Start by marking “An Abandoned Woman (Murray of Letho, #4)” as Want to Read:
An Abandoned Woman (Murray of Letho, #4)

An Abandoned Woman (Murray of Letho #4)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A hot summer in Fife, and Charles Murray, laird of Letho, is a busy man. His servants’ wing is leaking, his minister’s manse is falling down, his houseguest is annoying and his neighbour’s niece is entrancing. When an unknown woman dies mysteriously on his land, he can hardly find time to investigate her death – until it involves the whole village, and more violence follow ...more
Kindle Edition
Published June 29th 2012 by The Kellas Cat Press

To ask other readers questions about An Abandoned Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Abandoned Woman

Kath Middleton
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful episode in the saga of Murray of Letho, but it can perfectly well be read as a story in its own right. If you have followed the books from Murray's University days in St Andrews though, you will have fleshed out the character of the main protagonist to your benefit. There is a young, unknown woman found murdered in Letho and another, one of Murray's own kitchenmaids, is attacked. This is a murder mystery enshrouded in the social history of Scotland in the early 1800s. L ...more
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying these Murray of Letho books so much, that I don't think that I'm going to be able to last much longer spreading them out with other books in-between. I greedily read this one, devouring the pages until I reached the end when of course, I was instantly disappointed to find that it was over.
Murray is now a little older and has taken his fathers place as head of the household in Letho. He still seems to find himself a little out of his depth, almost as though he's playing at being Lai
Susan
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The summer of 1810 and a young women barely alive is found on Letho land. Charles Murray and his friend Blair feel that it is their duty to determine who she was and the name of the murderer. While a little later one of Murray's kitchen-maids, is attacked and at another household a kitchen-maid disappears.
A delightful read and an enjoyable introduction to the characters of the village of Letho.
Sheila
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
An ill woman is found outside the walls of the manse in Lexie Conyngham’s AN ABANDONED WOMAN. It is later discovered that the cause of her death was bleeding out from a stab wound. Who is the lady? Where did she come from? When later a cook’s assistant is missing from the Fairlie home, can there be a serial killer in Letho? One of the maids in Charles Murray’s employ has been assaulted while walking home one evening. Was it the killer?

Lexie Conyngham has captured the period of the early 1800’s v
Randee Baty
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of this author before I won a copy of her book from librarything and now I know what I was missing. This is a very good book!

It's the fourth in a series but I read it as a stand-alone. I'm sure some aspects of the characters might have been clearer if I had read the others but I didn't feel that I missed anything by starting with this one.

The basis of the book is that a woman is found on the path in a small village dying of a knife wound. No one admits to knowing her so she e
Louise Allen
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm hooked on Conyngham's Murray of Letho Scottish Georgian mysteries. The characters are finely drawn and wittily observed and I enjoy the time she gives us to get to know them. Looking forward to theenxt one.
Jacque
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first Murray of Letho series I have read. It does stand alone, but I am now curious to read the first three books in the series. This historical mystery was well-done and I found the depiction of the era fascinating.
Jack
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Entertaining mystery set in early nineteenth century Scotland. An unknown woman is discovered collapsed on the road. What is she doing there ? Murray and friends eventually unravel the mystery.
Lexie Conyngham
Mar 08, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Wrote this. Here I had my first chance to invent a whole village and community (though some think it looks a bit like Ceres, Fife, that was not deliberate!). I do like Mrs. Helliwell.
Britt
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book, really enjoyed it.
It's a bit of a cross between a murder case, a historical novel and a touch of Austen/Brontë thrown in. In the novel Murray of Letho tries to solve the murder of a young, unidentified woman. We follow his search for the murderer, but also get a glimpse of the life in the village of Letho, as well as the duties Murray has as a landowner. Aside from that, we get to know the villagers and Murray's friends, and his servants. Another aspect of the story is the life of th
Averil Provan
Nicky
Sep 07, 2015
Lorraine
Jun 23, 2013
Author of the Murray of Letho and Hippolyta Napier series of historical crime novels, Lexie lives in North-East Scotland and after some years of trying the traditional methods (with absolute and complete lack of success) she was persuaded to test her limited technical skills with e-books. When she isn't writing (that would be Sundays) she teaches, knits, gardens, drinks wine or whisky, and sits lo ...more
More about Lexie Conyngham

Murray of Letho (10 books)
  • Death in a Scarlet Gown (Murray of Letho, #1)
  • Knowledge of Sins Past (Murray of Letho, #2)
  • Service of the Heir (Murray of Letho, #3)
  • Fellowship with Demons (Murray of Letho, #5)
  • The Tender Herb: A Murder in Mughal India (Murray of Letho, #6)
  • Death of an Officer's Lady (Murray of Letho, #7)
  • Out of a Dark Reflection (Murray of Letho, #8)
  • Slow Death by Quicksilver (Murray of Letho, #9)
  • Thicker than Water (Murray of Letho, #10