Start by marking “Last Chance Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Last Chance Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #0.5)

Last Chance Lassiter

(Jake Lassiter #0.5)

"If your cause is just, no case is impossible." - Jake Lassiter

This time, the linebacker-turned-lawyer faces overwhelming odds. Lassiter represents Cadillac Johnson, an aging rhythm and blues musician who claims his greatest song was stolen by a top-of-the-charts hip-hop artist.

Lassiter's personal life is in chaos. He loses his job at a deep-carpet law firm and moves to
Published July 2nd 2012 by Nittany Valley Productions, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Lassiter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chance Lassiter

Start your review of Last Chance Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #0.5)
David Highton
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
An entertaining prequel to the Lassiter series - i think I might enjoy reading them
Jim A
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun read novella with absolutely no suspense as it's a prequel. I would recommend it to any followers of Levine's Lassiter series. First time Lassiter readers, you can skip it and not miss anything other than the Lassiter sense of humor.

Monty Rodrigues
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quick read as a short story, but fun nonetheless.
Ed
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, novella, florida
#0.5 in the Jake Lassiter series. This 2012 prequel to the series by author Lassiter has brash Jake as a young lawyer after a short inglorious stint with the Miami Dolphins. This takes us back to Jake's career before #1 To Speak for the Dead (1990). Never one for rules or proper procedure, Jake manages to get himself cited for contempt of court and sued for fracturing his client's jaw. An enjoyable trip back in time for long standing fans, who will enjoy seeing the return of Jake's friend, ...more
Patrick H. McClain
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You Learn Something New From Each book

I have read all of the Jake Lassiter series through this book. Paul Levine always seems to weave a new bit of learning on interesting topics into each of his books. Of course the stories are great as well. I especially like them since I live in FL, my sister lives in Homestead, FL where many of his stories find us traveling streets I know, and my children and grandchildren are Penn Staters. Would be nice to see something in a book bringing the Penn State
Peter
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Paul Levine book and I now know why he's so popular. His main character Jake Lassiter is brilliant, self deprecating, a slob and so so funny. You see the words "you set a record for billable hours" in relation to a professional firm and you automatically think the highest ever. In Jake's case it's the lowest ever. Until you get to know Jake you anticipate certain behavior but he does the exact opposite it of everything you'd expect. John Grisham is my favorite author and this ...more
Lynne
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Glad to have discovered the Lassiter series. I enjoy the plot but I especially like the way Jake is portrayed as fully human, yet having compassion and integrity. He won't take a client that goes against his principles. This prequel shows how he first committed to that standard. Although he is still rough around the edges, he has matured into a good person. Wish there were more books with this perspective.

Note: the Amazon version of this I read is titled: "Last Chance Lassiter (The Jake Lassiter
Shaaron K Cypher
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Levine does it again!

Lassiter novels (and Novellas) just keep getting better and better. I always look forward to reading them. I would recommend this to readers who enjoy legal and trial thrillers, in the spirit of Grisham's Lincoln Lawyer books. Yay for truth and justice!
Steve Black
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
While I'm a great fan of Jake Lassiter, and have read all the rest of the series, this was slightly disappointing. Jake is even more rebellious than usual, which seems a stretch as his career is just starting out here, and the plot is fairly lightweight. An entertaining but very undemanding read.
Phyllis Clemence
GOOD BOOK. GOOD WRITER
Ingelise Brown
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I Enjoyed watching JAG on TV, so not a big surprise that I loved the books about Jake Lassiter. I had a hard time putting my Kindle down!
Robbie
Jake Lassiter is a character that makes me smile. I love this series and want to read more. I rate it 5 stars.
James Nichols
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Still entertaining

Jake is still the lawyer you would want if your case require a fight. As the previous books a fun read
Barbara Fusi
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wrong Way Lassiter

One of my faves. Enjoyed the book from beginning to end. Can't wait for another. Am going to introduce my grandson to him!
andrew t shier
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"write" way lassiter!

Entertaining and interesting. Well written couldn't,
, Put it down. nyxkcyfxhc said dadm up qscszlhsx! last uh B
Hi Tj
NvqzvuUakl
Ann
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyed

Not his best, but entertaining. Too short. But always enjoy it when the bad guys get caught and punished, Appropriately.
JOY  LORTON
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jake Lassiter the Shyster

I have fallen in love with Jake Lassiter! But sadly, I can only love him vicariously through the women he encounters - and as in all good fiction a new one crops up in every book. I have been reading all the books in the Jake Lassiter series, up to and including Last Chance Lassiter. This book - which I read in one afternoon and into the same evening - filled in the gap from when Lassiter was working for a large prestigious firm and why he left there to be a sole
Annette
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a short novella, the fact it is short makes me sad. But, the story is a good one.

Jake Lassiter is quite a guy. A former pro football player, but not a very successful one.

An attorney who does not want to play the normal lawyer games. He, foolish man that he is, believes in justice, fairness, and treating a client with respect. That shows he is not going to fit in with any other lawyers.

There are many potholes in his road, but he gets a case that is close to his heart. An elderly musician
Kent Winward
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short little e-book on Jake Lassiter's "origin" story. I've been reading the Lassiter books since they came out and they are a guilty pleasure of mine -- kind of like bingeing on an entire quart of ice cream while watching a marathon of some favorite old TV show. It is lawyer fantasy land -- beat up the bad guy, have the "just" case and client, overcome overwhelming odds and your previous job was as linebacker for the Miami Dolphins. I grew up on the '72 Dolphins (Griese, Csonka, Warfield, ...more
John
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first book in Levine's Lassiter series. I have read several of his Solomon vs. Lord series and loved them. I really enjoyed this book as well. Actually is more of a novella. The character of Jake Lassiter is similar in some ways to Steve Solomon, but different too. Lassiter is an ex-pro football player turned attorney. However, he is an attorney more interested in finding justice for his client than in the law. At the beginning of the book he is fired from the big law firm where he ...more
Eero
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A light, easy read. I have read a couple of Levine's Lassiter books, and generally they are fun, although I have reservations about the Lassiter character. He is sometimes a bit more stupid than necessary, ignoring clues that stick out to the reader. (And it has to be said, I tend to empathise more with brainy, borderline Asperger detectives than jocks like Lassiter.)

Also, he is rather short-tempered and prone to getting physical when he is angry. This violent temper (along with ethical
Charles Ray
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ex-linebacker turned lawyer, Jake Lassiter, is down on his luck. Fired (or quit, depending upon your point of view) from a deep-pocket law firm, his girlfriends dumped him, and the Florida bar is after his license for slugging a client. Now working solo from a dump of an office, Jakes asked by Cadillac Johnson to represent him in a lawsuit against a rapper hes accused of stealing his signature song. Lassiter is his last hope.
Last Chance Lassiter by Paul Levine is a novella that introduces Jake
Robin
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fun -- though very short -- read. I'm quite fond of Jake Lassiter, the way the poor sentimental fool stumbles about, making all sorts of messes but always cleaning them up just in time to get justice for the good guy and some sort of justice for the bad guy. This story was especially cheery because nobody died, but it was especially frustrating because poor old Jake was being especially foolish.
Tracy
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. I enjoy Mr. Levine's style of writing. He creates interesting characters and his main character is just that. Jake Lassiter is a unique lawyer with an interesting past as a ex-linebacker for the Miami Dolphins. He fights furiously for his clients who he has to believe in to represent them. There are several books in this series. This is the second one I have read. I look forward to reading the rest of them.
Stephen Campbell
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Last Chance Lassiter is actually a novella written as a prequel to the early Lassiter books written by Paul Levine some time ago. If you like Mr. Levine's writing you'll enjoy this Novella, which takes us back to the days where Jake was working for a big firm in Miami. As you might imagine, his time with the large firm is short and that's where the story takes off. It's always a pleasure to spend some time with Jake Lassiter. I really enjoyed this one.
Susan
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The lead character is a lawyer who doesn't like playing by the "win-at-all-costs" rules. Jake Lassiter, a former football player turned lawyer doesn't like working for billable hour cheat the others law firm and strikes out in search of a just case and an innocent client. A light legal case. For people who like Stephanie Plum and Goldie Schultz type stories. Interesting caricature characters, witty banter, and a likable, flawed, human lead.
george agle
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Justice For Who?

This book's title was a taunt thrown at Lassiter to engage him in several conversations. It stands as evidence that you can not leave your mistakes behind. You have to love a guy who keeps trying anyway. At least , I do. I enjoy the Jake Lasseter series.

K Agle 7-17-15
Terry
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book in a random search on Amazon.com and was totally thrilled. Jake Lassiter is the kind of lawyer everyone wants - he'll stop at nothing (pretty much!) for a client. He brings a nice touch of doing right for the right reasons to a world better known for payoffs and underhanded tricks. And he has a killer sense of humor :)
Kim Norris
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice intro to the series

Here we learn the origins of Wrong Way Lassiter and how he came to be the legal equivalent of Batman, fighting lawyerly irregularities with the power of good.
Legal Thriller 1 4 Jul 07, 2012 03:53PM

• Corrupt Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 3)
  • Blood Evidence (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #5)
  • No Trivial Pursuit (Harley Ellis Book 1)
  • Devil's Bargain (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #3)
  • Divine Justice (Brad Madison #2)
  • Stolen Justice (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #4)
  • Devil's Plea Bargain: David Brunelle Legal Thriller #11 (David Brunelle Legal Thrillers)
  • Silent Witness (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #2)
  • Sociopath (Jon Stanton #6)
  • Arsonist
  • Conclusive Evidence
  • Power and Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 1)
  • Without Precedent
  • Divine Strike (Billy Beckett Book 2)
  • Sufficient Evidence: A Novel
  • Faith and Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 2)
  • Run Away (Jon Stanton Mysteries Book 8)
  • The Reluctant Mob Lawyer: A Broken Lawyer Novel (The Broken Lawyer Book 5)
NEW: Jake Lassiter tackles the college admissions scandal in CHEATER'S GAME, Paul Levine's latest legal thriller.

"Clever, funny and seriously on point when it comes to the inequities of society and the justice system, CHEATER'S GAME is top-notch stuff from Paul Levine. His Jake Lassiter is my kind of lawyer!" - Michael Connelly

CHEATER'S GAME is a stand-alone entry in the Jake Lassiter series.

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter #1)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter #2)
  • False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter #7)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)