Start by marking “The Knot” as Want to Read:
The Knot

The Knot

Dominic Kitchen is a wedding photographer. Every Saturday since his career began in the sixties he has photographed a bride and groom on the happiest day of their lives, captured the moment they tied the knot forever, and then faded away into the background.

But throughout his life, Dominic has felt a knot inside him tighten, threatening his own chance of a happy ever after
Published August 2012 by Simon and Schuster (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Knot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knot

Start your review of The Knot
Petra-masx
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2013-reviews
This is contemporary fiction at it's lightest hiding a dark secret that could have made it fascinating but it needed to be a work of more depth for that.

None of the characters were particularly endearing and most of them weren't particularly believable either. I intensely disliked the ending but that was a personal thing, others might not feel the same. (view spoiler)
Dan
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Never before have I had such mixed feelings about a book when I've finished it. This book is essentially a fictional memoir which pretty much tells everything that happened in the life of wedding photographer Dominic Kitchen. The titular knot comes in two distinct ways. One is from tying the knot what with their being lots of weddings, both professionally and involving family members. The second comes from the knot in the stomach, the feeling of unease or distress that Dominic has. That unease c ...more
Bob
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't say this lightly but, this has to be one of the best books I've read in a long time. Not only is it fun, moving, easy to read, and all the other superlatives that folks use far too easily, but it is really well written. The pace is a delight, it rattles along without the reader even knowing they're doing it. I finished the last chapter, put the book down, looked out of the window and realised I was in Iceland. Time was getting on and I needed beer. No easy task in Reykjavik!
Seriously tho
Allen Vincent
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lorraine Currie
Sep 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
I would not recommend this book to anyone. I even left it behind. It presents as light summer reading, a tragi comedy it states. Its actually a story of incest and I struggled to find much humour in it at all.
Bettie
BABT

Blurb: Dominic Kitchen is a wedding photographer who is used to seeing people tie the knot, an expression that also represents a sensation that he feels in the pit of his stomach. A sensation that emerges when he is in the presence of a certain person who could change his ordinary life forever. They have a secret that only they can ever know as it is something that society, even today, would struggle with. This is a tale of agonising loss and forbidden love.

Written by Mark Watson
Abridged by
Jane
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really, really want to rate this higher but I just can't, maybe 2 and a half at a push. I loved Eleven and was expecting something as complex and well-written but I was disappointed. It's nothing to do with the sensitive subject matter, which was handled about as delicately as possible, I just didn't really warm to anyone. I also struggled with parts of the ending. Victoria finding out their Mothers secret didn't really change anything and I wasn't really sure how Beth suddenly becoming a majo ...more
Clare Hudson
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Hmmm... really not sure about my feelings on this one - didn't like the subject matter and, although it was well written, I had absolutely no sympathy/empathy or connection with any of the characters. They all needed to get a grip and sort themselves out (sorry if that's an over generalisation). Would only recommend it to avid readers - if you don't read very much then pick something else - there's far too many other good books out there, in my opinion. Would be interested in reading another one ...more
Pixelina
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z2013-read, bbc-radio
Lewis
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

Light read, family drama, often funny, but not very emotionally heavy on the whole.
Kelly
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is one of those books I found myself flipping back to the cover to wonder about as I read. Because the main character is a wedding photographer, the title makes sense, but the light attitude of the artwork seems to contradict the serious tone of the book. Told as a memoir, the story details the life and relationships of Dominic -- those of his immediate family, his family as a married man, and his professional life as a photographer. Anyone drawn to this book because of the wedding photogra ...more
Louise
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Patricia Gwilliams
At last, someone who can write

So many Kindle cheapies are so badly written that I just abandon them. Mark Watson's writing is wonderful. Great characterisation. I really lost myself in this book. I'm just left with a nagging question now. Do people really have such feelings? I can't believe it, or am I being naive? And BTW, I didn't buy the revelation at the end as being in any way exonerating. Will definitely read more by this author. Excellent.
Snoakes
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For some reason, Mark Watson's novels had passed me by until Eleven was a kindle daily deal last year sometime. I really enjoyed that, so I downloaded The Knot and it is every bit as enjoyable. Mark Watson is a very talented storyteller.
I'm really looking forward to Hotel Alpha now.
Jess
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Surprising brilliant. Is it a true autobiography? Easy writing style and totally believable characters. My most favourite depiction was his dad.
Kieran Tan
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is about a wedding photographer and his journey through the ups and downs of life. While there were parts of the book that was exhilarating and suspenseful, other parts of the book was a little bit boring and it felt like it was dragging on and on without adding too much to the story. Something I liked about this book was how Dom's life was portrayed and how you watched him grow up. You really get to know him as a person and understand him. While some of the things that he does may not ...more
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, family
I thought I'd reviewed this when I finished it, but I must have forgotten! This was purchased quite a while ago on a Kindle Daily Deal whim because I like Mark Watson as a comedian so I fancied giving his fiction a go.

The Knot is both a funny and heartbreaking story of growing up, and of family in all its intricacies and difficulties.

I had just two niggles. The first was that Dominic ages through the book from quite a young boy to a man well into middle-age, yet his character and behaviour didn'
Hugh Mullan
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this.

Mark Watson is such a talent. I've always enjoyed his comedy and I picked this up thinking it would be a literary extension of his stand up work but that's not the case; it's much more than that.

This is a nuanced and compelling read. Written in the first person, we follow Dominic Kitchen - a talented wedding photographer - as he narrates the events in his life. This is such a bare description but it's best to go in without spoilers because this is a engrossing but uncomfo
Brian's Bookshelves
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, lit-fic
So this was purely bought because I recognised the the Author, Mark Watson, and liked him as a comedian and didn't know he had written books.
I knew nothing of the plot just bought it on a whim
I buddy read it with Dave (Wildereads) on Booktube and was surprised by this book

I was sort of expecting a comic book, or a lightly humourous book. What we got instead is a tear-jerking, heart-wrenching tragic tale of life,love and loss. With a few surprising twists

Simply written and gripping characters re
Adam
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Literary fiction written as if a Sunday afternoon radio play. It contained none of the witticism I would hope from Mark Watson, but neither did it have the depth nor darkness necessary to fully embrace the subject matter at hand. It deals with a middle-aged man reminiscing on a life well lived as the photographer of weddings, who lives with a terrible secret and sexual proclivities which manifest themselves but have little overall impact on the story. Feels as if the book ran out of ideas.
Lynne Norman
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Whilst this was a fairly well-written and well-paced book, I simply have no idea why anyone would want to write about this particular subject - and I didn't want to read about it. I found it very difficult to understand the character's motivations and I actually found them pretty irritating, immature and selfish.
Ruth Beville
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book will make you laugh and cry as you follow the main character and his family from his childhood to middle age. Beautiful characters who draw the reader in, sensitive issues handled well all the twists and turns that the separate members of one family can take but ultimately joined in the end.
I picked this book up on impulse and am very glad I did a very good read.
Hope So
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars, actually. Which may well have been even 5, had I not been appalled by the main plot. Still, since we are talking about fiction, it is a really well written book, although not exactly the summer reading I was expecting. Lord Byron would probably love it :P
Gemma
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, it was engaging and funny and bittersweet and I might have found a new favourite author.
Mrs Susan Bickerton
First mark watson I've read

Yep, liked this, subject a bit taboo, but interesting. Will download a few more samples of Mark Watson's books, see what there like.
Lori
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was something special. I had so many emotions at the end and even shed a tear. Would 100% recommend. Slow paced but worth it.
Shed
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of or the best book ive read this year :)
lynne davis
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of me thinks I'm wrong to have enjoyed this book as much as I have, a touchy subject makes me think I shouldn't have.
Ranjana
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
A very melancholic tragic and a5 the same time funny book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Nightingale Point
  • Filth
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • How to Be Good
  • A Tiny Bit Marvellous
  • Carrie's War
  • Summer on a Sunny Island
  • The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5)
  • Messy, Wonderful Us
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)
  • Geisha
  • Solomon Time: Adventures in the South Pacific
  • Exciting Times
  • Little Siberia
  • A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
  • Do Disrupt: Change the status quo. Or become it. (Motivational Book, Books about Status Quo)
  • Strip Jack (Inspector Rebus, #4)
  • Mrs de Winter
Mark Andrew Watson (born 13 February 1980) is an English stand-up comedian and novelist.

Watson was born in Bristol to Welsh parents. He has younger twin sisters called Emma and Lucy and brother Paul. He attended Henleaze Junior school and then Bristol Grammar School, where he won the prize of 'Gabbler of the year', before going to Queens' College, Cambridge, where he studied English, graduating wi

News & Interviews