Start by marking “Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way” as Want to Read:
Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way

Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way

Winner of the Shingo Prize for Research and Professional Publication, 2009

The international bestseller The Toyota Way explained the company's success by introducing a revolutionary 4P model for organizational excellence-Philosophy, People, Process, and Problem Solving. Now, in Toyota Culture, preeminent Toyota authorities Jeffrey Liker and Michael Hoseus reveal how Toyota
Published December 1st 2007 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published November 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Toyota Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toyota Culture

Start your review of Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way
Matthew Horvat
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mike Hoseus, author of Toyota Culture and the executive director for the Center for Quality People and Organizations just presented at IndustryWeek.com. The presentation is archived now at the website.

I'm just finishing the book with 5 friends where we talk about the main ideas and how they are relevant and what we can do - we review one chapter per week. The author has a keen insight in viewing culture and breaks it down, at the lowest level to what we deeply believe in and act on. I
Dena Gregoire
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
For anyone beginning their journey into Lean, TPS, Continuous Improvement - I recommend this book. Transformations require companies to look at their culture. A strong foundation is important.

There are real life example stories embedded throughout the book. Some get into too much detail and make the book a bit slow in areas. Fortunately the real life case study bits are italicized so you can scan over and delve deeper if you wish.
Mike Thelen
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this book has an unbelievable wealth of knowledge to me, I simply haven't been able to finish it. After about 100 pages, I simply get exhausted. It is probably a 5-Star book, and I would give it 5 stars if it was 2 or 3 books, rather than 1 (at approximately 500 pages). Still, in the roughly 200 pages I've read, I will certainly give it 4 stars.
Aric
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Great material. It was just difficult to get through. But the material is worth digging through.
Daniel
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini merupakan kolaborasi yang baik antara akademisi dan praktisi. Jeffrey Liker, sebagai akademisi, memotret budaya Toyota dari sisi teori manajemen secara komprehensif. Michael Hoseus, sebagai mantan manajer di Toyota, banyak mengungkap kisah-kisah dan praktik nyata pengembangan budaya perusahaan di Toyota. Kolaborasi keduanya saling melengkapi.

Buku ini membawa kita menyelami dan memahami bagaimana manusia-manusia Toyota disosialisasikan terhadap budaya perusahaan. Kita dapat melihat bahwa
Allisonperkel
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
At times this reads like a commercial for the greatness that is Toyota; there is no doubt that Toyota is a company worth studying but I'm not sure it's the greatest company since sliced bread. Still, this in depth look into the Toyota Way has many powerful ideas and practices.

Some of the biggest ideas: grow your people, don't sacrifice the long term for the short term, focus on improving the process, etc are all very strong statements on what a company should do but typically avoids. The process
Krishna Kumar
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This narrative provides a great view into the philosophy and management at Toyota. The long-term thinking and the ideas that shape the creativity and manufacturing process at Toyota is very different from Corporate America. Toyota is out to conquer the world, but not at the expense of quality or the right process. People may not agree with the decade-long nature of their growth, but they cannot argue with how Toyota has shaped the industry. A great company and a book that shows how it became ...more
Vladimir Chupakhin
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Amazing book about management. I was keep thinking can I apply this or that technique for the life science data mining I am currently doing, and I think I really do. There is a small glitch with the book - I agree that the lean management developed in Toyota really reflects the Japanese culture, thus some approaches could be really difficult to implement. Yet, the book is must read for any project manager.
tomlinton

and was never happier
that I had done
all the due diligence
that could be done

All the nice things said
about Toyota's Way of engineering
did not let me down
Sunlita
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Culture! Something that very important part of a company. What'll this book give? I haven't know much, haven't read it yet. But its subtitle "The heart and soul of the toyota way" sure captured my mind.
Bob Schatz
What a great insight into a positive culture that focuses on process improvement and the general health and well-being of its people. The Toyota Production System puts out a lot more than just good automobiles. Read this!
Pete
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intense, not for the weary. I really enjoyed the analysis of what makes Toyota successful as well as the sticky subject of "culture." My biggest problem is not looking at other companies or what isn't working for Toyota.
Zhi Han
14 Principles of the Toyota way. I found it very interesting how much impact it has on other areas outside manufacture. Particularly its impact on Agile development and TDD.
Doug
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kind of the HR version of "The Toyota Way" (which I haven't read yet).
Shawn Chase
Sep 18, 2012

• Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Zappos Experience
  • Learning to See Version 1.3
  • The Ultimate Question 2.0 (Revised and Expanded Edition): How Net Promoter Companies Thrive in a Customer-Driven World
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age
  • Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation
  • The Lean Six SIGMA Pocket Toolbook: A Quick Reference Guide to Nearly 100 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed: A Quick Reference Guide to 70 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed
  • Understanding A3 Thinking: A Critical Component of Toyota's Pdca Management System
  • The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company
  • Value Stream Mapping: How to Visualize Work Flow and Align People for Organizational Transformation: Using Lean Business Practices to Transform Office and Service Environments
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Moments of Impact: How to Design Strategic Conversations That Accelerate Change
  • The Method Method: Seven Obsessions That Helped Our Scrappy Start-up Turn an Industry Upside Down
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • High Output Management
Dr. Jeffrey K. Liker is Professor of Industrial and Operations Engineering at the University of Michigan and principle of Optiprise, Inc. Dr. Liker has authored or co-authored over 75 articles and book chapters and nine books. He is author of the international best-seller, The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer, McGraw-Hill, 2004 which speaks to the ...more