Start by marking “Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut

(The Grimm Diaries Prequels #4)

Little Red Riding Hood's untold and true story. Why she was wearing a Red hood. Who her Grandma really was. What the wolf actually wanted. Where she fits in the Dreamworld. And what Ladle Rat Rotten Hut means.
Published July 21st 2012

To ask other readers questions about Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladle Rat Rotten Hut

Zuleeza
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

It puzzled me to actually admit this, but I think I'm kind of addicted to Cameron Jace's writing. Beyond all those spelling and grammar errors, awkward metaphors (I'm not any better myself to be honest), I get him as an author. I always read his books in a single sitting, and this didn't happen even for other novellas.

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (it's a very random title, until you pronounce it ;)) is miles better than Beauty Never Dies, I think. No more
Toni
Apr 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
These stories are just... I don’t know why I am even trying any more. It just gets more and more bizarre and itimidating...
description

Grammar & editing – do I have to mention this, yet another time? With the interjections every other paragraph it was almost like reading Old MacDonald had a farm:
And a woof-woof-woof there
Here a woof, there a woof,
Everywhere a woof-woof
Old MacDonald had a farm
Ee i ee i oh!

We have here: Crash. Crash. Crash.; Tick. Tick. Tinnnnnn; Chop. Chop. Chop.; Glock. Glock. Glock.;
Julie
This novella started off much better than the first three. The air of mystery surrounding this novella was much more inviting than in the others where the Dreamworld plot just confused me to no end. The whole aspect of the fortune-cookie-tree continually being thirsty for 'wine' was curiously intriguing.

I enjoyed the narrative. It was very different to the others and in my opinion much better. Maybe there's hope yet. However, it was not particularly reminiscent of a 15 year old. I will let that
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

Meep, I adored this book so much. It definitely felt like one of the longer ones but it portrays Little Red Riding Hood as Death! Well, its actually her Mum to start with but once she reaches a certain age, Little Red takes over and this story follows her as she learns about what her Mum has been doing each night whilst she's been scared of Wolves and it also gets tied into Hansel and Gretal too.
Katherine
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Boží!

“Ok,” I said. “Here is the deal. As long as you don't try to eat me, I will not chop your head off. Deal?”
“The best deal ever. I guess this is how all relationships work. You don’t eat a piece of me, I won’t grab a piece of you.”
Jinky
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
*Reviewing the prequels as a whole instead of individually*

I lucked out and discovered these prequels during the one-prequel-a-day freebie promotion (bummer, I missed the second book, I must have been having sex that day). What gems! They were strange yet fantastic twists to classic fairy tales. They were quick and enjoyable reads. The storytelling was imaginative with a touch of humor. I truly got a kick out of the takes and I think those who especially like fairy tale re-tellings will do too.
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)

This was a clever retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, where a 16-year-old girl is sent into the wolf-infested woods to take cakes and wine to her grandmother. Things weren’t really quite so straightforward though!

7 out of 10
Trinity
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

I liked this book much better than all of the other ones in the series. I think that this version was so much cooler than the real version of Little Red Riding Hood. The concept was really cool and I just want to read the novel already! I loved the communication thong the wolf did, I would like the learn that language!
Mauoijenn
Little Red Riding Hood, an excellent choice and another great story from the Grimm Diaries Prequel.
Ashley Anne
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I literally fell asleep, on my lunch at work, while reading this. Not much going on in Red's head, that's for sure.
Nessa Luna [October Tune]
Read this review, and many more on my blog October Tune!

I’m not sure why I started reading these prequels, but I think I was just really curious about this series. But I’d read very mixed reviews about it. Of course, I wanted to find out for myself if they really were as bad as everyone said, or as awesome as anyone said, and I must admit I have very mixed feelings about these prequels. This review is about the stories Beauty Never Dies, Laddle Rat Rotten Hut and Mary Mary Quite Contrary.

What I
Marsha
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults
(3.5 Stars)
"Laddle Rat Rotten Hut" is one of my favorites in The Grimm Diaries Prequels. The story is a modified version of Little Red Riding Hood and is told from Red's perspective.

'Ladle' lives in the forest with her mother. Everyday her mother leaves Ladle alone while she goes off to the forest with a basket of cakes and wine. When she returns, she gives wines to the fortune cookie tree better known as The Tree of Life. Each night wolves descend on the little cottage scratching at the window
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts

Disclaimer: I received this copy from the author for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my review in any way.

*Formatting may be lost due to copy and paste.

I think Ladle Rat Rotten Hut had the best twist, and maybe also the scariest (though it wasn’t very scary), out of all the sequels I've read so far, even if it combines two of them (I thought there were 3). It was also a better job in combining multiple fairy tales tha
Alpha
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The fourth prequel in the Grimm Diaries Prequels seems to show the improvement and progression Cameron Jace is becoming as an author. At first, I was confused on what the title meant until "Anguish Language" was explained. It is kind of like saying the words "Eye Yam Wheat Art Did Sofa King Read Art Did" but knowing that you are really saying to everyone "I am retarded. So f$@!ing retarded." to everyone else. So in prospect, this story is really "Little Red Riding Hood".

Like the title states, th
Lily at Bookluvrs Haven
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally featured on Bookluvrs Haven

Now this is more like it!

This is what I was expecting from this series. An original, well written fairytale twist... no... TWO fairytales that we all know so well. Little Red Riding Hood and Hanzel & Gretel... Those two stories will never feel the same after you read this.

Every twist and turn of this story was woven well together. It flowed and connected, and it FIT!

Thank you for the much better editing job on this one. The sigh of relief was lon
Holly Letson
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Little Red Riding Hood, who lives in a cottage with her mother, and is better known as Ladle. They have a tree outside their house that delivers a fortune cookie each day. Ladle thinks this tells her mother her fortune, but finds out differently later.
Ladle finds out accidentally to use wine to scare the wolves off. A girl knocks at her door, and tells her "Use the red, red wine.", and then flees. Ladle drinks the wine, and spills it on her white sheets, too. She uses the
Tricia (McAllister) Houseman
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This prequel is narrated by Little Red Riding Hood.
This story being telling you of a little girl who is terrified of the wolves that scare her each night. One night on the advice of a stranger, she take a bottle of her mother’s wine, drinking it, spilling the red wine on the sheet covering her from the wolves sight. Once she has had enough, or is actually drunk enough, she kneels on her bed with the now-red sheet covering her. This scares the wolves, but she does not know why. Only that she dis
Gary
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, kindle, own
Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (Grimm Diaries Prequel 4) continues Cameron Jace tradition of twisting the Grimm tales on themselves. If you have read his previous prequel then you are familiar if not fully understand of the world you’re about to inhabit. This diary entry is told from the point of view of Little Red Riding Hood.

There are several things that I liked about this novella. First was the unexpected treat of the Anguish Language. Second is this one relies on the stories told in the previous entr
Amel Armeliana
Liked this prequel. Have to admit, these prequels kinda makes me addicted. After finished one I can't wait to start another.

In this prequel little girl that we've known as red riding hood inherited her mother's job when she was turned 16. Just like her mother, her first job was brought cake and wine to someone in the forest who's name written in the fortune cookie tree. For her first job, red riding hood or ladle (that's the way her mom called her), she has to brought cake and wine to her grand
Stephanie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Make it stop. These are getting torturous. For the first 3 paragraphs, I was fooled into hoping that this was where it was all going to come together in this series. Lil lady sporting the hood of Crimson had a distinct voice which had been lacking in the last 5 or so characters introduced to the series. Her odd habit of thrice repeating words was a delicious taste of the insanity lurking in a girl locked up by Mom for 16 years. And then it all fell apart...
What the what what? Early in the book L
Zachary Flye
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ladle Rat Rotten Hut: Told from the point of view of Little Red Riding Hood, this story is by far the best, at least out of the first four it is. While the twist on Red's story is a bit shaky, like Snow's is, as the story progresses it gets a bit better, and becomes more and more stable. There was a small bit of romance in this story and it was done to perfection, it didn't go either too fast or too slow and it felt right, while it wasn't quite realistic, the circumstances surrounding it helped ...more
Célia Dias
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was the book that I liked most so far. I've always loved this story and see it retold in this way was delicious.

In this book we are introduced to more characters, we have Little Red Riding Hood (Ladle), her mother, her grandmother, Hansel and Gretel and a werewolf.
Once again these stories collide in a funny way, Ladle's grandmother has two roles here and you should already know that by the characters' names.

The new part of the story is that the maternal line of Ladle is "death", the girl e
McKenzie Richardson
(Free book from Kindle store.)As with the first three prequels, I liked the story, but hated the writing. The relationship between the wolf-boy Ladle was ridiculously juvenile. The dialogue felt rushed. And the ending was pretty predictable based on the obvious clues through the story.It seems like Jace spends so much time making creative connections (the color red, scythes, Roman burial rituals) that he has very little time and effort for actually writing the story. The poor writing really drag ...more
Danigerous
*It may contain spoilers*

I really wanted to give this one a higher rating. As a whole I tremendously enjoyed it, but there were some inconsistencies that ticked me off. For example, Ladle hates being called Ladle, as it is her nickname and wants her mother to use her real name, but when her real name is revealed she says she hates it. And all through the story she is completely unaware of what her mother does and suddenly she is well-informed about it.(view spoiler)
Gypsy Madden
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully dark spin on an already dark tale. It has all of the same characters, while it is imaginatively different from the iconic tale. The characters each have their own vibrant personalities, complete with some cameos from other Grimm tales (which are fascinating to see interacting within the fairy tale world). The only complaint I had with the story is that Ladle didn't seem anywhere remotely near her sixteen years, especially with the childish repeating of words. I would have p ...more
Natalie
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is way, way, waaaaay better than the other three diary entries before this. It gave more useful detail, there weren't any metaphors and annoying characters. It wasn't as bland as the previous ones. This prequel written by Little Red Riding Hood is plain and simple, it's way better.

And who is she really? What's with her mother leaving everyday to go to the forest?

*and spoilers, not really*

How did the wolf end up in her gramma's house that fast?

*cue rainbows and butterflies*

The ending thoug
Nobody
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap I loved this.

Read it. The tittle may seem random, but... Hehe... It's not.

I love Jace's writing. I honestly do. I got all of the prequels for free on Amazon, and I'm still wowed by this retelling. I am fairly good at predicting what will happen ext, but this book was filled to the brim with surprises. Do I sense romantic stuffs here?

YESH. Yesh I do. But I can't say anything.

I love it when I spot little bits of the prequels in the series. It's so satisfying. Aside from this, the best
Amanda
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Another good prequel to the Grimm Diaries. I thought Ladle was a little childish, but considering she has pretty much been under house arrest her whole life, it is understandable. I liked Wolfy's character the best and the incorporation of Anguish language was interesting. And we finally are starting to learn a little about the Lost Seven and who they are! There is one section of the book, however, that seems like it is missing a paragraph. Once Ladle meets her granma, there is a paragraph that ...more
Kim
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytales
This was my favourite of the prequels so far!

The mother's big secret reveal really took me by suprise and I really like how Jace intertwined little red riding hood with this new character (which I'm not going to spoil) Definitely my favourite character starting now.

I really like how all these stories are intertwined and meaningful and the more you read on the more you have this aha-Erlebnis (which is really the best feeing ever!)

Now the only thing that I didn't really get was the whole word game
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Like the last story, this one was a little confusing. I kind of had a feeling where it was leading, so the big reveal was not all that shocking. I was a bit taken aback by the mixture of fairy tales, once again. I am finding some of the stories hard to follow because of this. But I do love the twist Jace has put on the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Very interesting to think of her in the way he does. And once again, we have the appearance of someone from Snow White's story, as it seems it mig ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Through Your Eyes ( I Am Alive book 1 Episode #3 )
  • Zombie Cinderella (Zombie Fairy Tales #1)
  • Revenant in Training (Blood and Snow, #2)
  • Errant (Killer Unicorns, #0.5)
  • Inheritance (Wizards of Seattle, Book #1 - episode 1)
  • Undying Love (Undying Love, #1-3)
  • Psychosis: Tales of Horror
  • Triquetra
  • Rewrite Redemption
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Ballad of the Beanstalk
  • The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium
  • Bewitched in Oz
  • Winter Rose
  • Echoes
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
Bestselling author of the Grimm Diaries and Insanity series. A traveller and collector of out-of-print books from all over the world, obsessed with the origins of folk tales and the mysterious storytellers who spread them. Many of his books made Amazon's Top 100 Customer Favorites in Kindle 2015 & Amazon's Top 100 kindle list. Cameron lives in California. When he isn't writing or collecting bo ...more

The Grimm Diaries Prequels (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1)
  • Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder  (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #2)
  • Beauty Never Dies (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #3)
  • Mary Mary Quite Contrary (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #5)
  • Blood Apples (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #6)
  • Once Beauty Twice Beast (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #7)
  • Moon and Madly (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #8)
  • Rumpelstein (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #9)
  • Jawigi (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #10)
  • Children Of Hamlin (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #11)
“Because evil is a point of view. ~Wolf” 4 likes