Start by marking “The Heart of a Gypsy” as Want to Read:
The Heart of a Gypsy

The Heart of a Gypsy

During the Nazi occupation, bands of freedom fighters roamed the forests of Eastern Europe. They hid, waging their own private war against Hitler’s tyrannical, and murderous reign. Among these Resistance Fighters, there were groups of Romany people (gypsies).

“The Heart of A Gypsy” is a spellbinding love story filled with Romance, and spiced with the magic of the Gypsy cult
Published July 1st 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of a Gypsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of a Gypsy

Start your review of The Heart of a Gypsy
brandy oliver
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Roberta Kagan has proven yet again, to be a brilliant author, and historian. I haven't read all of her books yet, but I am planning on it, as she does seem to be ending up as one of my favorite authors.
The Heart of the Gypsy, is truly a masterpiece. I actually read this twice and also did some research, because this is a topic I don't see to much and I don't really think a lot of people realize that the Gypsies were involved, or treated the way they were.
This book takes place during WW2, in Nazi
Brandon Shire
Jan 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF. The blurb had me, the book didn't even come close. Got to chap 3 and couldn't take it anymore. Stereotypes, poor prose, unbelievable characters. :( I was looking for a great book on the Romani, this wasn't it.
Louise Jennings
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it really opened my eyes to the other parts of resistance and victims of the concentration camps thanks
Lorri
Oct 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I won this book from Goodreads giveaway. I was quite excited by the description (historical fiction about the gypsy resistance in World War Two)but totally disappointed by the book itself. The characters are unbelievable, the dialogue is unrealistic and the plot is a poorly constructed pulp fiction type romance.

The only thing I can say is that I will go looking for books on the topic of the gypsy involvement in the resistance movement
Maggie Morgan
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Although I enjoyed certain aspects of this book I felt it was poorly executed. I thought the theme of second world war resistance fighters was initially very captivating but it felt like this(and most of rest of the story line) was padding around educating the reader about gypsy way of life. There were certain inconsistencies in the story line which was very frustrating and some of the dialog felt very much like an American teen story. All in all a little disappointing.
Avi B
This was a very enjoyable read. It was a love story that had me gripped from beginning to the end. The characters were very endearing. If your looking for an historical romance story to sink into, i would recommend this book.
Elissa Mahler
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed with a free copy of this book, and I have chosen of my own volition to share my review with you.

This book transports the reader from the modern world back in time to the era of World War II. Viewing this war from the point of view of a gypsy named Nayda and her husband Christian. The story begins with Christian being rescued by a group of gypsies. The tale chronicles his journey with the gypsies, including a love story with his wife. Christian joins the ranks of the freedom fighter
Victoria
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book and I like some of it quite a lot. The characters were fairly well developed. The storyline flowed quite well, though there were places I skimmed through as it really didn't add much to the story as a whole. I liked that it was historical. I liked learning some of the gypsy lifestyles. But, I did NOT like the very graphic, very unnecessary explicit sexual content. I wish I had been warned about that and I would not have read this book. I did skip completely over this but had rea ...more
Terri Mayes
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roberta Kagan is amazing

I love absolutely everything that this woman writes. I have learned so much about the atrocities committed by the nazis than I ever knew before. My only criticism of this book in particular is too many sexual details for my comfort. I know that this is just me personally but I just didn’t feel that they were necessary. But I will continue to read everything that this lady writes. I have fallen in love with so many of her characters and I am sad when each book or series en
Erin Kelch Zerby
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

This is the first time I've read a piece by Roberta Kagan, but it won't be the last! I was completely immersed in this book from the first page. While parts were difficult to read due to the brutality of the war, I feel like Ms. Kagan was able to include the necessary violence without being gratuitous or grotesque. This love story is unconventional but beautiful.

ARC for an honest review
KelticKat
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ku
Promising story

This story had promise - the action and history of both WWII & the Romani was well research and details brought the times and culture to life.

Where the story fell short for me was in the relationships and the use of long descriptive details - that allowed me to wander from the story - for some reason it just didn’t keep my interest.

Others may find this book a better fit and read for them for me it was not a good one at this time.
Terri
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart of a Gypsy

I enjoy Ms. Megan's historical fiction. This book have a different perspective & was poignant. I have to say after reading many of her other Holocaust books, I was surprised at the intense description of Nadya & Christian's lovemaking, especially since her other books were not as "descriptive." But the story line was intriguing and it was good to get the Romany perspective of the Holocaust.
Florence Primrose
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
During World War II Resistance fighters roamed Germany and neighboring countries. Gypsies and Jews were often part of the Resistance. Christian, a supposed Norwegian, was rescued from jail by a Gypsy and joined a group of Roms, eventually falling in love with Nadya.

Interesting story of activities done by Roms at that time.
Katie Thompson
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book and I am freely reviewing it.

This was a beautiful step into history. Full of heart and emotion, and gorgeous characters, Heart of a Gypsy delves into the Romani Resistance in Poland during the Third Reich's grip.
Wendy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
If you are looking for a historical love story about what the gypsy culture might have endured during this timeframe, then I think the author did a good job of bringing the reader into that storyline.
Janet
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting facts

I would’ve given five stars if this book had been edited properly & not so amateurish in its romantic prose. The story is good & the gypsy life facts are great. I loved that part. Also, the intimacy scenes are well done.
Patricia Brown
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I liked the story it was very good. And how he saved his wife at the end and she didn't care that he was a German.
Michelle
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so. Shelley MA
Becky
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grammar and editing issues

The story was interesting, however I was taken out of being immersed in it because of the poor grammar and editing.
Jo
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having read many books about the holocaust it was refreshing to read from a gypsy perspective. Generally a good book, a little predictable other than the final twist
Scott Slaton
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

As all the other Roberta Kagan books I have read, this one too is very good. I recommend it and all her others.
Teena Stewart
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
During Nazi Germay Christian Stearn, a freedom-fighter is rescued by a band of gypsies involved in the resistance after being captured by the Nazis. Christian immediately falls in love with Nadya the beautify gypsy girl who helps orchestrate his rescue. Christian then joins forces and works with the gypsies.

The author uses the story to help educate readers as the the plight of the gypsies during this time. They were treated as the Jews were as scum by the superior Aryan race and were annilated
Pam
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Heart of a Gypsy is a historical Holocaust novel by Roberta Kagan.
Christian Stearns is in a tight spot. He was arrested by the Gestapo and will most likely be sent to a concentration camp or death will stalk him. They are questioning him and beating him. So far, he hasn’t told anything. He definitely doesn’t want to tell them his horrible story, especially his secret.
Nadya finds him and gives him bread and water and tells him that help is on the way. Elated with locating the man they are l
Kim
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I enjoyed plot of the story in this book, but found it to be poorly written. I had difficulty following the passage of time, and the dialogue was often repetitive. Parts that could use more detail often left me disappointed in the telling of the story. There was a lot of back and forth in styles. One minute you felt like you were right there, and in the story. The next minute the story was being "told" by someone, and was less inclusive. Some of the characters could have been better developed in ...more
Eileen
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis of the novel grabbed my attention but I was a bit disappointed with the unfolding plot of The Heart of a Gypsy. In places it reminded me very much of the historical novels by Barbara Cartland but in others the author showed skill, particularly when writing about the crimes committed against humanity in WWII.
Some of the characters were a bit twee, naive and unbelievable. Christian's character needed to be depicted a lot stronger and maturer to offset the vulnerability in his relatio
Nina
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was rated high on Amazon, I thought it was just okay. There was a great deal of history in the book dealing with the Hitler/Nazi times and how Jews, Gypsies, and the Polish, etc., went about life in hiding, which was interesting. There was a love story that involved a man named Christian who worked for the Resistance and a Roma Gypsy girl named Nadya. Their marriage involved a twist at the end that was not expected. There were too many literary issues with the book that bothered me. Th ...more
Debbi
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Another story by Roberta Kagan but not connected to the "All My Love, Detrick" series. Besides the Jews, the Nazis also considered the Gypsies, or the Romany people an inferior race and imprisoned them in their concentration camps. They had a much harder time catching them though as the Romas knew the forest well and there they would hide living off the land and stealing what they couldn't get from Mother Nature. One man, living with the Gypsies said he was from Norway and since he looked Aryan, ...more
Anne
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any mature reader
Recommended to Anne by: Goodreads
The second 5***** book by this author I have read. She has such a flair for writing about this difficult time in history. This one, an Aryan blonde haired man decided to go with the freedom fighters as he does not like what the Nazi's are doing. He is captures during one raid by the SS, but miraculously freed by a band led by gypsies. he joins this band nd the book is a story of how they work to harass the Nazi's and free people in their prisons. Completely enjoyable and highly recommended read.
Mary Ann
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wonderful book. Set in Nazi Germany, it shows the absolute horrific atrocities that occurred. At the same time it tells of the courage of the resistance fighters, strangers who banded together to save as many lives as they possibly could, knowing some of them would not survive, but willing to take that chance in order that others may be saved. I learned a lot about the gypsy's fascinating lifestyle,which I have always been curious about.
No emotions are left out, hate, despair, ago
Shirley
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a free book from BookBub and I was interested in learning more about gypsies during WW II and the Nazi occupation. Mid-way through the book I figured out why it was FREE! It was very predictable, trite, repeating the same lines over and over and keeping one key element unknown to the reader until the very end. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because I actually did finish it. But it was not much of a read.

• Surviving The Forest
  • No Woman's Land (Women and the Holocaust, #2)
  • When We Were Brave
  • The German Half-Bloods (Half-Bloods Trilogy #1)
  • First One In, Last One Out: Auschwitz Survivor 31321
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • Emilia: The Darkest Days in History of Nazi Germany Through a Woman's Eyes (Women and the Holocaust, #1)
  • The Mistress of Auschwitz
  • Rosa's Gold
  • The Devil's Bookkeepers: Book 1: The Noose
  • Before the Brightest Dawn (The Half-Bloods Trilogy #3)
  • Orphan Train Trials (Hearts on the Rails, #2)
  • The Vogels: On All Fronts (The Half-Bloods Book 2)
  • The Devil's Bookkeepers: Book 2: The Noose Tightens
  • The Cruel Romance: A Novel of Love and War
  • Run Rachel Run: The Thrilling, True Story of a Teen’s Daring Escape and Heroic Survival During the Holocaust
  • My Family's Survival: The true story of how the Shwartz family escaped the Nazis and survived the Holocaust
  • The Photograph
I’m an American writer of Jewish and Romany decent. I write Historical Fiction and Historical Romance, most of which is set during the holocaust. Although I never discount the horrors of the time period, the main focus of my work is on ordinary people who prove to be strong heroic characters in unfathomable circumstances.

Facebook Author page: