about a horse with hope to win the race he was takin in care of many great horse trainers that gave up on him but one day an old horse trainer that is missed judged thinks he can improove seabiscuit all throughbred racing fans laghed at the idea because of so many great trainers who gave up on him Can he do it if you want to find out read Come on Seabisciut.
Liza
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was in the kid's section of my library, but it failed to even capture the attention of the 4th-grader in my carpool because of the terms and concepts kids don't yet understand: gambling, "in the money", "won by 4 lengths", etc. I think this is a great book if you want to know more about Seabiscuit but are hesitant to read Hillibrand's lengthy book. I was halfway through this book, and enjoying it, when I realized I would rather just research the movie than finish the book.
Barbara Ruuska
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! I wish I had found this book when I was a kid. It had the same spirit of Seabiscuit as the hillenbrand book but for children. I would highly recommend this book to kids who don't like to read. We all cheer for the underdog and in so many ways Seabiscuit was an underdog who achieved greatness.

Watch some of the live footage from the 1940 Santa Anita or the Match Race with War Admiral from 1938. They really bring to life the races that are detailed in the book.
Rachael
We picked this as an audio book for a family road trip and it held the attention of a 7 year old up to us parents. Great story of courage and perseverance by both horse and trainers, but this particular telling got a bit repetitive. Too much recapping for my taste, but that might be more due to the younger genre. Well written and interesting.
Brian Eshleman
This book was pretty interesting. I don't know how much stuff can be put into the author's attribution of motivations to the horse. I know that as humans we are prone to assign our own motivations to similar behavior we see in animals, and at times this can be silly. Even so, the drama is compelling.
Patrick
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book specially the blending of the fiction and the characterization of the horse with the factual tidbits of horse racing and horse ownership. So I will say I think I learned more about those two things and I ever wanted to in my entire life. Would be a great book for kids especially those interested in horses. I'm glad I was able to read it and learn some new things.
Rachel
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story of a horse and how it overcame it's label and succeeded. It also parallels with a trusted trainer who never gave up on Seabiscuit and cared, rooted for him the entire time when others were ready to give up on him. If you like horses you will like this book. A very exciting adventure of an adventurous horse.
Trish
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a classic story of the underdog fighting his way up to the top - only this time he is a horse! A bit monotonous at times because Seabiscuit was in so many races, but the author makes you root for him all the way to the end. Recommended for the Logos Library.
Sienna
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on audio and loved it. The way Seabiscuit was described was really vivid and cute. The things Seabiscuit had to overcome were tough but he always remained a sweet, perky and quite loyal horse. You should read this book!
Melissa
I read this book over and over again when I was a teen. I loved it. I would get emotional when talking about all that Seabiscuit had to overcome. I just read it to my daughters. Wow!! The writing is tedious. Hillenbrand's book is much, much better!!
  • White Stallion of Lipizza
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • Gypsy and Nimblefoot (Gypsy, #2)
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians, Volume 1
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Bonny's Big Day
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)
  • Funny Cide
  • Operation Cowboy: The Secret American Mission to Save the World's Most Beautiful Horses in the Last Days of World War II
  • The Great Little Madison
  • A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color: Tales of Training through Communication and Trust
  • The Tapir Scientist: Saving South America's Largest Mammal
  • Man O'War
  • Letters on an Elk Hunt by a Woman Homesteader
Ralph Moody was an American author who wrote 17 novels and autobiographies about the American West. He was born in East Rochester, New Hampshire, in 1898 but moved to Colorado with his family when he was eight in the hopes that a dry climate would improve his father Charles's tuberculosis. Moody detailed his experiences in Colorado in the first book of the Little Britches series, Father and I Were ...more
More about Ralph Moody

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99