Start by marking “England's Jane: The Story of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:

England's Jane: The Story of Jane Austen

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A young adult biography of English writer Jane Austen
Published February 1st 2006 by Morgan Reynolds Publishing

To ask other readers questions about England's Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about England's Jane

Wendy E.
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This was a great YA version of Jane's life and Jane's England. The "pop out" boxes of information on Napoleon, Marie Antoniette and other major figures of the day were great. This particular book would help tie together history and literature and understand the relationship between the two! I learned quite a bit from the author, and I think I've read my fair share of nonfiction about Jane. I liked that she included copies of letters and highlighted things that teen readers would be more interest ...more
Slee
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed learning more about the life of Jane Austen and her legacy, but this book was written in a manner which never allowed the reader to feel like they were reading the story of a life. It was very much a "textbook biography," constantly droning on about the facts and their place in history without much personality. I suspect Miss Jane Austen would have groaned to have read it. All of the wit and careful depiction of human interaction that Austen was known for is entirely missing in this pi ...more
Emily
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 566-ya, biography
Janae
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This was written for young adults. As a huge fan of Jane Austen I wanted to know more about her. This gives you some insight into her short life. I enjoyed reading about her upbringing and background. This is an easy fast read. I recommend if you'd like to know the basics of her life. I plan on reading A Memoir of Jane Austen written by her nephew to learn more.
Amy
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
A serviceable and succinct juvenile biography of Jane Austen, this book provided good basics of Austen's life along with relevant information about her time. After completing this, I think I will seek out a biography written for adults, one with hopefully a bit more substance and style, but this one is a good basic I would recommend for any young woman interested in learning about the woman behind the masterful novels.
Sandra
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and well organized book regarding the actual life of Jane Austen. We learn so much more about Jane than the public claims to know. I learned she was called "Jenny" as a baby and that she had typhus along with Cassandra and a beloved cousin while away at boarding school while they were very young. I continued to love this book the more I read it!
Kristina
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a good biography that places Jane austen in historical context. There are caveats of current events and excerpts from her letters that are interesting to read. It is geared toward a young adult audience.

My very favorite Jane bio so far is "Jane Austen" by Carol Shields. A much deeper investigation of Jane and her writing.
Sue
Even tho' this was aimed at teens I enjoyed it very much. It was simple, concise, covered several topics, gave a good basic synopsis of Jane's life. I thought it covered just enough and perhaps could have done a little more but then again many teens wouldn't have wanted to read it.
Stephi K.
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen, non-fiction
My favorite Austen biography I've read so far. It seemed well-researched and put her works in context: both in her time and today. It had a lot of great detail, but not as much as my inquiring mind would have liked. Not too long.
Quirkyreader
Mar 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
I give this book no stars. It was full of many inaccuracies.
Amy Carter
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Great for young adults to learn her history. I learned a lot and enjoyed it. Gave little glimpses of famous people that lived and would have influenced her life at that time.
El Chang-stucki
Rosemary
Jun 28, 2012
k~
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
3.0/5.0 stars. I read this book alongside several other bios of Jane Austen. This rendition is designed for young adult readers in mind. This considered, I found Locke's work to be informative, albeit not as highly detailed as others, and concise. This book, in my opinion, is suitable for a reader more interested than Jane Austen than Austen's books -- there are stronger pieces analysing her works than this, but this book suffices for a biography (which, in essence, is the point of the book). Ni ...more
Anne