Start by marking “This Time Next Door (Oakland Hills, #2)” as Want to Read:
This Time Next Door (Oakland Hills, #2)

This Time Next Door

(Oakland Hills #2)

Twenty-six-year-old Rose Devlin may shop in the plus-size department, but she’s never had a problem attracting men—with disastrous consequences. Recovering from her latest mistake, Rose has sworn off casual sex and moved to California to grow up, help her best friend, and make something of herself.

When Rose asks the cute-but-geeky Mark to help her land a job in high tech,
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 380 pages
Published July 2nd 2012 by Gretchen Galway

To ask other readers questions about This Time Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Time Next Door

Ellen (more books, please)
Ya know, I really love it when I get surprised by a book.

I am going through books on my Kindle that I have just downloaded over the years because they were FREE or CHEAP. I have deleted a number of them just a couple of pages in. And since that is really why I am going through them, dumping the trash, I have actually enjoyed doing it.

But this book, I started reading right before bed one night, thinking I could quickly delete and go to sleep. Big mistake.

What a lovely surprise. A big woman with c
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book for two reasons. First, the hero was a software engineer who was kind of backward socially. He kept doing and saying the wrong thing to the heroine and was kind of oblivious as to what he was doing wrong, which was very endearing. Second, the heroine was plus-sized but instead of having a poor self-image and suffering from a lack of self-esteem as is common in romance when a heroine is a larger size, she was very well-adjusted, socially adept, had an active dating life, and did ...more
Sara ♥
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ah, this book. 2.5 stars.

I am a size 16. 14 on a good day... So I totally get the main character. I mean, okay, I was a size 4/6 when I got married, so trying to DATE at my size is not something I'm familiar with, but still. I felt like I could relate to the main character's insecurities and such.... And I TOTALLY LOVE that in this book, the main character doesn't lose weight and suddenly *magic* become attractive. I love that guys really love her curves and are attracted to her and her sorta in
Carole
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Tracy Kellies
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gretchen Galway is becoming one of my favourite authors. There are a few obvious typo's in the book, but nothing a good edit can't fix.

I loved the story line, socially awkward geek falls for sassy, curvy woman. The characters are true to life, and you can easily relate to them. This book made me laugh and gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. This is a cute, funny and very, very, very steamy read.

I would highly recommend this. Cannot wait to read the other books in this series.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Rose Devlin moved to California to help her pregnant friend, Blair. (Blair slept with Rose's boyfriend, John.) Next door is geeky Mark Johnson, who lives with his mother (and is quite wealthy). It is obvious to Rose that Mark is attracted to her friend, Blair. But they form a friendship of sorts and Mark helps her get a job.

I actually started this a few days ago and put it aside for another book because it wasn't grabbing me like I wanted it to. But I came back to it and it got better and I sta
Coral
*SBTB Numbers Challenge - Four Letter Word: Read a book with a four word title.*
I was excited to read this one - actually plus-sized heroine and geeky hero. But it ended up making me so mad on the heroine's behalf for how badly everyone treats her.
Firstly she moves to California to get away from her creepy stepdad (her mother sides with him) and to look after her knocked up BFF who got ditched by her fuckboy baby daddy. Well come to find out (view spoiler)
Deka
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
because of the ibook description, i thought this would be a different, more mature love story
the female lead was just as predictable - evasive, insecure, with a horrible best friend
the male lead was predictably tall, buff, rich and sometimes dominating
the overbearing but loving family completed the cliches
there are so many holes in the story, things introduced and not explained
character development was all over the place
relationship problems were address in immature, sneaky, unrealistic ways
with
May 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
13%, transphobic joke, not that interesting anyway. Bye. DNF
Anna D.
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, kindle
Bad characters have a way of ruining a book. Fully review to follow.
Mela
Reading it I had a nice time. Especially at the beginning.

The main idea for a romance, geeky IT-guy and funny (rather) confident girl was really promising. And I took from this story as much fun as I could.

Nonetheless, I agree also with some reviewers that somewhere in the middle something weird kept showing. Like the relationship (past and present day) between Rose, Blair and John. I have doubts also considering the way Mark won Rose in the end. Couldn't Gretchen Galway imagine/write something
Kelley Marie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn’t really like it

This book was not really for me. Very explicit love scenes. Lots of physical action, but not very much else. Seemed a little superficial. Disappointing. I didn’t really feel the characters had true connections other than the physical.
Tia Tucker
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So cute ❤ ...more
Jaime
Aug 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
At first I was intrigued, but then I felt the two main characters just lusted after each other. You never saw the progression of it to become love. And call me prude and old fashioned, but there were some sex scenes in there that I felt like weren’t needed.
Sara Jo
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, especially because there aren’t enough authors writing about plus size women, but I almost gave up very early on in the beginning. Boredom brought me back and I hate starting a book and not finishing. However, it wasn’t entirely worth my time to read it all. Our heroine was combative and sarcastic and annoying. I wanted to like her at first with her positivity and happiness but it was just a cover for some image and acceptance issues. I can relate to that but t ...more
Joan
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I had several quibbles about this book. The premise is fine, but the actual story seems to lose its way towards the end and really should have been done and dusted much much sooner. By the last 25% I was losing interest.

and to be honest - did the relationship between Blair and Mark really have to be so stupidly complex? Could it not just have been a friend? I don't know about other readers, but I felt my brain wince when I read this:

{How did he acknowledge the potential connection between them w
Melissa Levine
May 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was an alright story. I honestly couldn't figure out why Rose would have moved with Blair. Yes, they were friends but come on! She slept with Rose's boyfriend. It doesn't matter if Rose was planning on breaking up with him. To me, that would have been the end of the relationship for both of them.

At the end, the whole, 'everyone was in on it', kept popping up. I figured it involved the scheme to get Rose to the cabin, but I started getting the feeling the author meant something more. But I'
life's a fairy tale
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
So my first impression of Mark, is that he's a creepo. He's not only still living with his mother, which is debatable, but lacks social skills. And I'm supposed to like him? Because unless he spits rainbows not only am I not interested, but I'm freaked out.....what a creep.

He likes the one roommate but is lusting after the other. Jerk? But the you learn that the guy who got the one girl pregnant was dating the other at the time.

So basically it's just one big trashy novel - and not in a good way!
Rachel
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
There were certainly elements of this book that I enjoyed, and I was excited to see both a hero and a heroine that didn't fit the usual molds. I found it entertaining, but sometimes the situations or the events seemed a little over-the-top and tested my credulity (I do lead a fairly sheltered life, so maybe that's the problem?). I was also a bit disappointed because the romantic lead started out seeming like a dorky, interesting guy--but by the end he bore more resemblance to your typical romant ...more
Courtney
It started off so WONDERFUL! It was clever. It had humor. I didn't hate the characters.

But then near the end it just kind of rushed everything. I never really bought that the characters were really in love. And several small plot points just sort of vanished.
Ex: What happened to Mark's concern that Rose was an extrovert while he was an introvert?

And then there's the matter of the family.
Romance writers always have a way of shoving the hero or heroine's family into their lives in a very intru
Leyns
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
𝙼.
Oct 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I honestly enjoyed this book; however I did have a few problems with it. A few errors threw me off, such as the author meant to write Rose at one point but said Bev instead, along with other countless errors like this one. The other thing that bugged me the most was her shitty best friend and how Mark was so demanding to the point where I was disgusted to read what was going on. But I will say that he had his sweet moments where the reader can tell that he was just trying to be the perfect man f ...more
K
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was enjoying the first half, as the main characters were funny and having fun. But the more I got to know them, the less mature they seemed. The Rose-Blair friendship storyline was undeveloped from the start (why were they ever friends in the first place?), and Rose and Mark started their relationship on shaky ground-- no communication, with a glaring power imbalance. I skimmed the last half of the book and didn't see anything that convinced me either character had a personal growth spurt that ...more
Vicki
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Sweet story, but the ending didn't feel like it should have been the ending- not sure if it is left open for a sequel or not. It felt like there were too many loose ends that should have been resolved. Also, as much as I liked the story, sometimes it was hard to follow the POV or who she was talking about would change mid paragraph, the scene would also sometimes change mid paragraph which was confusing.
Kaetrin
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
reviewed for AudioGals. Link http://www.audiogals.net/2014/08/this...

Narrated by Tanya Eby.
Sandra Lopez
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
How broke would you need to be to try out for a modeling gig? Well, as long as I'm not getting naked, I wouldn't mind at all. But it's pretty sad when you're trying out for a plus-sized model and they tell you you're too fat for it. What!?

Rose is 200 pounds, unemployed, and barely has a roof over her head (she's staying at a fancy home in Oakland rent-free because her roommate got herself knocked up.) She lives next door to Mark, a computer whiz-geek that doesn't get out much. At first, the two
Kristin
This book started out so strong, but the flaws ended up being too many about halfway through. Hoping it'd redeem itself by the end, it never happened. In fact, I think it just got worse.

Rose and Mark are both completely unlikable. Between the mention of Rose's weight every time she spoke, to Mark's alpha-macho tendencies, I didn't care about either one of these character or whether or not they got together. Which brings me to...

Mark. He's 29-30 years old and behaves like a 16 year old child. H
Tonia Amet
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I was expecting! I assumed it'd be another predictable romance with a typical happily ever after but it was soo much more. For one, I really loved the fact that the main male character, Mark, was a "geek". He isn't overly rich, slightly awkward, lacks a bit of confidence and simple social skills; I loved him! Its so refreshing reading or even seeing a novel that doesn't feature a typical billionaire alpha in need of dominating a confused submissive. Then there's Rose; she' ...more
Victoria Sturlini
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WONDERFULLY ENTERTAINING STORY!

Oh happy day ... I accidentally came across this author and I absolutely loved this book! 😁. I am really looking forward to reading other books by Gretchen! I just discovered this was one in a series so I get to revisit all the people in this book in the other ones! This book touched my heart in so many ways. A beautiful love story with humor, a little angst, not too much, and very likeable characters. This book had a couple of different storylines woven together t
Jennifer Lynn
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so good! Normally I dont venture out beyond the Authors I know but I really liked the description and cover of this book so I decided to request to read it from #Netgalley I was NOT disappointed one bit! Rose and Mark were like an old married couple in the beginning. I was really rooting for them too, hoping that Mark would take a leap of faith and ask her to be his girlfriend or even marry him. Those 2 belonged together!! Glad Rose finally came to her senses. I'm sad though that I ...more

• Always on the Run (Always the Bridesmaid, #2)
  • Up Close and Personal
  • Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)
  • Can't Let Go
  • Heartbreak, Tennessee
  • Let's Pretend
  • Vet's Desire (Big Girls Lovin' Trilogy, #3)
  • Cocktail Hour
  • Looking for You (Laurel Heights, #4)
  • Hate Me
  • Callie's Story (Now and Forever, #1.5)
  • Hungry For More
  • Accidents Make the Heart Grow Fonder
  • On Assignment (Queenie Baby, #1)
  • Legally Wed
  • Sealed with a Kiss
  • Dangerous Flirtation
  • Not A Chance
GRETCHEN GALWAY is a USA Today bestselling author who writes mystery, fantasy, and romance. Raised in the American Midwest, she now lives in in Sonoma County, California with her husband and two children.

To be the first to know about sales and new releases, and get a free short story, sign up for an email alert at www.gretchengalway.com.

Oakland Hills (10 books)
  • Love Handles (Oakland Hills, #1)
  • Can't Stop Wanting You:  An Oakland Hills Short Story (Oakland Hills #2.5)
  • Not Quite Perfect (Oakland Hills, #3)
  • Just Can't Forget You: Oakland Hills Short Story 2 (Oakland Hills #3.5)
  • Can You Love Me Now?: Oakland Hills Short Story 3 (Oakland Hills, #3.6)
  • This Changes Everything (Oakland Hills, #4)
  • Trixie Does Vegas: Oakland Hills Short Story 4  (Oakland Hills #4.5)
  • Going for Broke (Oakland Hills, #5)
  • Going Wild (Oakland Hills Book, #6)