Start by marking “Waves Break My Fall” as Want to Read:
Waves Break My Fall

Waves Break My Fall

Kage is a Marine, newly returned from Afghanistan and having difficulty adjusting to being home. He tries to decompress with a quiet, solo trip to Puerto Vallarta. Zach is newly graduated from college and facing the realities of adulthood and beginning his new career. Their mutual attraction is immediate and intense. Zach is undemanding and seems to understand what Kage is ...more
Published July 28th 2012 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Waves Break My Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waves Break My Fall

Gigi
REVIEW OF SECOND EDITION:

The second edition of Waves Break My Fall reads completely different from the first edition and was far superior. It was almost twice as long and contained a fair amount of angst and drama that amped the story up several levels.

The first edition ended with Kage and Zach at the airport in CA, about to meet Kage's mother. In this edition, they actually meet Kage's mother and the story continues for several years from there. We get to see the boys start a relationship an
Otila
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Review of second edition.**

Was the story good? Yes.

Were the sexy times great? Yes.

Was the dirty talk smokin' hot? Holy hell, yes!

Did the author and/or editor bother to edit the Spanish used in this book? No.

Did this annoy the shit out of me? Yes. Especially since it was just one word used over and over and misspelled every single time and this was a second edition, which means that this was the second time they could've taken 10 seconds to google it and fix that shit.

3.5 stars but I'm rounding
R * A Reader Obsessed *
One can safely assume that when reading a book by McKenna, it's going to be about the military and it's going to have some scorching smex.

This did not disappoint.

Simply put, this was a perfect hurt comfort, with just the right amount of angsty insecurity, doubt and longing, with a lot of much appreciated hot, sexy times. Unf.
Trisha Harrington
Amazing! I loved the first edition of this but the second edition is even better. I loved getting more of Kage and Zach after they went home and seeing how their relationship went. It was emotional and very tough with everything Kage was going through, but they got there in the end and I was really happy things worked out for them.

Another amazing story from Kendall McKenna. I can't wait until her next release is out because I'm craving more of her guys.
Trisha Harrington
I am really, really happy I found Kendall McKenna's books. Since that day I have fallen in love with all her stories. Now, since reading this one, I have none left. But because I know this author will be releasing books soon, I am happy. I really love this author and her books never fail to entertain me.

This was hot and short. A marine meets a civilian and they make a connection while both are on holiday. It was nice seeing Kage adjust to returning from Afghanistan. Zach was so good for him in t
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
This book had way too many erratic time jumps....the kind that don't allow you to see what's happening. The guys meet, jump into a relationship, meet the parents and then it skips 6 months and they're living together and dealing heavily with Kage's PTSD. There's no progression...we're right in the middle of it and told things are bad. There's no I love you between the guys. We're just supposed to believe they met, fell in love and whatever they had is worth Zach staying with Kage and basically b ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Gods, I love Kendall McKenna's writing. And no, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Her books are more immersive than I find in a lot of contemporary romance, and there are sometimes descriptions and technicalities that lose a reader here and there, but for me personally, military romance doesn't get much better than Kendall McKenna.

This one is so sweet and honest with its yearning when it starts out. I love how the relationship forms between the MC's, and then later, when they have to fight for ea
Kazza
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a nice, quick, yet engaging read; and while one of the characters is a Marine, as in Brothers in Arms, that's where the similarities end. Brothers In Arms was grittier, this was lighter, more romantic and whoa mama sexy!

Kage is a Marine, literally weeks back after a tour of Afghanistan. He's jumpy, settling into civilian life and doesn't much feel like being home with his family whilst adjusting. He's gay, unsure of himself, feeling the burden of having been in a warzone, and searching f
Bitchie
Full Review, after sleep:

I'm scared to even post this review, because almost all of my GR buds seem to have LOVED this story, but it just felt lacking for me.

This was originally a short, depicting how Kage and Zach meet, while on vacation in Mexico. Kage is a Marine on leave, and Zach is a recent college graduate, getting ready to start the police academy. The guys feel an instant connection. We know this, because they can't stay away from each other, and through the copious amounts of sex. They
HereAndNow
Why is it that all the most amazing books are short reads? Boy, this one was perfect and sweet and sexy and sooooo erotic beyond words! I absolutely adored it!
Natalie
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
A light, hot, entertaining read about two guys who meet while on vacation. There was insta-lust, but it worked. I wouldn't mind reading more about these characters.
Elci
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
second edition (thanks Secret Santa)
3.5*

First Edition
2.5*
Gah! Abrupt endings are not my fave.
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
4 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Kage has decided to have a trip by himself to Puerto Vallarta, just some time away to try to chill and relax. Zach is on holiday with a group of friends, relaxing before he has to enter the police academy and starts to be a responsible adult. But, Kage and Zach meet one night in a crowded bar and they both discover over the course of the rest of the holiday that the other understands what they want and need pe
V
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW ON SECOND EDITION:

Call me selfish, self center, self-seeking and all those terms, but I have to be honest.
If I have to deal with a men like Kage I wouldn't. No way I would start a relationship in the first place with a guy that have so many issues already. I keep saying to myself when I was reading this story, Zach run!! run the other way, is still time, don't do it, don't go into this relationship. You are domed honey.
It's worse if that guy hit me and pointed a gun at me because of his
Jenn C
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did love this book, sweet and sexy for sure. The only reason it get 4 instead if 5 is that all is well and happy for the most part (Kage has issues - but he is coping) then bam the book jumps ahead and Kage agoraphobic, is having serious flashback and hasn't been with Zach for months. It would have been nice to have a little kore of the happy times and experienced the slide. Great chemistry between the main characters and Zach is just a saint. Overall a very good book just wish downfall ...more
Meggie
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. But I have to admit, the end was to abrupt, I wanted simply to read on and on, but it was to short. Both MC's (Zach and Kage) were pulling individuals. They had a true chemistry and it was amazing to fallow it. I hope we will get another story from this couple, they are a worthy.
Vio
A quick and easy light read, a pretty hot sexy romance. Lust and love in an instant while on holidays. Nice, although I would have liked more about Kage and Zach.
Gina
I enjoyed this story, however it wasn't my fav or this author. I have enjoyed her other books much more than this one.
A
My second book by Kendall McKenna and I know I've found a new author to add to my favorites list!
Lasha
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Sometimes a book surprises you; you expect one thing and get another. That is the case with Waves Break My Fall. I was expecting a light tryst between two guys on vacation and what I got was a whole lot more.

Kage is a Marine on leave for thirty days from his post in Afghanistan. Instead of going home to see his family, he heads to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to pull his head together and try to adjust to life outside a war zone. His first night he runs into Zach, a recent college graduate
Natalie
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Read 2nd edition.

I did like the story a lot but I think I would have liked the first edition more, only because the second half was so sorrowful to read. I can't imagine the pain of those who go through this sort of PTSD or the anguish of those who love them. Then it makes me start thinking of all the veterans of older wars and the help they never had available and it kinds of sends me on a downer spiral.

But besides that, I would have liked to know whether Kage was still active duty or what he w
Sadonna
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, pdf, military
I really liked this story! Kage is a Marine just back from Afghanistan on leave in Puerta Vallarta and Zach is on vacation at the same resort with his friends after graduating college. They eye each other in a bar and Zach approaches Kage. What ensues is a sweet dance of these two men negotiating their way with each other as they begin to develop feelings beyond lust for each other. Kage is dealing with issues of fitting into civilian life and crowds and Zach is extremely perceptive in realizing ...more
Jane A
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: military
This story was more of a short story than anything else. I liked the chemistry between the two MCs, but the story itself only takes place in a period of a week. For people who don't like insta love or love at first sight, don't try to read this book. I liked the conversations they would have with each other, but they were so few. Most of the time they were together they would be lying in the sand getting it on. That's pretty cool, but I think I would've liked it better if we got to see what happ ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, mm
Really enjoy this author. This story is a bit different than the others I've read by her in that Kage is a Marine fresh back from tour and trying to adjust to civilian life and deal with his war experiences.

Unable to face the attention and questions he is unable to answer from his family, he goes right on a vacation to Mexico. This is where he meets Zach, a sweet, unbelievably understandable guy who falls for Kage and just seems to get what Kage needs when things get a bit much.

I really liked
Lexi Ander
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gah! I loved Kage and Zach. The way they clicked. The slow build. And finally when they get their "quality" time together...wow...sensual and passionate without an alpha complex. I am so glad Kage took the initiative with the rest of his leave. The perfect uplifting read for an afternoon.

I loved Zach's best friend Matt. "I know you're supposed to be some killer Marine and all," Matt said without preamble. "But if you hurt Zach, I will find a way to f*ck you up." Make me laugh out loud. Great bes
k reads
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quiltbag, read-2015
First half is sweet and leaves me hopeful for these two guys.
The second half deals with after the two have moved in together and was less effective. Kage is suffering from PTSD and it has taken its toll on the relationship. The author handles it well but I felt like it was too short and more time should have been spent on this part of the relationship.
Rachel Emily
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally surprised me by how much I loved this story. Great characters...I loved Kage and how well his trauma from the military was described. I would love to read more about these guys and what comes next in their lives.
Jennifer Wright
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was a good story. I liked the passion between Kage and Zach. I kind of wish there was a little more to the drama factor of Kage's PTSD from his time in the Marines, but what was written of it was still good.
Christy T
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5
Pebbles1374
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Ring and a Promise (A Ring and A Promise #1)
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Battle Buddy (Rough Rangers, #1)
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
  • Anchors Aweigh (Maritime Men, #2)
  • Beyond Honor
  • Love on a Wing and a Prayer
  • Game On, Game Over
  • Bring Him Home
  • Unconditional Surrender
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • Basic Training
  • The Arms of Winter
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • High and Tight
  • Night Watch (The Telling, #2)
  • Under The Sun (Stories from Sapphire Cay, #2)
  • The Red Heart
Kendall McKenna
love & dog tags

Kendall McKenna is an author of M/M erotic romance novels featuring well-developed characters, complex stories, and realistic action sequences.

Kendall McKenna is the MLR Press 2013 Author of the Year. Her first work of fiction was written at the worldly age of nine, and was a transformative work that expanded on the story told in a popular song of the time.

She t